Oh my gosh...

I dont post alot in here, BUT, I am up at this rediculous hour because I was pouring candles for a baby shower and, I do not put the wicks in until they start to set up a little then I put the wicks in. Well, I waited a little too long because I got side tracked and there were SO MANY i poured that I couldnt get the wicks in fast enough! Some of them set up too much, so they are in the oven on a low temp warming back up so I can re wick them. I hate doing that because I dont want to burn any of the scent off...GRR! I just was SO frustrated, because these wicks i just got were all bent up for some reason and werent nice and stiff so it was even harder to get them in there and to stay properly centered which took even longer. I know, I could use wick stickems.... I just usually dont have this problem, but I just waited too long this time... BLAH! So anyway, thought I would vent. Haha. :undecided

And.... to top this off, because of my insane sleepiness, I am pretty sure that I got two cd10's mixed in and got them put in two of the candles that were supposed to have cd5's!!!! I had two bigger jars next to the ones I was making that I had to wick also, and i think i grabbed those wicks and stuck them in the little jars! UGGGH! MAN I guess i shouldnt be making candles when im this tired. What the heck???

Edited by joyofsoycandle

I've had the same problem with mixing up wicks a couple of times. Now when I'm working with 2 different sizes I'll mark one with a Sharpie. 3 different sizes will get one unmarked, one with a black mark and the third with a red mark.

Just have to remember to write down which mark goes with which wick!

It's just getting to be my bedtime ... so you are not alone. There are a couple of us night owls here.

Why are you wicking jars without adhering the tabs to the bottom? Floating wicks at the bottom of a burning jar is a bad accident waiting to happen.

That was my first thought. :undecided

Pre-wicking prevents the wick mixups too.

Why are you wicking jars without adhering the tabs to the bottom? Floating wicks at the bottom of a burning jar is a bad accident waiting to happen.

I was thinking that too. :( I use the red silicone from the auto supply also, to make extra sure they don't come loose.

Edited by HorsescentS

I do the same things over and over again because they produced the appropriate results after lots of testing, 11 years ago. I have never had any concern with how they have burned or I would have changed the way it was done long ago. :smiley2:

I bought a soy candle made in a canning jar from a farmer's market, and the jar broke while it was burning and could easily have started a fire. I also know quite a few people who have had the same thing happen with glass container candles of various types, including the Libbey candle bowl; so they won't burn glass container candles anymore.

There's a wikipedia article that explains one of the hazards of glass container candles is the containers can break from heat, so they recommend always using a candle plate to help disperse the heat. And I recently read an article by the fire department about how exploding glass container candles are a leading cause of house fires.

Every once in a while, someone posts here about their containers breaking or exploding during testing.

So, when the wick tab is not securely attached to the bottom of the jar it's even more hazardous because the burning wick can drift over to the side of the jar and overheat the glass causing breakage. When melted wax leaks out due to a sudden break in the glass, it exposes a long wax-soaked wick which blazes up into a huge flame, and can cause a house fire. It's so quick and easy to prevent it with a little dot of red permatex silicone from the auto supply, why take the chance?

Are your candles votive candle size? Those are the only ones people seem to be able to get away with not attaching the wick assembly to the bottom of the jar.

Edited by HorsescentS

Votives are wicked up through the bottom and then covered with a warning label. If people are pouring directly into a votive holder then that's not the purpose for that glass. Sticking the wicks in partially cooled wax is old school but using the wrong wick is dangerous and potentially fatal.

Votives are wicked up through the bottom and then covered with a warning label. If people are pouring directly into a votive holder then that's not the purpose for that glass. Sticking the wicks in partially cooled wax is old school but using the wrong wick is dangerous and potentially fatal.

All those crafty and homesteading websites are always telling people to use any kind of glass they like and just stick the wick in the partially cooled wax. Scary.

All those crafty and homesteading websites are always telling people to use any kind of glass they like and just stick the wick in the partially cooled wax. Scary.

Not just crafty and homesteading sites. Brambleberry advocates the same wick stick technique on the video blog. Worse, I've read plenty of that here on this very board. Pretty recently too. Seasoned chandlers offered the same warnings and were basically driven off mob style.

These are not votives, but 4 oz jars. The two jars that mistakingly got the cd10s in them had the wicks removed, i replaced with the correct size and kept those for myself.

Edited by joyofsoycandle

I was thinking that too. :( I use the red silicone from the auto supply also, to make extra sure they don't come loose.

Sorry joyofsoy for the hijack ..but I am curious about the red silicone, wondering if i should try it...

Is the red silicone more expensive than wick stickers? Does it hold better? Do you have to wait for it to harden before u can pour and is it easy to use?

Sorry joyofsoy for the hijack ..but I am curious about the red silicone, wondering if i should try it...

Is the red silicone more expensive than wick stickers? Does it hold better? Do you have to wait for it to harden before u can pour and is it easy to use?

It's easy to use, imo. It takes very little. I usually did it at night, then used the jars the next day. It was around $10 or so. I certainly never had a loose wick using it, lol.

Sticking the wicks in partially cooled wax is old school ...

Guess I'm an old school kind of gal. Started out with paraffin over 15 years ago ... and did it the same way ... wait for it to start setting up and then center the wick. Of course the jars had a sweet spot that kept it centered. Never had a wick drifting or floating complaint or problem. Started using the silicone high-temp bathroom caulk when I came here to research soy.

I started using it after I read comments on here that it's the only thing that never broke loose from the bottom and drifted during power burn tests, and it even beat the high temp glue guns. I think I get mine for about $8 and it lasts forever, so it's totally worth it, especially for peace of mind, since many people fall asleep or leave home with a candle burning. Permatex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Marker http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm

Edited by HorsescentS