Adding anything flammable to outside of the jar

Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this without burning down the house. I am always so nervous about putting anything flammable on the outside of the jars but I have a customer who wants something light this. I suggested only using a tea light in something like the picture but she wants a filled candle. I would use a 16 oz mayo for this but am concerned that the outside would get too hot. Do you think a mason would be thick enough. I also had a customer ask about the same thing but with pages from a book. I said no right away but then was thinking if I mod podge them on would that work? Just thinking out loud but would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Karen in MA

post-11330-0-01183600-1410438272_thumb.j

Edited by kfintoni

Wow, I'm working on a couple of jars like that this week but I'm not completely covering the jar with the leaves.  But I'm putting a votive inside the jar just like you suggested.  But I was wondering about filling the jar too as a candle and using a hang tag.  I don't know why it wouldn't be a problem and not be a fire hazard as we all put paper labels on the jars?  Hopefully someone will chime in here and add.  I'm using a ball canning jar.   I myself wouldn't use a mayonaise jar.  But thats me.  Here are a couple of pictures of what I found that I thought were just beautiful.

Trappeur

09_Autumn-Leaf-Candle-Jar1.jpg[/url

10_Decorating-candle-jar-with-Autumn-Lea

• Like 2

Those are so pretty Trappeur!! 

As long as the embellishments are well away from the opening of the jar, they should be okay. If made properly, the flame will not jump out of the jar and light the outside on fire - only if the embellishment is in the way of the flame - so just keep it away from the opening. 

If the jar gets too hot for the embellishments, then it's not a proper jar to burn a candle in IMO. 

• Like 1

Those are beautiful... I don't see them as being a problem so long as they are not right at the top of the jar and the jar doesn't get too hot- also applying them with something that can handle heat which I am not familiar with those type products...mod podge, etc. so hopefully someone can give input as to what to use

I have seen candles on here that were done with glitter on the outside with no problems but I don't remember what was used to apply it

Edited by moonshine

I just added a couple of pics in the gallery (not sure how to get them to show up here) that are gel candles I made. I used modge podge to apply the tissue paper around the outside. I know they aren't the prettiest candles, but they were my first attempt at this style and they are for myself. Haven't had any problems with the jars getting too hot or the paper coming off.

• Like 1

Geez.. funny I had been thinking of something similar for a couple of weeks now. Only I was thinking of using clay on the outside something similar to Vicki's beautiful clay vases but only on the lower half of the jar. The clay is baked on so I am not worried about it being a fire hazard on the outside of the jar.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I made these exact same jars the weekend I made the chalk paint jars.... I would NOT be afraid of putting wax in these as the leaves are WAY down on the side... :)  Yes.... I used a sponge brush...modge podged over artificial leaves and just layered. Beautimus! :) I will try to get pic posted.

Edited by puma52

Here is a pic of a few of mine. The modge podge creates a "smudgy" glass , plus I sprayed with an acrylic paint sealant which also added a frosty touch. :) I placed a candle in the middle jar for a visual. Hope this helps. :) The pics from House of Joyful Noise looks like real leaves.....so beautiful. I just love them all! :)

post-7843-0-45342200-1411841471_thumb.jp

post-7843-0-70242500-1411841484_thumb.jp

post-7843-0-66361800-1411841494_thumb.jp

post-7843-0-04196900-1411841506_thumb.jp

post-7843-0-76430400-1411841549_thumb.jp

post-7843-0-78210100-1411841615_thumb.jp

Edited by puma52
  • Like 4

Those came out great. I tried using silk leaves and Mod Podge but I could not get the leaves to sit flat on the jars for the glue to hold.

Karen in MA

hee hee.....Karen.. ya gotta wrassle 'em and show them who's boss girl! :) To tell you the truth, mine did not want to lay down very well either...I first coated the jar where I was going to place the leaf and lay the leaf on top of that and just coated and placed and that is why they got coated and coated and wrassled (I know spelling is wrong...just trying to find humor in wrassling with those artificial leaves. :) ) LOL.  I finally said it's good enough for me. :)

Edited by puma52

Puma, omg girl, your candles are awesome and so are your pictures. Did you put maxis in the decorated jars?

Thank you OldGlory! LOL....Well, I should have used one of the maxis, they would fit perfectly, but I scrounged around until I found the first tea light I could find in the candle cave and it was not a maxi. :)

Edited by puma52

Those are stunning Puma and love your photo display!  You did a beautiful job!  I can't wait to do something like that....I'm going to try real leaves and see what happens.  When you sprayed the outside with the acrylic sealer did you use a matte finish or gloss if you don't mind me asking?

Trappeur

Those are stunning Puma and love your photo display!  You did a beautiful job!  I can't wait to do something like that....I'm going to try real leaves and see what happens.  When you sprayed the outside with the acrylic sealer did you use a matte finish or gloss if you don't mind me asking?

Trappeur

Evening Trappeur!

Thank you for your kind comments. You know, I just might try some real leaves too! It is so easy, but stunningly beautiful. The sealant I used is Valspar - The perfect finish- clear sealer FLAT (This is what it says on the jar- got @ Lowes) For those who want to try this awesome, messy and beautiful project, here are the full instructions:

5681923.jpg?712

1398  33 Google +59 StumbleUpon44  233 9K+
Mason jars are all the rage for home decoration.  There are a million ways you can decorate with them and here I'll show you a Fall craft that even your kids can take a stab at.  This decoupaged mason jar project cost me less than $5.  I always have the Mod Podge on hand, and the mason jars only cost me a dollar each from my local Dollar Tree.  These Autumn leaves aren't real, but try using real leaves too.  I find that faux leaves work better because the decoupage medium soaks through the fabric leaf, allowing for easier application.  I purchased the pack of fake leaves from the dollar store as well.  If you know how to decoupage, you know how to do this project!  It may take some time, but this craft makes great Autumn decor for the home.
2794008_orig.jpg

9495230_orig.jpg

A sponge brush is optional for this project, as some people tend to just use their fingers to apply.  Personally, I like using a sponge brush over a paint brush, and I also use my fingers when necessary.  First, make sure the outside of your jar is clean.  Wipe it gently with rubbing alcohol to get any grease and grime off the outside of the jar.  The leaves won't stick if the jar is oily or dirty.  Then make sure your leaves are malleable.  Bend them a little bit to loosen them up.  Stiff leaves won't stick either.  If they are thin, fabric leaves, they should easily form around the jar.  If they are real leaves, you may want to dampen them slightly (almost the way leaves become after it rains) to unstiffen them.   You can also iron fabric leaves as well to loosen the fibers. To decoupage, dip your brush in the Mod Podge and paint a thin layer on a section of the jar.  Once that layer becomes quite sticky (check by dabbing your finger on it), place a leaf on the jar.  Paint more Mod Podge on top of the leaf in thin layers, making sure to smooth out the edges.  Start in the center of the leaf, and push your way out to the edges with your fingers.  It may take a few layers, but the leaf should stick to the jar.  I had to press a few times to get the leaves to stick; but as the Mod Podge dries, it should.  Don't be afraid to use your fingers to smooth out the leaf so that it is fully secure.  Layer more leaves on top, filling the jar with as many as you desire.  I didn't cover my jar fully, as I liked some of the negative space in between the leaves.  Once all the leaves are on, it will take a few hours to dry completely.   The tiny edges of the leaves may not stay completely down, but when the look is complete, you may barely even notice. 
1084863_orig.jpg

2902161.jpg?720

Finish off the top of the jar with rafia or ribbon to complete the look.  Place a candle inside and watch it light the room with beautiful orange, red and green fall colors!

Some tips for completing:

• Don't try to get too perfect with laying the leaves down.  Leaves by nature have imperfections and it looks more rustic when all the corners are not completely flush against the jar.
  • If you're pulling your hair out with getting them to stick, another option is to cut out pieces of napkin (with leaf designs); napkins are much easier to adhere.
  • Wet or iron your leaves before you adhere them so they become more bendable.
  • Let the Mod Podge become very tacky to the touch before applying the leaves.
  • Use your fingers.  It helps when trying to mold the leaf around the jar.
  • You shouldn't need to but if you're concerned about falling leaves, spray the jar with a clear varnish, when you're done to seal it.
7591482_orig.jpg

- See more at: http://www.sparkandchemistry.com/craft-it-blog/leaf-mason-jar-candle-holder#sthash.y7pkdkI9.dpuf

Edited by puma52

Great directions Puma.  I'm definitely going to give this a try myself.  I know when I was reading up on using real leaves, you had to do something first to them and let them dry somewhat first I believe as they would crack if you let them dry....well I think that is what it said...lol

I love the way you did yours.  The ones in the directions you put up are too overkill for me personally.....too many leaves....I love how the transparent finish shows up in areas on your jars and has a real nice glow to the jar......Really beautiful! :) 

Trappeur

Great directions Puma.  I'm definitely going to give this a try myself.  I know when I was reading up on using real leaves, you had to do something first to them and let them dry somewhat first I believe as they would crack if you let them dry....well I think that is what it said...lol

I love the way you did yours.  The ones in the directions you put up are too overkill for me personally.....too many leaves....I love how the transparent finish shows up in areas on your jars and has a real nice glow to the jar......Really beautiful! :) 

Trappeur

Trappeur, the sealant is in a can, not a jar as I had typed on the previous post. ackk! sorry. Take a pic after you have them done...would love to see anyone's after they have made. :) QUESTION: What could we use for the Christmas season to modge podge on mason jars?  I would LOVE to hear ideas.... 

Edited by puma52

• 4 years later...
On 9/27/2014 at 2:15 PM, puma52 said:

Here is a pic of a few of mine. The modge podge creates a "smudgy" glass , plus I sprayed with an acrylic paint sealant which also added a frosty touch. :) I placed a candle in the middle jar for a visual. Hope this helps. :) The pics from House of Joyful Noise looks like real leaves.....so beautiful. I just love them all! :)

post-7843-0-04196900-1411841506_thumb.jp

These are so cute.