So upset

Dolphin146

I was away from making tarts for about 2 years. Until this year when I got the bug again. Now I am making tarts again. I decided to order a box of EcoSoya PB plus my other supplies. Well after much testing with different scents and dyes the PB is not going to work anymore. :angry2: For some reason my tarts are not coming out how I want them. At first I thought it was just me. I am very picky about my work. But family and friends also noticed a difference in them. Now every dye looks chalky after they sit. The scent smell just doesn't seem right. Kind of an funky scent. They also have been cracking real easy. I am just not happy with this wax anymore. I thought well maybe I am doing something wrong. But tonight I made some new tarts using a 50/50 soy parafin wax. The color looks great. The CT is wonderful nice and strong. Tomorrow I will test in a warmer to see how long they last and how the HT is. Did they change the PB wax? I am thinking maybe thats the problem. I did see a thread about them changing the label color a while back. Maybe with the new label they also changed how they make this wax. So now what I have left will be used for firestarters. I am now keeping my fingers crossed that this new wax will work out great for me. If not I'll be back to tring other waxes. Sorry about the long post but I just had to vent.

I still use PB and have for the past three years. I haven't noticed any change at all. I'm wondering where you got it and maybe you could call and ask them what might be going on. I have a PB melt sitting on my desk that's been there for 5 months. Still looks the same so maybe you need to really call.

I'm wondering if you got a batch of old wax? Soy wax doesn't keep forever. After re-reading am I now understanding you were using old wax?

I also use Ecosoya PB mixed, and in the beginning I had some issues but what I found is PB like most wax has to be cured. even if its just 2-4 days you will see a big difference. Now I have only tried 1 other wax for melts which was golden brand 416, which I love but hate the love the look.....I may go back and play with that

I use a mix of PB and Xcel and get awesome results. I tried PB on its own and I liked it but didn't get the results I wanted. I added the Xcel and wow,what a difference! I also let them cure for a week before testing. I've had Tinsel from NG going for 3 days nonstop and it still smells good.

I go back and forth with Suzy's blend and 415

I think the Xcel lasts much longer but the cold throw seems better with 415- and my original blend with 135 had both going on but get real chalky looking after a couple weeks! So needless to say when I pour melts I go back and forth and keep taking notes ...I like them both!

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to pass along something I recently discovered. Last fall, I was making some votives and tarts over a couple week period with Ecosoya PB, and everything was fine. No problems. I then cleaned out my melting pot and went back to pouring container candles through Christmas. After Christmas, I needed to restock on tarts, so I melted a fresh batch of PB wax and went to work. Funny enough, there were the problems described above the next day -- cracking, not good appearance, etc. I then made another batch, with no problems. It occurred to me that in both the fall and now, I melted down some PB, then it cooled back to solid overnight, and then I melted it again before using it to make tarts. When I remelted and repoured the messed up tarts, they were fine.

It is possible that PB might need to be "tempered" before using it. I now don't go straight from the box to melting and pouring; but instead, melt a pot down one day (no FO or dye), let it cool to solid overnight, and then remelt it, draw off what I need, add FO and dye, then pour. My votives and tarts are all much better, and I have noticed fewer problems with the votives having air pockets.

Just a thought.

Sorry to change the subject- I bought about 4 50lb boxes of 464 this past fall and hearing that soy doesn't last forever has me worried. I knew it had a shelf life but I figured it was at least a year or more. Does anyone know roughly how long does it lasts?

I have used 2 boxes already so I have 2 more left. I was able to buy in bulk finally and thought this was a great way to save on my costs.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to pass along something I recently discovered. Last fall, I was making some votives and tarts over a couple week period with Ecosoya PB, and everything was fine. No problems. I then cleaned out my melting pot and went back to pouring container candles through Christmas. After Christmas, I needed to restock on tarts, so I melted a fresh batch of PB wax and went to work. Funny enough, there were the problems described above the next day -- cracking, not good appearance, etc. I then made another batch, with no problems. It occurred to me that in both the fall and now, I melted down some PB, then it cooled back to solid overnight, and then I melted it again before using it to make tarts. When I remelted and repoured the messed up tarts, they were fine.

It is possible that PB might need to be "tempered" before using it. I now don't go straight from the box to melting and pouring; but instead, melt a pot down one day (no FO or dye), let it cool to solid overnight, and then remelt it, draw off what I need, add FO and dye, then pour. My votives and tarts are all much better, and I have noticed fewer problems with the votives having air pockets.

Just a thought.

Since I have been tempering my PB I haven't had any more trouble with it. I find that tempering it does help with some of the problems