Changing wax C-3 or 464????

I have been using CBA, which everyone knows does not have a great HT. I am planning on changing wax and I was thinking of C-3 or 464. Please give me your opions on these waxes if you use them. I use the 12oz mason jars and CD wicks. Also any wick suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Tammy

I use 464 and while it is leaps and bounds better at scent throw than CB-A, I am still disappointed with the FOs that it won't throw with a reasonable cure period. I mostly use 4630 (paraffin) now but keep working with 464 as time permits. Hate the frosting issues associated with soy waxes as well.

Edited by rjdaines

Ive used all 3...CBA is beautiful but needs a high fo load, 464 I briefly tested (pita to wick) and really liked the wax...good ht but it does frost. If I had stayed with it, I would have not used color. I now use C3 and Im stickin with it :) , great ht, no frost, but my tops are a work in progress :rolleyes2 ECOs worked well imo with 464 and now I use CDNs with the C3...hth

Edited by lmc

Worked with 464 for quite some time. Wicked good for me but HT was not where I wanted it. Also tried 444.

Very recently tried C3 and it is a breeze (IMO) compared to 464 for HT and smooth tops. CDs, CDNs and HTPs worked well for HT for me but didn't have the burn I am looking for. Will be staying with C3 for now and continue to look for a wick I'm happy with unless I decide to go with a blend of 464/4630 if the HT compares to C3 and it wicks well. Am going to give Ecos another try with C3 as well as some others that have been suggested.

HTH

Edited by jeanie353

I think there are more 464 likers than lovers. And now that I was told that c-3 is American grown soy I will be singing it's praises from the rooftops. Its easy to work with, excellent hot and cold throw, if you're into colored candles it colors well, and its just an all around good wax. 464 got popular when CandleScience ranked it #1 in hot and cold throw. I don't know why, its OK, not as good as 415 and C-3 though.

I was a 464 lover... still kind of am but I tested 415 and love the throw with this wax better...just working on its appearance now

464 is a great wax- it is creamy, easy to get smooth tops, does have great CT and the HT is good as well... it is a little hard to wick sometimes

I mix my own. Just am that way. I test all types of mixes. I use up to 3 waxes at a time, but that's just me. I'm weird.

GB...I don't think that is weird or anything of the sort :) The way we each get to the point of doing our own thing and finding what works for us sometimes is blending, additives, heating, cooling....you name it. In candlemaking, IMO whatever it takes as long as the final product is safe, makes you happy and makes your customers happy.

At this moment I'm a lover of 464. I have used C-3 in the past and only liked it. Maybe I haven't given it much of a chance. I don't color my candles so the frosting issues aren't an issue for me. For now I'm going to stick with the 464, mainly because I just ordered another 50lb box. Haha!

Jackbenimble, do you think one has a better HT than the other???

I haven't used C-3 in such a long time that I really can't remember. I think they are both good I just have had very nice results with the 464. The deciding factor may be if you want to color your candles or not.

I add FO at 180 pour at 140. I don't warm the containers though, I pour them all and then go in and stir it up a little bit so it equalizes the temps to reduce wet spots while cool. I find this works better for me as I pour quite a few at a time and getting through all I have warmed before they are room temp again is not easy. I nestle them together too so they cool very slowly.

No 464 lovers, I'm surprised!!!!

Just seeing this post. I use and LOVE GB464, its what I started with and stuck with it. I have a binder of pour sheets, notes, etc. It, like any wax, has its issues, I have not seen anyone that has found the "perfect wax"

I am very happy with the HT and CT, now there are some FO's that simply don't do well, but I have my list and know to stay away from them and it has not been an issue at all, I think there are only (3) that the HT just was not there, BUT I can't say that the HT is any better in other waxes either.

I think, for me anyway, that the best thing was to pick a wax and stick with it through thick and thin, learn to get along with it and determine its limitations. Anything more than that would just confuse me. So.....yes, I LOVE 464!!

BTW, no frosting issues here, but I do not color my wax, it stays white. HTH Good Luck!