Packaging Tarts

ILVCANDLES

Hi, I am trying to put wax tarts in zip lock bags. The wax I use is very soft so it s catching on the zip lock part & is making the bag look ugly because of the wax smearing.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the tarts into the bags without smearing?

Thanks

Edited by ILVCANDLES

Guest OldGlory

Most ziploc bags are made of polyethylene plastic which will pull the fragrance out of your tarts so I would suggest using a different type of storage container. Polypropylene plastic is ok for tarts. You can find bags of each type of plastic at PaperMart.com .

If you like the formula, but packaging is challenging, Have you tried any clamshells? They don't need to be the usual styles-WSP offers quite a few different styles for soap and stuff. Impact package also has attractive and stylish versions that are not typical.

I couldn't stand the smears either so I switched to a harder wax and it doesn't smear unless I use too much container wax with it. Maybe you could mix some pillar wax into the wax you're already using. Or, like TallTayl suggested, use clamshells. I also use the brown kraft coffee bags that have a window when I package some of my tarts and sometimes polypro bags and tie them with country material or twist tie. If I package individually then I use a small polypro bag.

• 8 months later...

I do not like smudges on the bags either. It takes away from all the hard work that goes into making these tarts. I agree with Belinda ,try the window craft bags from papermart , they also come in white. Also they offer the polypropylene bags at a very low price ,if you buy in bulk. I pay $26 for 1000 bags. Shipping is not bad at all .I pack my wax chunks in craft window bags due to smears. It is not visible when packed in the window kraft bags .If you make molded tarts & do not want smears ,add a pillar wax to your wax. I have to make chunks with softer wax ,so I can cut them into squares ,but my molded tarts are made with a harder paraffin blend. I just wanted you to know how important it is to pack your melts in polypropylene ,keeps the scent in the wax & the bag will not absorb the scent. I hope this advice is very helpful to you ,Kat

I use pillar wax for my tarts but they still leave a little bit of smears so what I do is wrap the melts with a small piece of tissue paper and I then slide it into the poly baggie and gently pull the tissue paper out and seal the baggie. There are sometimes little smears during storage and transport, but it's much better with this system. 

I have tried various ways to package tarts. I tried bags but either I wasn't happy with the way they looked or the smears that can happen. The easiest way I found to package them is to shrink wrap them. I bought a hand held roll of shrink wrap at an office supply store and a heat gun from Harbor Freight. It worked like a charm!