Oh NO!

Did it again, can't believe what a klutz I am :rolleyes: . Have broken two thermometers in the last two weeks. Dropped them :mad: . Today it broke in my wax :eek: That's it! Time for a digital one. Anyone know where I can get a good one and what type I should look for?

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about instant-read thermometers and how great they are. If you search the old board maybe you'll find it.

BTW, if your broken thermometers were the mercury-filled kind, you do know that stuff is highly toxic, right?

Try Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens & Things in their kitchen gadgets section. They have a few digital thermometers that go for about $15 (I always use my 20% off or $5 off $15 purchase coupons :D ) The one I really like is the one that has a head that swivels up & down.

HTH!

*D*

Lone Star has one under equipment for $15.95

Don't know how I would exist without it, comes with a cover for the probe, extra battery and it is totally digital and fast.

I am getting ready to order a second one here.

Oh and the probe cover has a clip so you can clip it to your pocket or shirt

It is just like the ones chefs use.....I went to the restaurant supply store here and wanted to buy one, they had the same one and it was $22.95

HTH

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about instant-read thermometers and how great they are. If you search the old board maybe you'll find it.

BTW, if your broken thermometers were the mercury-filled kind, you do know that stuff is highly toxic, right?

I absolutely LOVE my instant read thermometer. I bought from Target or Walmart for under 6.00. Works like a dream! (and quite durable... ;) )

Lone Star has one under equipment for $15.95

Don't know how I would exist without it, comes with a cover for the probe, extra battery and it is totally digital and fast.

I am getting ready to order a second one here.

Oh and the probe cover has a clip so you can clip it to your pocket or shirt

It is just like the ones chefs use.....I went to the restaurant supply store here and wanted to buy one, they had the same one and it was $22.95

HTH

I'm familiar with that thermometer from my beer brewing days and still have one lying around, but I don't use it for candlemaking. It's a matter of personal preference, but I think versus a candy thermometer it's a toss up. It seems pretty accurate but not necessarily more accurate, plus it's small, short and tricky to hold onto. You wouldn't want it to accidentally slip out of your fingers when checking a full pot of wax because that would probably be the end of it. It's fragile like the candy thermometer, just in a different way. By the way, it's $8.99 on Amazon.com and probably the local Bed Bath and Beyond.

What would be ideal is one of those digital thermometers that has a probe that's attached to the readout portion by a long thin cord. That way the probe can go in the container and the display can sit on a nearby surface. I tried one of those that was made for kitchen use but I did some tests and it didn't seem accurate enough.

This thread inspired me to have another look around to see what sort of thermometers might be available.

Looks like there's an improved version of the Taylor that's waterproof, a little longer, and even has a calibration feature. It's $14.99 on Amazon here.

I noticed Taylor also has one of those corded probe oven thermometers (click here). The last time I tried of these I was concerned about the accuracy, but Taylor's cheap thermometers are usually pretty good that way plus this one can be calibrated.

Hmmm, I think it's time for a shiny new digital thermometer!

I have the same one as E. Love it. The readout portion has a magnet and I just stick it on the stove hood. Got it at Target. All I remember is it was less than $20. Had it for over a yr. now and haven't even had to changed the battery. Looked at our local Walmart and couldn't find anything other than the little meat one.

I got mine at Linens and Things but have also seen them at Target. Personally I don't think the non-digital ones are that accurate. I had 3 that all gave me different readings in the same pot of wax :confused: