Question about Milk Soaps

pixie

Every time I try to make a milk soap, the end product turns out an off white, beige or slight orangey. Is there a way to make soaps that will stay white? I know coconut milk will but I am wanting to use an animal based milk, like cream or buttermilk, cow or goat.

The cooler you keep the mixture the lighter the color will be.

If your blend of lye&milk get too warm they begin to caramelize (turning from white to ivory to yellow to orange depending on the amount of heat).

Gelling your soap will also darken it.

1) keep the 'batter' cool

2) don't gel.

I use 100% fresh goat's milk in my CP soaps and put in the freezer immediately, so as not to gell, and get an off white/ivory color every time. I also make a 100% hemp milk soap and since that's a bit darker color milk, my soaps are more tan. Embrace the color, you don't really need a 'white' bar of soap, it's the recipe of oils/butters and how it makes your skin feel that's important!! :cool2:

Well I absolutely do not have room in my freezer to put my soap in mold in there.

I have tried by the frozen goat milk method and chilled gm added at light trace. The latter works the best for me and I don't gel. But I still get a tannish color so I use only fragrances that work well with a tan or darker colored soap.