I May have found More effienct way of melting wax directly in pour pots!!!

I Think I'm going to go with this instead of the induction for melting my wax

as this does NOT require magnetic pots to work.  and is also temp. controlled!

I may have found a more efficient way of melting wax

Directly in Pour Pots!  With this tempeture controlled hot plate!

It only displays Temps. In Celsius; But I can always Google the Conversion too Fahrenheit

Candle Science also uses a hot plate for their Test :)

and the ONLY stipulation the manufacture gives is NOT to use it at 300ºF for over 8 hours.

Which is NOT needed for Wax anyway!

So this appears to be Perfect!!! :)

http://www.tmart.com/High-Precision-Digital-Display-Constant-Temperature-Electronic-Heating-Plate-200-200-110V_p335012.html?cc=USD&fixed_price=hk_intl&gclid=CKC_m8zto9ACFQSnaQodtaEOxQ

tempconhotplate.jpg

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

Sponiebr; I think you may be able to get other brands of consistent temp. heating plates that way;

But I was looking to avoid the magnet because pour pots are NOT Magnetic they are aluminum.

and the heating plate on this is also aluminum; so I don't have to worry about compatibility with my 4-lb. pour pots this way.

But I do know they also use these in science labs for making stuff like

children's "Gummie vitamins" that are also poured in molds and need a consistent tempeture!! 

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

38 minutes ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

Sponiebr; I think you may be able to get other brands of consistent temp. heating plates that way;

But I was looking to avoid the magnet because pour pots are NOT Magnetic they are aluminum.

and the heating plate on this is also aluminum; so I don't have to worry about compatibility with my 4-lb. pour pots this way.

children's "Gummie vitamins" that are also poured in molds and need a consistent tempeture!! 

I also took the liberty to find a Celcious To Fahrenheight Conversion chart

that includes the wax melting range of tempetures

to make easy access for any fellow Crafters;

that may want to use this method for melting their wax!!!  :):)

F to C Chart2.jpg

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

You know you can get a flat griddle from Walmart for about $20 and heat your pour pots on that. I use one for candlemaking to keep my wax warm in the pots while I stir in my additives. I have used it before to melt wax and it works but can be much slower than a professional melter.

So... I first melt my wax in my melter. Then pour hot wax from the melter into my pour pots which I transfer to the hot griddle plate to keep warm while I stir in my additives.

The griddle I bought about 10 yrs ago and still works great.

I even use it to level the bottoms of my pillars.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Candybee said:

You know you can get a flat griddle from Walmart for about $20 and heat your pour pots on that. I use one for candlemaking to keep my wax warm in the pots while I stir in my additives. I have used it before to melt wax and it works but can be much slower than a professional melter.

So... I first melt my wax in my melter. Then pour hot wax from the melter into my pour pots which I transfer to the hot griddle plate to keep warm while I stir in my additives.

The griddle I bought about 10 yrs ago and still works great.

I even use it to level the bottoms of my pillars.

I Know But; I'm just beginning to set up shop;

I don't have a melter yet; so I was looking for a way

to get started cheaply and I think this consistent temp. hot plate will be adequate!

as I stated in my OP; this is also the way Candle Science melts wax for their test!

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

6 hours ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

Wait... No, neither the container nor the hotplate hob material make any difference at all if they are able to be magnetized or not, in fact they usually are not ferromagnetic (e.g. glass flasks etc...) The stirring comes from a little plastic encased "pill" that you put at the bottom of the heating vessel (in this case your aluminum pour pot) and the magnetic stirring field under the heating element spins the little pill when you place the pot onto the "burner". When you pick the pot up the stirring "pill" stays in the pot and stops spinning until you put the pot back onto the hot plate.  Usually they have a speed controller that lets you vary how fast you want to stir from off to literally jumping out of the pot. 

10 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

Wait... No, neither the container nor the hotplate hob material make any difference at all if they are able to be magnetized or not, in fact they usually are not ferromagnetic (e.g. glass flasks etc...) The stirring comes from a little plastic encased "pill" that you put at the bottom of the heating vessel (in this case your aluminum pour pot) and the magnetic stirring field under the heating element spins the little pill when you place the pot onto the "burner". When you pick the pot up the stirring "pill" stays in the pot and stops spinning until you put the pot back onto the hot plate.  Usually they have a speed controller that lets you vary how fast you want to stir from off to literally jumping out of the pot. 

Thanks for Clearing that up Sponiebr;

I learned that when I looked them up on amazon! LOL.

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts
  • Like 1

After nearly 25 years in this business I think you are making this way more expensive and far more complicated than it needs to be. I worked from 2000-2016 for Bitter Creek, doing their tech support. I worked with very small vendors, just starting out to very large companies that have a very large internet/store presence. I can tell you that if you plan to make a lot of candles, the best long term solution is to buy a commercial wax melter. I strongly recommend water jacketed as they can be left on. It sounds like you are pretty new, and for that reason the best and probably cheapest way to melt was is simply using a Presto Kitchen Kettle from one of the major stores like Walmart. They cost in the range of $30 and will melt 7-8 lbs of wax in about 15 minutes. The idea of an induction top or this really aren't feasible for the long term and probably cost a lot more. Just my quarter as someone who has been in this business for a really long time.

• Like 8

On 11/12/2016 at 7:05 PM, ILikeWaxMelts said:

I Know But; I'm just beginning to set up shop;

I don't have a melter yet; so I was looking for a way

to get started cheaply and I think this consistent temp. hot plate will be adequate!

as I stated in my OP; this is also the way Candle Science melts wax for their test!

So do you plan to use it for just testing or production?

I have to agree with Flicker if you plan to go into business for production to sell a simple Presto Pot works great and is much less expensive. If you want something larger save for a professional wax melter and in the meantime use a Presto Pot. Even the simple electric griddle pan will melt a pouring pot of wax and you can get up to 4 pots on that or just use it to keep your pots hot while you blend in your additives. I'm not sure why you think it won't heat efficiently or consistently. Having used one for 10 yrs I know it works.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:26 PM, Candybee said:

So do you plan to use it for just testing or production?

I have to agree with Flicker if you plan to go into business for production to sell a simple Presto Pot works great and is much less expensive. If you want something larger save for a professional wax melter and in the meantime use a Presto Pot. Even the simple electric griddle pan will melt a pouring pot of wax and you can get up to 4 pots on that or just use it to keep your pots hot while you blend in your additives. I'm not sure why you think it won't heat efficiently or consistently. Having used one for 10 yrs I know it works.

I'm Planning on being a Small Scale candle maker;

I'm going to be focusing my advertising in the

"Hand-Poured" Candles Direction.  And Advertising that

My candles are home-made; hand-poured; and made in small batches!

And that I am NOT a Large Corporate Greed Business!

I'm going to get me some large molds and eventually

get into making Unity Candle Sets for Weddings;

Which usually include a large diameter pillar; and a taper on each side

one for the bride; and one for the groom.

So I think this Temp. Controlled Double Burner Set-up may work for me.

nuwave.jpg

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

• 2 weeks later...

So jumping in here still a newbie to candle making (only 15 months testing).    I have been melting my wax in a double boiler, putting my water pan on the electric stove top with the wax pot in it.  Looking at the plate above, does this mean because I use electric stove, could I put the wax pot directly onto the stove top ??  Do these warmer plates work different to stove electric tops?  I know that they regulate temp but didn't know if it would work on the same priniciple. 

Sorry may be a dumb question, but Im curious now after seeing this. 

thanks

1 hour ago, Natasha2106 said:

So jumping in here still a newbie to candle making (only 15 months testing).  Sorry may be a dumb question, but Im curious now after seeing this. 

thanks

NO QUESTION is Dumb on the Craft Server!

NO; Natasha2106; the Burner's MUST be Constant Temp Controlled

such as the NuWave Double Burner; or the the Blue Hot Plate in the first post in this thread

A Regular Electric Stove is NOT constant tempeture controlled and WILL burn your wax

without a double boiler setup. :)

The black double burner NuWave is adjustable in 5ºF increments

The Blue Hot Plate at the top of the this thread is adjustable in 1ºF increments But only display's temps in Celcious

for which you can easy google the conversion.

The 1 Con: of the Double burner NuWave is that it's induction so pots have to be magnetic to work;

So you would have to melt your wax in a stainless steel 3-qt or 4-qt sauce-pan

Lastly; I did see a you-tube review of the nuwave

that says it can run about 20ºF hotter than you set it.

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts
  • Like 1

The problem I see here is that you are only going to be able to make two small batches at a time and the wax will need pretty constant attention. Seriously, been making candles 25 years, a Presto Kitchen Kettle will be MUCH more time efficient for you. Just melt the wax (up to 7-8 lbs at a time) then pour into (weigh) the pour pots, scent, color and pour. This likely heats much slower, and thus 2 lbs could take far too long to be effective. You are spending way too much time overthinking this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2016 at 1:07 PM, Flicker said:

After nearly 25 years in this business I think you are making this way more expensive and far more complicated than it needs to be. I worked from 2000-2016 for Bitter Creek, doing their tech support. I worked with very small vendors, just starting out to very large companies that have a very large internet/store presence. I can tell you that if you plan to make a lot of candles, the best long term solution is to buy a commercial wax melter. I strongly recommend water jacketed as they can be left on. It sounds like you are pretty new, and for that reason the best and probably cheapest way to melt was is simply using a Presto Kitchen Kettle from one of the major stores like Walmart. They cost in the range of $30 and will melt 7-8 lbs of wax in about 15 minutes. The idea of an induction top or this really aren't feasible for the long term and probably cost a lot more. Just my quarter as someone who has been in this business for a really long time.

This. Its all you need to know

Presto pots while small to mid size. Then large commercial wax melters as you grow. That is all you need. The method your describing is just not necessary and more expensive. And anyone using double boiling method should start looking at presto pots and save yourself the time and increase efficiency. So Natasha, Id check those out if you haven't already. 

• Like 3