What're all y'all getting per ounce?

Sponiebr

I know prices vary per supplier and what you're putting into it with packaging but with the large variations in types of soap makers here with everything from the extreme piping magic cakes to wash-yo-butt-and-yo-face soap I see being made here could y'all share (PM or in this thread) what you're getting per ounce of soap retail and wholesale?  Even if you're making something like KrazyKelly's "OMG-you-mean-that's-NOT-ACTUALLY-food!?" soaps or you're making simple stuff like me, it makes no difference, I'm looking for an average...

Just y'know, so I can tell the difference between my butt and this strange dark circular void thing on the floor outside.  

10-Q! 

Sponiebr: (bad ideas on pause for the moment)

Interesting that you brought this up because I just had a customer complain that the net wt stated on a soap line I carry was incorrect.

Label states net weight 6.5 oz and I sell them for $8.00, pretty tops, pretty colors

every one I weighed was actually between 4.5 and 5.5 oz

Another line I carry is just a plain square bar but pretty colors and those are 5.5 oz and I sell for $6.00 or on sale 2/$10

40 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Interesting that you brought this up because I just had a customer complain that the net wt stated on a soap line I carry was incorrect.

Label states net weight 6.5 oz and I sell them for $8.00, pretty tops, pretty colors

OH YIKES!!!! 

Another line I carry is just a plain square bar but pretty colors and those are 5.5 oz and I sell for $6.00 or on sale 2/$10

Ok. Thank you!

I was curious as to what my actual costs were per loaf and I was actually shocked at what I found... I had done the math before, but it was quite a while ago, and well, it was a pleasant shock.  I'm actually doing SOMETHING right... What the hell's up with THAT?

My per loaf cost is actually pretty low, and that includes paying myself $20 an hour for my time during a soaping session - mine are priced very similar to TT and Shari's - my cured bars are anywhere between 4.5oz-5oz and I sell them for $6 each or 4/$20.

13 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Be careful with that. Stating they weigh more than they actually do could get you into trouble. It's okay to put a lower net weight on the label, but not a higher. It could be considered fraud, and I've known several people who have gotten in trouble for it. (Not trying to be big brother or anything, just putting that out there as an FYI) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

My per loaf cost is actually pretty low, and that includes paying myself $20 an hour for my time during a soaping session - mine are priced very similar to TT and Shari's - my cured bars are anywhere between 4.5oz-5oz and I sell them for $6 each or 4/$20.

Be careful with that. Stating they weigh more than they actually do could get you into trouble. It's okay to put a lower net weight on the label, but not a higher. It could be considered fraud, and I've known several people who have gotten in trouble for it. (Not trying to be big brother or anything, just putting that out there as an FYI) 

Yes, I contacted the lady that makes the soap as soon as I found out.  Better off not putting a weight on them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...