Has anyone blended Vanilla and Cotton FOs?

GailC

I saw a Vanilla Cotton FO at Lone Star when I was perusing their site.  The combination sounds just lovely, but the description of theirs is more complex than just a clean cotton type scent and vanilla.  "An inviting aura of twilight skies infused with red currant and soft dewberry. This Southern cotton flower is blended with ylang petals and lily of the valley and has undertones of white amber and vanilla orchid wrapped in a blanket of warm musk."

I just wondered if any of you have made your own blend of vanilla and cotton.  Doesn't seem to be a popular blend because Fragrance Oil Finder lists only two suppliers who carry it.  

Haven't tried to blend my own or used the ones avail, just wanted to say that blending your own is probably the safest bet.  If there are only a couple of suppliers, I tend to shy away from a scent, not that I haven't been left high and dry on popular scents but more so when very limited availability.   I've also found that different seems to sell well for me, so if customers don't see it at every candle shop/stand they tend to want to buy it.

• Like 1

I've smelled their vanilla cotton and really liked it. I did blend clean cotton and vanilla but the cotton FO overpowered the vanilla to the point where I couldn't smell vanilla at all. I had done a 50/50 ratio so if I ever tried to do it again I would ease the cotton FO into vanilla a little at a time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belinda said:

I've smelled their vanilla cotton and really liked it. I did blend clean cotton and vanilla but the cotton FO overpowered the vanilla to the point where I couldn't smell vanilla at all. I had done a 50/50 ratio so if I ever tried to do it again I would ease the cotton FO into vanilla a little at a time. 

I've been experimenting with cotton swabs a little tonight.  Trying to decide if I want to use Sea Island Cotton or High Cotton (MC).  I love them both.  I believe you are right.  I mostly smelled the cotton.  Maybe 2 parts Vanilla to 1 part Cotton.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GailC said:

I've been experimenting with cotton swabs a little tonight.  Trying to decide if I want to use Sea Island Cotton or High Cotton (MC).  I love them both.  I believe you are right.  I mostly smelled the cotton.  Maybe 2 parts Vanilla to 1 part Cotton.  

I used VBN too when I mixed it and that's a strong vanilla to my nose. I think you're right, two parts vanilla and 1 part cotton. 

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

I used VBN too when I mixed it and that's a strong vanilla to my nose. I think you're right, two parts vanilla and 1 part cotton. 

I just had some people sniff my two cotton swabs.  Some liked smelling more vanilla and some liked smelling more cotton. :)

• Like 1

I mix lavender with clean cotton and trust me you have to use less clean cotton or it overwhelms your scent. I blend mine at 2 parts lavender to 1 part cotton. That will equalize the two scents without one overpowering the other. I know its not a vanilla & clean cotton but it will give you an idea.

I just love how clean cotton smells and it mixes well with others if you find the right balance. I would imagine lavender, vanilla, and clean cotton would be an awesome blend together too!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, soshiegirl said:

The vanilla cotton from Lonestar is really good.  I only order two oils from them and that's one of them.

I think that's where I got the idea. :)

But I do NOT want to order from a new supplier!  I have already added Candlewic to my list this year, which includes Candlescience, The Candlemaker's Store, Nature's Garden, Mill Creek, Fragrance Buddy, Aztec, Rustic Escentuals, Peak, Cierra, Indiana Candle Supply, Plus I ordered from Just Scent once and Tennessee Once, and I'm probably leaving some out.

I haven't gotten to Lonestar or Bittercreek or Flaming Candle or Cajun......:)  

2 minutes ago, GailC said:

I think that's where I got the idea. :)

But I do NOT want to order from a new supplier!  I have already added Candlewic to my list this year, which includes Candlescience, The Candlemaker's Store, Nature's Garden, Mill Creek, Fragrance Buddy, Aztec, Rustic Escentuals, Peak, Cierra, Indiana Candle Supply, Plus I ordered from Just Scent once and Tennessee Once, and I'm probably leaving some out.

I haven't gotten to Lonestar or Bittercreek or Flaming Candle or Cajun......:)  

If you want a sample of Vanilla Cotton, just PM me.  It's a really great scent.  You haven't even touched Pure Fragrance Oils, Bulk Apothecary, Southern Scentations, TriState, Texas Candle Supply...oh my the list just goes on, doesn't it?!

• Like 2

Blending scents is the best! I love blending and found instead of blending drops here and there, for me it's easier to put the scent on the end of a q-tip. I dip one end in one scent, and the other end in another scent, and just add swabs until I get the right blend. Then I put it in a baggie and let it sit and "marinate" so to speak, for a few days, and this will usually give me a true idea of what my blend is going to smell like in my applications. 

My customer base is a lot like kandlekrazy's as in if it's a unique scent and not every crafter or store has the scent they are intrigued and more apt to buy. 

On 6/16/2017 at 3:46 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I've also found that different seems to sell well for me, so if customers don't see it at every candle shop/stand they tend to want to buy it.

• Like 2