16 ounce apothecary jars

Okay so I made a huge mistake (not the first time)

I was on candlesoylutions website looking at the millenium wax and came across the closeout clearance page on jars and saw the 16 ounce apothecary jars WITH the cool rust or black rustic handle lids for super cheap- I have looked at these lids and other types like them before but they are just to expensive to justify using 

Well rather than read the description I jumped and bought 8 cases thinking I could use these for a bigger candle in my line 

got them yesterday and the lids do not screw on they just set on top of the jar and the jar is prettt big from what I am used to and wide - now I am slapping myself because I see my customers grabbing the candle by the lid and glass shattered everywhere ?

The jars are thin glass also, my standard is the square Masons which are thicker and the 12 ounce straight sided jars I use are pretty hefty as well both with screw top lids 

anyone use these jars with these type lids have any advice for me if I choose to keep them, are the lids a PIA and is a double wick needed?

CS has flat ones that will fit that I love in bronze but the jar itself is kinda scaring me

I seem to be a container ho collecting more than I need ? 

IMG_7009.PNG

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I use those jars, but not those lids. I use the glass flat top lids with my 16oz apoth's. 

I don't use your wax (or any soy product) but I do double wick with the smallest zinc wick I can find with most scents. I *think* with your wax you would be able to get away with single wicking from what I've read here on the board, but since that wax doesn't pertain to me, I never really retained the information. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Moonshine I used to use those exact jars and beautiful lids quite a while back and unfortunately I didn't like the fact of the lid sitting on top of the glass myself, so I used to put a placecard sitting next to the jars sitting of the shelf "do not pickup by the lid".....Now that helped and I never did have an accident but the lids were really loose that when someone tried to pickup by the lid, just the lid lifted up off the jar and not the entire candle.  And I believe those are the country comfort jars.  As far as wicking goes, I could get by with 1 cd 20, but it would struggle at times depending on the fragrance so I wound up going with 2 cd 4's or 2 cd 5's.   I wished I could give a better suggestion but that is the best I can do....And yes, I love those lids at CS....and especially the new bronze ones!   Let us know what you wind up doing....

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks everyone 

I am not a double wicker- lol 

I will try a few with a single wick and maybe try my  parasoy blend in them being able to wick smaller than plain soy- but then again with these new lots of soy I have to wick down so maybe it will work ?‍♀️

the lids..... well I love them but.....think if the jar end up working out for one of my blends and end up loving them  I will be getting the bronze lids from CS, I'm just not liking that these don't seal, at least they came with jars for a reasonable price so I won't be out too much 

Moonshine, I actually specifically didn't go with those lids because they didn't screw on (just sat on top as a cover). Makes it hard to sell. So I hear you on that. Bummer you have them now.  Here is what i would do:

1) Use the jars with other lids (flat glass, bubble,etc,) and sell the covers as cheap add on or give them free as a promo for buying two candles or something.   

OR

2) Use the jars with those lids, but make a thick paper round label with a hole in the middle for the wick as your cover and also sort of like a barrier/seal under the lid. Doesn't practically add anything for you or justify the lid, but makes the candle more interesting which could help you sell them

3) See if they will take the lids back or sell them to someone who uses them.

4) Make citronella candles out of them (may need to use different jars) and use those lids as covers to sit on them outside after each use.

Also, if you are struggling with wicking that jar, try double wicking.Id recommend start with 2 CD 7s or 8s as a starting point. If single wicking, you are really gonna have to wick up pretty big.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Different areas I guess but those exact jars and lids are what sells in my store.  The lady that makes them just changed to a different jar with a black screw on lid and customers want the old ones that don't screw on.  Never had anyone break a jar because of lid on those, now it has happened on the status jars when they pick it up by the lid and the whole candle and jar falls.

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong.. I love the look. I just see them more as a topper/cover type of add on item rather than a "lid". I think you add a lid (of some sort) and then either raise price a bit to "include" the cover with the candle. Or, as I mentioned, toss one in as a promo for buying 2 candles (or whatever)

On 8/16/2017 at 11:07 PM, moonshine said:

Thanks everyone 

I will try a few with a single wick and maybe try my  parasoy blend in them being able to wick smaller than plain soy- but then again with these new lots of soy I have to wick down so maybe it will work ?‍♀️

the lids..... well I love them but.....think if the jar end up working out for one of my blends and end up loving them  I will be getting the bronze lids from CS, I'm just not liking that these don't seal, at least they came with jars for a reasonable price so I won't be out too much 

Hi Moonshine ... are you going to try parasoy because the glass is thin? Just trying to understand the difference. I am struggling wicking some glassware at the moment and was wondering the reason behind this. thanks x

@obsessedThese jars are just way thinner than what I am used to- I have always used square masons and straight sided jars and the glass is thicker on both 

trying to single wick all soy may create more heat than I am comfortable with so I was thinking of trying the parasoy because I can wick cooler with this blend plus you will better see the color in this jar seeing I don't color all soy - I wouldn't say you can't use soy in this jar at all, I am just going to go with parasoy because I don't want to double wick if it gets too hot so my reasoning is nothing more than preference 

• Like 1

I know you say you dont double wick which I get. But, often double wicking appropriately can be less heat than one giant oversized wick trying to get a full MP.

Also, while I mostly use a parasoy, this is worth mentioning. While soy does require hotter wicks in general, that doesnt' meant a hotter candle and melt pool. The MP and jar gets much hotter with all parrafin that it does soy usually. Soy needs hotter wick, but the wax is much cooler when melting. Just my two cents

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 11:09 AM, wthomas57 said:

I know you say you dont double wick which I get. But, often double wicking appropriately can be less heat than one giant oversized wick trying to get a full MP.

Also, while I mostly use a parasoy, this is worth mentioning. While soy does require hotter wicks in general, that doesnt' meant a hotter candle and melt pool. The MP and jar gets much hotter with all parrafin that it does soy usually. Soy needs hotter wick, but the wax is much cooler when melting. Just my two cents

OMG ... this is like Pandora's box! hahaha do you use a commercial parasoy , or make your own? I tried mixing GW464 with IGI 4630 and found it gave me weird tops. I did soy70/30 parrafin then just 90/10 ... then even did 60/30/10 coconut to try and smooth it out. I wasn't happy with any of them ...  I am looking for a nice blend to do some xmas colours. x

I do both depending on application.

I don't really like using 4630 and 464 because I don't like 464. I mean, its easy to use being flake form.... but that is really the only thing I like about it. But that is a personal preference. I l know others who use it and like it just fine.

I've never used coconut so I can't comment on that. Just remember as you increase soy %, your list of FOs that work great may go down some. Not a big deal because there are hundreds of thousands, but just sayin'.  Also, remember you will also need to wick up generally as you add more soy. Doesn't mean it will be a hotter candle though. For example, when using 6006 , I have to wick up compared to using 4630. But my 6006 candles are cooler than my 4630s.

Okay so I poured one last night with parasoy and it took a full pound of wax to  fill the jar perfectly

it set up so nicely with perfect smooth  tops, minimal wet spots 

I think I may like this jar! ?

bonus is I found the pulp liners I bought from peak that line the daisy cut lids for smelly jellys or scented salts and it fits perfectly on top of the container so with this unattached lid there is protection but you can still smell the scent!  Downside....peak is oob so I need to search who else may carry these 

In a couple of days we will see if the single wicks burns it well! ? 

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

Thank you 

This is the first one I poured ever so I have no idea if the wick is going to work 

I went with a RRD 65 based off my other jars with this wax and RRD 

I don't have a link for the liners because they came from peak 

they were in a bag with a sticker that says pastitol liners - I got them years ago when I got the short tiny jellys with daisy cut lids for salts and when you shook the jar they would fly out so I ordered the liners and then quit making them 

someone  has to have them I just need to start the search 

Thank you JC- I am pretty excited and anxious to burn it 

wthomas it's 70 soy 30 paraffin and it does not like CD-CDN-premier or LX - so far RRD are doing fabulous in other jars so if I must venture into double wicking I will try the  29's and will post if I find the liners 

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2017 at 1:05 AM, obsessed said:

OMG ... this is like Pandora's box! hahaha do you use a commercial parasoy , or make your own? I tried mixing GW464 with IGI 4630 and found it gave me weird tops. I did soy70/30 parrafin then just 90/10 ... then even did 60/30/10 coconut to try and smooth it out. I wasn't happy with any of them ... 

hey @obsessed were the weird tops the only problem you had wit hate 464/4630 blend?  how was the hot throw and which wicks did you use?

BTW did you try using a heat gun, i find that I have to heat  almost all my tops which i pour around 135, though I've been using 100% soy. i spoke to someone who uses 100% 464 and consistently gets smooth tops from pouring at 145. that may or may not help since you're using a parasoy blend. 

Edited by CatCatCandles

I sent you a reply to your other question .. I am better at it now! thank goodness :) I was about to chuck it in!! I use straight 464 now with CDN wicks or a generic one in Australia called ACS  (Aussie Candle supply make their own). I really like them better than CDN or HTP. Luxury Candle Supplies in Australia are also developing their own waxes. They are really nice and I think they are releasing them worldwide. They make A27 soy blend , which contains small amounts of paraffin and palm also. It is a really smooth stable wax and can be used also for melts.I would like to use it , but over here there's such a stigma about paraffin and soy .... not sure yet if ai will go down that road

Edited by obsessed

On 8/16/2017 at 11:07 PM, moonshine said:

Thanks everyone 

Moonshine hi! Haven't been on here for a while ,but just re-read this . I am testing a soy/paraffin/palm blend at the moment and it seems to have a fair bit of hang-up ,where the same wick/jar with soy does not. Would you normally say blended waxes burn hotter , or the other way round?! I am really struggling trying to wick a jar and am confused , as in the past a blend I made myself burnt like a steam train! 

I don't have a ton of experience with blended waxes - I started with soy 10 years ago and just recently the last couple of years have started playing with parasoys and other blends along with palm 

what I'm finding is soy alone is so Much easier to wick BUT that's what I know- this is a learning curve for me adding different waxes and you have to take the melt point of each into consideration when choosing your wicks 

with the changes in soy lately it's throwing everything off - I have to wick down now at least  1 size in my jar, parasoy has always taken a smaller wick for me and when you throw in Palm or bees those are harder to burn so it's a balancing act and I always test with 2 sizes to get a starting point in new blends - that 16 ounce jar above I did single wicked is a dud....it's shoots black soot like crazy so it will need to be double wicked when I get back around to it 😂

• Thanks 1