Crap...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS AGAIN!

I didn't quite make it back to bed, when your reply came in.

I do appreciate the kindness.

I do feel that I need to clarify that the comment was offerred by a friend in a friendly way.

This member made some very good points. I made some very bad mistakes.

I did appreciate the advice offerred to me.

ALL IS WELL!

Please accept any misconception my words may have caused.

Sometimes (maybe like now) I need to just keep "mum".

Really guys! THANKS!

Have a great week!

Happy candle making!

Dave

You're being much to kind to the ignoramous who told you to "curtail" your comments. I'm sure their advice was rubbish. You didn't make any mistakes at all! It's very kind of you to try to cover for them, but they don't deserve it. Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks!

I'm think "I'm good" with "my friend".

It's snowing like crazy here! I have the flu and now a blizzard! Our shop will remain closed for the week!

My wife just yelled "Dinner's ready!"

You never saw a guy feel better so quickly!

A nice friendly comment and chow too!

Dave

:bliss:hooray!

Graduation day #2. I'm now in high school!

Happy days are hear for me, the sky is bright and clear for me. . .

Now i'm "enigmatic dave" !

Thank you all, for tolerating my silly postings!

I'll lay back now for at least a while and stop posting (not) !

Dave

Haaaa!!!!:laugh2::laugh2: Dave!!!! YOU are a hoot!!! Congrats to ya Enigma....and Rock On!!!

:rockon:

How do I fix this? It makes my candles look like crap and I have a few orders due in a couple days! I need to get to work tomorrow morning. Is it because the glass isn't hot when I start, it is cold where I'm working, or the glass?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25536[/ATTACH]

Hi Fallen!!

Hang in there!!! If you have got the gumption and the drive to do this right...pretty soon you will be filling lots of orders for these votives!! :) Check out this site and do online searches for how to make votives etc. You could also buy votive wax and get great instructions from any of the excellent suppliers that they have on this site. Cajun Candles is an excellent place to start!! They were my first supplier over 12 years ago and I still love them as a supplier today. Check out their site..they have instructions of how to make several products. Buy their kits and if you have questions , call them. They are wonderful!! DON'T GIVE UP.....you just need the right supplier, the right quality product to make your item and the expert knowledge that you WILL acquire with time. ALL of us here were once in your newby shoes....it will all be good!!! :)

Thank you very much for posting this! What is a good wax to use? I am still confused on what TYPE of wax! I mean soy or paraffin?! That is confusing to me. I hear a lot about this type of wax: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Vintage-Container-Wax-Blend-IGI-6006-SLAB__PW1017.aspx <--- is this any good? What do you guys use? Should I use soy or paraffin or another type? I make container candles, mold candles, and tarts. Should I use this to make tarts also or will I need to buy two different types of waxes?

I use the 4794 votive wax ...love it!! :) Oh forgot to say..it is paraffin.. :) And excellent for tarts too!!

waxlg.jpg

EmailThisPage.png

PrintThisPage.png

Votive Blend-IGI 4794-CASE

SKU: PW1011

Your PriceAs low as $1.40 per lb.Qty*** ***

Volume Discounts

QtyPrice1$91.494$89.9510$88.4234$86.87

60 lb. Cases

Specialty Candle Blend for making Scented Votive Candles

Melting Point: 128 deg.F (53 deg.C)

• Controlled batch consistency

• Smooth, opaque appearance with good mold release

• Fragrance oil retention of 3 to 6% typically

• Very good burn characteristics

• Working/pouring temperatures should be in the range of 165 to 185 deg.F (74 to 85 deg.C).

• Use fragrances specifically designed for candles.

• Not a free standing wax, needs to be contained in a tight fitting votive holder.

Edited by puma52

I use the paraffin 4786 container wax for my containers, but it requires a second pour just like the 4794 does. There are SO many different waxes out there, but a lot of times if you at least have a starting point , that can really help you out. You might want to find a supplier where you can order a 10# slab of each and just try them out and see what you think and then maybe try out some other waxes. It is all fun!! :)

I received some friendly advice today by PM, suggesting that I should curtail my posting a bit, because not everyone on the board is "getting" me, so reading this picks up my spirit a bit.
Don't know how I missed this. I've read through the posts about the original topic and this one.

Dave ~ Don't have a clue who sent you that PM but my sentiments are spoken throughout this thread on the topic. Be yourself. Post all you want, how you want and when you want.

FallenCandle ~ Welcome to the world of candlemaking and the forum. We've all been in your shoes. The chandlers on this forum will give you valuable info. Good luck in your candle making.

Edited by jeanie353

Thank you very much for posting this! What is a good wax to use? I am still confused on what TYPE of wax! I mean soy or paraffin?! That is confusing to me. I hear a lot about this type of wax: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Vintage-Container-Wax-Blend-IGI-6006-SLAB__PW1017.aspx <--- is this any good? What do you guys use? Should I use soy or paraffin or another type? I make container candles, mold candles, and tarts. Should I use this to make tarts also or will I need to buy two different types of waxes?

For making candles, soy wax is much harder to work with, and takes much longer than paraffin, and takes a bigger investment of money, before you get a consistently good product that you'd want to sell, but it won't throw as as strong a scent as the best-made paraffin candles no matter how well you learn to make soy candles. Also, none of the hype you read online about soy being greener, more natural, or more non-toxic than paraffin is true; that's all hype.

I would start with the paraffin kit from either Peak or Cajun. Go with Cajun if you want to use glass jars, and Peak of you want to use the tins. Both kits use IGI 4630 paraffin, which is a great wax to start with since it throws a strong scent and is comparatively easy to work with.

Edited by HorsescentS

Dave, just read this thread, and it is a pleasure to have you here. Anyone who suggests curtailing you comments by pretending to give "friendly advice" is.... never mind, I will be nice for once.

Love your posts, love your sense of humor, and to Dave's "secret PMer" I say (in a friendly way, of course),"why such advice? we get 'it" and those who do not, tough cookies, they can use the ignore button" :rolleyes2

Welcome, Dave!

P.S. Thanks to FaithfulScenter, I am now craving pizza.

Edited by Ravens
typo

Is there actually an "ignore" button?

I can send the moderators an image or characature (sp?) of myself to represent that feature if they want one.

GOD! I AM AN IDIOT !!!

I'm going to see if I can't find some mittens to wear so I can't type.

I'm banning myself from the board, before the moderators move in!

"Enigmatic and anoying nube' Dave"

Is there actually an "ignore" button?

I can send the moderators an image or characature (sp?) of myself to represent that feature if they want one.

GOD! I AM AN IDIOT !!!

I'm going to see if I can't find some mittens to wear so I can't type.

I'm banning myself from the board, before the moderators move in!

"Enigmatic and anoying nube' Dave"

Please stop putting yourself down and keep posting your wonderful comments! That so-called "friend" who told you to "curtail" your comments really did a job on your head! Some of us have ideas about who did that, but it's only speculation. You were doing great, we were all loving your delightful comments, and "she" really gave you a complex.

please stop putting yourself down and keep posting your wonderful comments! That so-called "friend" who told you to "curtail" your comments really did a job on your head! Some of us have ideas about who did that, but it's only speculation. You were doing great, we were all loving your delightful comments, and "she" really gave you a complex.

ditto!

Please remember I never even mentioned the sex of my friend.

My "friend" let me know that (he/she) received some PM's from other members wanting to know who this "self appointed" "high Roller" was (Me!)

I actually did appreciate the head's up, because it's really important for my own emotional health, that I want to not be thought of as arrogant or a "high roller".

Our shop is doing so badly right now, for a number of reasons, mostly my health, though, that we are faced with some tough decisions not only about our candle business but our whole operation which we began in earnest in 1997.

We have a pretty large investment in fixtures and infrastructure at our farmer's market shop with no lease at all. We are there at the whim of the owner & manager. It is very disturbing to be in the situation we are in right now.

Of course, the "insurance denied" and unpaid hospital (three Hospitals) and doctors (over a dozen) bills are starting to arrive weekly. Our savings are dissolving and I would rather post on this board than make jewelry or candles to sell. Either is difficult while stuck in this chair. Being sick since Thansgiving with three episodes of some really nasty bugs hasn't helped either.

Now we have crappy weather. It's too complicated to explain, but we will probably lose two weeks worth of sales, yet the "rent due will still accrue".

(I like to rhymn things! I told a mortician buddy one time, if he got to me before they got to him, to make sure to put a great big grin on my face, but I won the race and they closed his place. (Another run-on sentence, but it is a fine rhymn.)

I realize that I'm whining, but, please believe me when I say, I still appreciate my friend. A point or two (he/she) brought up was actually very accurate.

When I joined another board I settled in a bit before I started posting very much. As I have mentioned, I have limited contact with others and I find this board to be very enjoyable as well as highly informative.

So many members have been so kind to me already; I really feel quite happy to be on here.

After I call a supplier I have mentioned in a different "buried" (I hope) post I may relax a bit. I want to explain myself to that person whom I like quite a bit.

I've been around the block a couple of times, and I'm the only one that I will allow myself to call me a "chicken" without a protest, so to quote John Wayne some;

Unless the moderators shut me down, I will try hard to be a good member of the board; "God willin' and the creek don't rise."

Thanks once again for your concerns. I promise though, this isn't as bad as when my former girlfriend and ex-wife (now deceased) told me; "I'm pregnant"!

I thought my life was over then, but a daughter, now 43 and three wonderful grandchildren later, makes me wish my still lovely second wife of nearly 40 years had made a few babies with me, of our own! I do have an awesome step-daughter and her two sons and hubby, who I love more than life itself. Sometimes we never really know when we are actually being handed a gift.

I was blessed today!

I woke up!

It's also stopped snowing!

Dave

Please remember I never even mentioned the sex of my friend.

My "friend" let me know that (he/she) received some PM's from other members wanting to know who this "self appointed" "high Roller" was (Me!)

ANYBODY who thought you were a "self appointed high roller" is a total moron! And there are several mean, nasty morons on this board. Avoid the Off Topic section if you don't want to tangle with the worst of them. I'm positive that anyone who took offense at your posts was merely feeling threatened, as well they should when someone who is REALLY and TRULY more knowledgeable and experienced than they are shows up and KINDLY shares their information without lording it over everybody like THEY do.

Unless your friend sent you screenshots of those messages, I would be skeptical if your friend really did receive those messages about you. And if "she" did receive those messages about you, she should have told those morons off and not bothered you with what they said or told you to "curtail" your comments, like "she" was siding with the morons who complained.