How long do you REALLY wait??? ~~soy container candle curing times~~

These candles are burning a hole in my pocket.... :laugh2:

The first batch that I made...I did an initial burn (of one of the 2 poured). Wasn't happy with the HT.

So I put a cap on my excitement....and let it sit, re-lit, and got better HT. Let it sit for a bit longer, and got even better HT...you catch my drift.

SO...how long do you let your soy candles cure before test burning?

I'm so anxious to test some of the other scents that I've recently poured, but I know, the longer I wait the better. My heart (or should I say my nose) is getting a head of my brain.

Thanks~

♥ Holly

This question has been asked/answered many times. Different people use different waxes so the answers vary. You can use the search tool or Google site search to find the opinions of others who use YOUR wax. The FO and supplier have a lot to do with this also. There isn't ONE answer.

You did not mention what wax you are using nor the amount of FO. That makes a difference.

I use NatureWax C3 with 1 oz. PP of FO. I let my candles cure for 1 week before testing. SOME FOs can take as much as a month to develop well in the wax. You simply have to test to learn which ones need a longer cure.

...And I REALLY wait at least 1 week before testing.

Yes Stella is correct that curing the candle longer will definitely help with the hot throw.

But....... (LOL) I only wait 24-48 hours and if the candles hot throw is not good, I ditch the oil.

Plus...... I do use more than 1oz of oil in many of my candles.

So......... It all depends on your wax, oil %, patience, and how you want your candle to perform.

I pour and ship many candles and I NEED them to throw in at least 4 days so when my customers receive them, the work.. I would hate to tell my customers. Please don't burn your candle for a week more so it can cure.. So that is my delima with the wait a week or more..

To sum it up... Everyone will have a different opinion on this question. Cure time will range from 24 hrs to A MONTH!! LOL

I refuse to wait, I don't have time to fart around with FO's that won't produce a good throw within 2 days. As Naturally said there are way too many other FO's that throw great with a 24 - 48 hour wait and they only get better with age! :cool2:

I'll allow FO's that take a week or so to cure, much more than that I find a different one. If it is one I love then that is fine, it can cure away!!

Since I do mostly shipped items, if I don't already have that item poured, I imagine that it will take 3-7 days depending on shipping to get to the customer. Thus the 7 days. If it seems like it is going to take a shorter shipping time I will put a date for "best use after cure" on the product.

Anything over a week is pour way ahead or my own likes.

• 1 month later...

I've recently switched suppliers that actually test their oils in the wax I use hoping I can get immediate throw. There is ONE FO that I love and my last tests it took 2 weeks to cure :( I just poured some more using 1.5 oz per lb. and I wicked up. It is Cracklin Birch from NG -- I am using 415. Anyone else know if this actually takes this much of a cure time or I must have messed up on the round one when I tried it the first time?

Thanks!

I've recently switched suppliers that actually test their oils in the wax I use hoping I can get immediate throw. There is ONE FO that I love and my last tests it took 2 weeks to cure :( I just poured some more using 1.5 oz per lb. and I wicked up. It is Cracklin Birch from NG -- I am using 415. Anyone else know if this actually takes this much of a cure time or I must have messed up on the round one when I tried it the first time?

Thanks!

I know how you feel..everyone raves about Amish Harvest, but for me, it was a dud. Cure time vs. Screwed up, lol.

Each person must decide how patient they are willing to be when pouring candles for scenting purposes. The sheer amount of testing - tweaking amount of FO, wicking, cure times, etc. can be mind boggling in its detail depending on how meticulous one wants (or needs) to be with each and every candle they make.

One makes rules for themselves at some point to avoid insanity. Use X amount of FO with wick size X in X container and let it cure X amount of time before testing. Do I retest? Yes or no. If I do retest, how many times? Do I reorder from someone else to test? Yes or no.

Thanks!

Cracklin Birch is B**** to wick and get HT for me! LOL I just re-poured it again and went with CDN wicks on it and hope it works- I LOVE that scent and its one of the ones that sell out first in melts! I think this is one I will have to cut back the FO if it doesnt work this time

waaahaaahaaa!!! *shudder* I WANT it to work so bad! LOL.. and same with me, I just got an order for pounds of melts in that scent.

I did get a really nice HT using Cracklin' Birch in a 9 oz. straight side jar and a CD12 wick BUT it took TWO WEEKS! It was burning in the kitchen at back of the house, and you could smell it at the front of the house (about 1600-1700 sf home)

This weekend I poured in same jar, this time I wicked up to a CD16. I have some HTP wicks to try next if I can't get a HT.

On the original note, I truly desire - as a busy mom and business owner, I ultimately want to have stuff throw within 2-3 days. I don't want to have to wait any longer than that - especially in the time of demand!

9 oz. straight side jar and a CD12 wick... This weekend I poured in same jar, this time I wicked up to a CD16

Why did you jump 2 sizes? How big is the diameter of a 9 oz. straight side jar? How much FO did you use? (I THINK I found it a few replies up)

So if I am reading all of your posts correctly, you wicked up 2 sizes AND increased the FO load on a single test candle? How will you know what to adjust of it doesn't work out right?

as a busy mom and business owner, I ultimately want to have stuff throw within 2-3 days. I don't want to have to wait any longer than that - especially in the time of demand!

In the time of demand, you should have candles poured and in stock.

Hi Stella - I am sorry I did not give accurate information or I muddied it up a bit :)

I initially used 1 oz pp and CD12 wick and a dud, then 2nd time 1.5 oz pp - using a CD12 wick in the 9 oz salsa that is about 3" diam. It took 2 weeks to get a throw from that candle which I had thought was an altogether dud but said what the heck and lit it again at the roughly 2 week mark and it was great!

So... I came in here and read about that oil needing wicked up and being difficult, so for the third pour, I wicked up to CD16, still using 1.5 oz pp because I didn't have any CD14 to be found (I think I hid them somewhere)

To answer your question, I did wick up 2 sizes but I did not change the oil percentage or any other factors like heating or pouring temperature.

I do try to keep candles poured and in stock but it never feels like I have enough and would "prefer" in a "perfect" world to have the majority of my scents in my line up throw sooner rather than later. But this isn't the perfect world LOL

Was it a bad idea to wick up 2 sizes in that container? I haven't tested any yet, I just poured them Sunday evening. Planned on doing that tonight.

I don't know what kind of wax you're using (I admire the 415 user) but seems like you have the testing down just fine. I use an 18cdn in the 12 oz salsa and a 16cdn in the 16 oz salsa. The jar configuration in the 12 oz is a square and the 16 oz is tall and more rectangular; so the heat is concentrated differently. I get great mp in my 70/30 soy blend with a 6-7% fo load. HTH

Steve

Was it a bad idea to wick up 2 sizes in that container?
Yes. If you are testing methodically you go up in steps. Since you didn't get a good throw with the 12, you upped the amount of FO instead of going up one size in the wicking. So when the 12 didn't work with even MORE oil, you jumped two sizes. That makes zero sense. Not having the correct size means you wait until you DO have the correct size or you will NOT have the CD 14 data represented in your testing.

Go back and test 1 oz. with a CDN 14. THEN test 1.5 oz with a CDN 14 and see if it makes enough difference in HT to warrant going up on your FO cost by 50% AND then note the amount of frosting, etc. that happens as a result of the added amount of FO. Frosting issues are not always apparent right after pouring. Accurate testing takes time. I see you are not using dye, so observing the rate of frosting will be more difficult.

Not just to MTR, but many of you new folks are posting questions/results etc. in threads that have nothing to do with those waxes, the topic etc. PLEASE post questions about the candles YOU are testing in a separate thread or at least make sure the topic is discussing the same wax as you are using... Post the necessary data about your candle in each thread because no one wants to have to review several pages to get your information all collected in one place...

It makes locating information later much harder if we discuss things in places where no one would think to look for them - like who would look for 415 tests with CDs in a thread about curing time?

Sorry to fuss, just sayin'...

Edited by Stella1952

• 1 year later...

An update to my previous response- while I wait a week to test my candles I am finding lately that they are better after 1-2 months of curing. I have several that I am testing at a time and as I am testing after a month or two later the HT is wonderful. I had thought that I wanted to start making candles fresh as they were ordered but now I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to make a few ahead of time. By the time they were ordered they would have had a good amount of time to cure. Hmmm... choices choices.

Well Jack, I'm starting to wonder the same thing.

I went on a pouring tester rampage last Spring, around 30 testers in 6006. All in the 6-8% FO range, and fragrance oils from Moonworks, Peaks, Natures Garden and Candle Science. Naturally I didn't get them all 100% tested, and some I just discovered in the back of my shelf that I haven't even lit up once.

So. I'm about to do more tests, I spent most of the summer with unscented pillars and dipped tapers, so when I was burning scents I was using up these older testers. I didn't believe how good some were throwing when I had marked the jar "so-so". I dug into my notes and some scents that were okay, but didn't blow me away are now filling the house and even smell more deep and rich than I remembered.

I have always read that 6006 didn't need cured, and I never cured it as a testing practice, but now I'm wondering. I will probably add a 2-3 week cure time to my testing process from now on.