It is the little things...

TallTayl

Each Faire season a new scent projects sprouts from a passing conversation. Some blossom. Some sit dormant for future season when the time is right. 

This season a chance conversaion with a few actors from "By The Sword", a cast of sword fighters from the high seas blossomed as big as a the volunteer sunflower in my herb garden trough,

the cast is made of 6 Badde Guys and 5 Goode Guys. The Badde Guys were sniffing candles one day and I asked a little about them, like what would they smell like. Their eyes lit up and they described leather, sweat, and general baddassery. I blended black biker leather, a soft sexy musk, oud wood, a few other things in the fragrance/essential oil collection and finished with clove. 

Flash forward... each year the RESCU foundation ( http://rescufoundation.org/) has an auction to raise money for rennies who need medical care. I donate something each year. This year I had zero idea what to give. I asked if I could just give a cash donation... the coordinator I work through each year would rather have a "thing" to auction as it is more fun. At the last second I put a small vial of the new fragrance, a ceramic diffuser pendant I had made strung on a leather cord and the story of the fragrance in a little muslin bag used for packaging purchases. Long story longer, it went for $80! 

"Large", from the acrobat/comedy group "Barely Balanced" ( http://www.barelybalanced.com/) was one of the early versions of By The Sword and just had to have it. 

So, I sit here thankful the auction coordinator has the vision to look for the interesting stories that make events like that memorable and meaningful. I'm humbled, proud and inspired to get on with the next thing.

• Like 5