Question about Wax and FO...

I'm a beginner at candle making and am still trying to learn all I can as I make and test candles. When it comes to adding FO to wax, I thought the general rule of thumb was 6% of FO to a pound of wax and that it should be measured by weight and not volume.

I assumed that this meant 16 oz of wax in solid form. However, I stumbled across a website that gave candle making tips and it said the 16 oz of wax should be 16 oz melted and not in solid form. It mentioned that adding 6% FO to 16 oz of solid wax is the same as adding it to 19 oz of melted wax and that 6% FO in 19 oz of wax will be too little to get a good throw.

Have I been assuming incorrectly all along and is it supposed to be measured once it's melted and not in solid form? But wouldn't it weigh the same no matter if it was solid or liquid? I guess I'm just having a brain fart this morning. I thought that was precisely why we should measure by weight in solid form, because once the wax melts the volume would increase and seem like more even though it's really not. Or have I just completely confused myself?

I guess I could just go and melt 16 oz of wax and see what it weighs once it's melted instead of bothering all of you. My brain is just off today, lol.

Guest OldGlory

16 oz of weight will be the same liquid or solid. You will lose a smidge on the sides of the vessel from which you are pouring.

When I am making candles, I dump a lot of wax into the melter, wait for it to melt, put an empty pouring pot on the scale and tare it, so it reads 0.0 oz. Then using a different pouring pot, I fill the pot on the scale to the weight I want, tare again, and add the amount of FO I want. Some people will say you can simply add the FO without taring, but I want a true reading with each measure.

Your brain isn't off. With time and experience you will recognize bad information when you see/hear it.

Lots of people don't understand the difference between a volume fill and a weight fill. You are right - you weigh it, and you label your candles with the weight of the fill.

I'm a beginner at candle making and am still trying to learn all I can as I make and test candles. When it comes to adding FO to wax, I thought the general rule of thumb was 6% of FO to a pound of wax and that it should be measured by weight and not volume.

I assumed that this meant 16 oz of wax in solid form. However, I stumbled across a website that gave candle making tips and it said the 16 oz of wax should be 16 oz melted and not in solid form. It mentioned that adding 6% FO to 16 oz of solid wax is the same as adding it to 19 oz of melted wax and that 6% FO in 19 oz of wax will be too little to get a good throw.

Have I been assuming incorrectly all along and is it supposed to be measured once it's melted and not in solid form? But wouldn't it weigh the same no matter if it was solid or liquid? I guess I'm just having a brain fart this morning. I thought that was precisely why we should measure by weight in solid form, because once the wax melts the volume would increase and seem like more even though it's really not. Or have I just completely confused myself?

I guess I could just go and melt 16 oz of wax and see what it weighs once it's melted instead of bothering all of you. My brain is just off today, lol.

Quoted to remove the font that i could not read....

There is no shortage of bad information on the web. Work by weight, not volume. 16 weighed ounces of solid wax is the same as 16 weighed ounces of melted wax.

Edited by TallTayl
  • Like 1

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 16oz of wax weighs the same whether its melted or solid. You are correct that the standard 6% FO per lb of wax is the norm. Exceptions come with certain FOs or waxes like some soys that may work better wiith higher or lower %.

For 16oz of wax I calculate 16 x 6% = .96. Most round that out to 1.0

• Like 1

So you already got a bunch of answers, but if you don't mind, here is my take on it.

The initial confusion, as people have pointed out, is about weight (on the scale) versus volume (in a measuring cup). It's easy to get confused at first, because both ways have something called an ounce, but they are different. You are going to forget about anything involving a measuring cup. We don't work that way. Just the scale.

There are a few different ways to figure what amounts to use. You mentioned 6%, but actually percentages are more complicated than they look because they actually refer to percentage of the finished candle. Some people do it like baker's measure, which works but isn't really correct.

I'd suggest you start by simply thinking about it in ounces FO per pound of wax, the way many people do soap fragrance. Candle crafters do that too. Think of 1 ounce per pound as the "standard" amount (similar to 6%), which you can vary as you need to (half an ounce, 1 1/2 oz, or whatever per pound of wax).

I wanted to be really clear and simple, so I hope it helped.

• Like 1

This all helped. Thank you, everyone. I knew what I was reading didn't sound correct...but for some reason I couldn't convince my brain of it. I have been measuring weight on a scale and not volume, measuring the weight of the pot, zeroing it out, then measuring the wax, etc.

I just got thrown off for a second on the whole melted versus solid weight and just needed the confirmation that I was remembering my science correctly that the weight is the same no matter if the wax is solid or liquid.

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer!

• Like 1

I haven't read the other replies, but weight is weight. 16oz of solid wax WEIGHS 16oz when melted, however the volume would be different, it doesn't matter how much the volume is, the weighed amount will still be the same. 

When you think about it think about it in these terms:

Which weighs more, 1 pound of feathers, or 1 pound of bricks? :D (exactly the same - weight is weight) 

ETA: 

As I suspected you got the same advice I posted, as well as some other information as well. 

This is a great place for questions like that. :) 

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 2