How oh how is this done?

pixie

Every time I try to put flowers in soap, they rot. The turn brown, mushy and are just gross. I saw this beautiful soap on etsy and would like to know, how the heck do they get the flowers not to rot?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61589728/3-lb-perfect-rose-soap-loaf-vegan-soap

Im assuming there is a way because I cant see anyone selling a soap with flowers on it knowing that they will turn into grossness in a short amount of time.

I can't tell if those are cold process or melt and pour soaps but my guess is cp. The pics would be "fresh" of course. Hard to tell what the soaps would look like after a while but my experience using botanicals is that they get hard, scratchy, and flaky when you use the soap. Pretty but not practical. JMO

I agree with Candybee about it being cp. The botanicals are dried IMHO and once they get wet in the bath would soften up and generally make a mess in the tub. Just think about having botanicals stuck in places on your body and think about cleaning up the mess or your drain clogging up. Some people really like that sort of thing and the only ones I've used with success and not a whole lot of mess are calendula petals. I use calendula infused oils to complement the petals as well. Some folks like lavender in their soap and I bought some French soap with lavender buds and they turned brown when they got wet. HTH

Steve

• 2 months later...
It is CP. No one would list sodium hydroxide or water in M&P soap bars.

My guess is that this is a fresh loaf & the botanicas will turn brown over time.

SFIC lists sodium hydroxide as an ingredient on their m&p bases and water as well. M&P is still soap and requires sodium hydroxide to make. So if you want a legit label you better put it on there.

SFIC Castile soap label:

Ingredients: olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, safflower oil, glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin), shea butter, purified water, sodium hydroxide (saponifying agent), sorbitol (moisturizer), sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), soy bean protein (conditioner), titanium dioxide (natural mineral whitener).