Article on palm oil plantations

" Expanding production of palm oil, a common ingredient in processed foods, soaps and personal care products, is driving rainforest destruction and massive carbon dioxide emissions, according to a new study led by researchers at Stanford and Yale universities." Link

Make up our own mind if using palm wax is ecologically green or not.

Edited by rjdaines

I'm not sure who you're pointing fingers at is entirely fair, but I'll bite. I guess I didn't look in the soaping section, but I'll assume you posted something there specifically to the palm oil users as well?

There are many hands in this deforestation pot (I'll completely ignore the fact that palm production comes from areas other than Indonesia). Let's not forget palm wax is a by product as well. I get where you're coming from, but again, I don't think you choosing to single out palm wax users is fair or well-balanced. Admittedly, I'm curious to know your real intentions for this post.

I'd be VERY interested to see some data comparing the petroleum, soy and palm industries side by side for some real direction rather than a very specific arena...

I don't do soap so I don't post in that forum, feel free to repost it there if you wish.

I'm not making any point other than knowing the products we make require raw materials and we need to be cognizant of where those raw materials come from. One can then make their own choice. Paraffin candles come from petroleum, soy wax from soy oil, and palm wax from palm oil. All three make their ecological impact.

I really don't think it is fair to say one is "greener" or more environmentally friendly than the other. You can find positive reasons to use soy, palm or paraffin. And if you look at the flip side, I think you can find harmful facts regarding the use off all three as well. To think otherwise is naive.

For example, here are some of the reasons why soy is harmful to us and the environment, and the communities where it is grown:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/opinion/paraguays-destructive-soy-boom.html?_r=0

http://books.google.com/books/about/Stolen_Harvest.html?id=S6TjbOz0z68C

http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2012/dangl170712p.html

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Soy-Story-Americas-Favorite/dp/0967089751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349746794&sr=1-1&keywords=the+whole+soy+story

I could list articles outlining reasons why the use of palm or paraffin is bad, but I'm not going to, I think you get my point.

I make candles out of palm, paraffin and soy and love all 3 for their unique characteristics but am not fooled for a second into thinking that one is "greener" than the other.

Edited by pixie

" Expanding production of palm oil, a common ingredient in processed foods, soaps and personal care products, is driving rainforest destruction and massive carbon dioxide emissions, according to a new study led by researchers at Stanford and Yale universities." Link

Make up our own mind if using palm wax is ecologically green or not.

Thanks for posting this Science Daily article, RJ. I'm sure people want to make an informed decision based on scientific info that cuts through the hype.

Seems like we would fall more into the smudge category rather than a fingerprint or much less a footprint. Mass production on the other hand, needs to take some responsibility but when has that ever happened? I have an Iphone (even though I know its made by slave labor in China) and eat meat (that has been raised and slaughtered in an inhumane manner) but what can you do? Pay more for an Iphone and more for meat? If I quit using palm in my soap, will that save a part of the rain forest on Borneo? So maybe we could start a fund and begin leasing land in Borneo and save it from annihilation? Could you say that candle making is a green anything? I mean do people really need candles unless the power goes out? Can't we live with fake soap and do away with artisan soaps and products? we're getting priced out of the market anyway, so what diff does it make?

Steve

This is and has been an issue for a long time in the palm oil and wax industries re deforestation. There is a group leading the way for manufacturers to produce only sustainable palm products. However, their success lies in how 'honest' the manufacturer is about their product as making sure each one follows the regs has not been exactly strictly enforced. So you can buy a product marketed as 'sustainable' but can never be sure unless you actually visit the manufacturer and watch the process.