Suppliers?

e911

So, I have been doing a TON of research into where to order my supplies from. So much so I created a spreadsheet listing the common items I'll need and marking the lowest/highest cost vendors.

A common theme is that Peak tends to be the cheapest, however, has anyone had first hand experience with them? Their website seems to be very nice and well laid out but sometimes looks can be misleading.

The only downside I don't like about Peak so far is they do not have small sample vials of oils to smell before buying larger containers. As I do not have anywhere local to get oils from I am a little concerned with buying a 1oz bottle then find out I do not like the scent. Seems like a lot of wasted money :(

Thanks everyone for the advice!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Peak Candle Supply actually host this board you could say a few of us have used Peak at one time or another. Most supplier will not sell in anything less than 1 oz samples and yes I have tons of them also. 1 oz is enough to make a few tarts for testing or a couple of small candles. Just sniffing does you no good you have to get in the wax or soap to really know if you like it or not. OOB smell is a lot of times deceptive.

Edited by Vicky_CO

As Peak Candle Supply actually host this board you could say a few of us have used Peak at one time or another. Most supplier will not sell in anything less than 1 oz samples and yes I have tons of them also. 1 oz is enough to make a few tarts for testing or a couple of small candles. Just sniffing does you no good you have to get in the wax or soap to really know if you like it or not. OOB smell is a lot of times deceptive.

I wasn't aware that Peak owns the board. Interesting. They do seem to be well priced on just about everything I'd need to get started.

So what does everyone do with those 1oz's that just sit around and collect dust? Sell them? Trade Them? I am only going to be making candles, and mostly focusing on tarts (im a huge tart warmer fan). Does the oil take on different characteristics when its in the wax vs out of the container?

(sorry for all of the new person questions! :-/)

You can never judge a FO completely by it's OOB (out of bottle) smell.

Most definitely it needs to be put in something to get what it really is supposed to be.

um....most of my 1 oz...if I didn't like them...collect dust... LOL

Some times I revisit them...and I've changed my mind and like them.. :)

You can never judge a FO completely by it's OOB (out of bottle) smell.

Most definitely it needs to be put in something to get what it really is supposed to be.

um....most of my 1 oz...if I didn't like them...collect dust... LOL

Some times I revisit them...and I've changed my mind and like them.. :)

hmm well then. Seeing how Peak seems to be the cheapest, I also found this: http://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/Alphabetic-Listing-of-all-Oils-C277.aspx . Has anyone had any experience with these folks?

1 ounce is really pretty small. Those in business here refer to them as samples. They work out to be a great size for me. Depending on how much your wax calls for, it does not make much. I would not use less than 1 ounce to test, myself, and I am just a hobbyist.

I have done really well with Peak and also Rustic Escentuals.

Many places even offer discounts on 1 ouncers if you buy 10 or 12. Places also will allow you to select a sample or two of your choice which is a nice treat!

I have just tested a few over 150 scents and have only found a few over 50 that I would make again so you are going to need to plan to invest in scents to find what you are really after.

When I run across an FO that I don't care for OOB, I set it back on the shelf. Then when I'm bored, I'll pull them out, maybe give them a try and alot of the time I find another compatible FO to mix it with. Example: I hate coconut but have found that it can be nice when blended with other scents, especially vanilla -- good way to use it up. Many yucky scents can be mixed with Patchouli.......everything goes with Patch :-)

Hi E911,

Welcome!!! The list of suppliers....they are like Lays potato chips....you can't have just one. You can pretty much figure with this type of business/craft you will have several. There are so many wonderful ones listed here on this site...Peaks products are awesome...I have always been very happy with everything I have ordered from them. I have also purchased excellent product from Cajun Candles, Candle Science, Indiana Candle Supply, Bitter Creek North, Bitter Creek South, The Candlemaker Store and others. It is so wonderful to have so many great companies to buy from. Have fun!!:smiley2:

You didn't say what wax you're going to be using, but if you're using soy, parasoy, or palm, stick with www.candlescience.com for a while because all of their FOs are designed to work in veggie wax. But if you're using paraffin, I recommend trying Candle Science, Peak's, and Candle Cocoon, first. After that, you might discover others from reading this board that you also want to try. I've never heard of Wellington, but you can search the board here for their name and see what comes up.

Hi E911,

Welcome!!! The list of suppliers....they are like Lays potato chips....you can't have just one. You can pretty much figure with this type of business/craft you will have several. There are so many wonderful ones listed here on this site...Peaks products are awesome...I have always been very happy with everything I have ordered from them. I have also purchased excellent product from Cajun Candles, Candle Science, Indiana Candle Supply, Bitter Creek North, Bitter Creek South, The Candlemaker Store and others. It is so wonderful to have so many great companies to buy from. Have fun!!:smiley2:

I need to order Mulberry Madness from Cajun, but they have a minimum order so I need suggestions for other awesome FOs to get from them, can you think of a couple of good ones?

I had planned on only doing soy based candles. Trying to be as eco-friendly as I can, plus I like soy candles better. They seem to be better for some reason (not sure why! ha!) I am mainly going to be doing tarts for myself. If i get good enough at it, then I might sell a few but mainly just doing this as a hobby for myself and break my Yankee addiction ha!

I've come across Candle Science and I like their how to videos, those are really great! Hopefully going to be buying some supplies soon to get started. So far on my list is:

Melting Pot

Spare pan to make the double broiler

digital thermometer

scale (good one)

Tart Molds

Small order of wax

A scent of some sorts.

I think thats all I need. :-/

I need to order Mulberry Madness from Cajun, but they have a minimum order so I need suggestions for other awesome FOs to get from them, can you think of a couple of good ones?

Hmmm...they just added the $15.00 minimum.......well, I usually order several scents from there at a time anyhow ..as far as what to order from them.....well Horsescents...everything is awesome, but my favorites are Spiced Orange, Blackberry Sage, Christmas Fantasy, Cinnamon, Peppermint (hands down the best one I have ever found in my 12 yrs of business) Vanilla Chai, Pear Glace, Patchouli, Jamaican Me Crazy, Cucumber Ivy, Autumn Spice and don't forget the Buttercream Crunch.:cheesy2:

Hmmm...they just added the $15.00 minimum.......well, I usually order several scents from there at a time anyhow ..as far as what to order from them.....well Horsescents...everything is awesome, but my favorites are Spiced Orange, Blackberry Sage, Christmas Fantasy, Cinnamon, Peppermint (hands down the best one I have ever found in my 12 yrs of business) Vanilla Chai, Pear Glace, Patchouli, Jamaican Me Crazy, Cucumber Ivy, Autumn Spice and don't forget the Buttercream Crunch.:cheesy2:

:yay:Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :yay:

Ok, so I poked around on Peak and came up with this shopping list. I want to start out with a small batch to try my hand at this and try to get the basics under my belt before spending a large amount of money on wax. One thing I don't understand is all of the different waxes. Some make sense others not so much :(:confused:

So here is my shopping list:

1 bottle of Cinnamon & Balsam FO - 2.50

12 Tart Molds - 7.80

2lb sample of GW464 - 4.50

4lb pouring pot (for later use) - 8.99

1 glass top scale w/TARE feature - 34.95

1 metal themometer - 6.28

Grand total: 65.02 before shipping/handling.

Am i missing anything?

I don't use peak, but I just looked through their waxes. Ecosoya Pillar Blend looks to me like the best tart type soy wax they have. I know some people use it and mix it, try doing a search here on the forum for Ecosoya PB and see what you come up with.

Who do you use for wax? I was looking at Candle Science as well, but I was trying to do everything from one place.

It's been a while since I last been on the bb. Hope everyone is well.

What about dyes or color chips? If you go with liquid dye be sure to get a few of the glass eye droppers or caps Peak sells.

Peak is a great supplier. I have been using them for years and have always been very pleased with their products and service. Candlewic is another fine supplier.

Before I forget, welcome aboard!

It's been a while since I last been on the bb. Hope everyone is well.

What about dyes or color chips? If you go with liquid dye be sure to get a few of the glass eye droppers or caps Peak sells.

Peak is a great supplier. I have been using them for years and have always been very pleased with their products and service. Candlewic is another fine supplier.

Before I forget, welcome aboard!

Thanks!!

To save on expenses for the time being I think I'm going to skip dyes. However, liquid dye was how I was considering going since its so much easier/more economical way to do it.

Depending on where you live- check shipping rates

CS is much cheaper for me than Peak so I get my wax from CS and order fragrances from peak.... As far as wax for soy melts you will definitely want the PB and then you can mix some container wax in there of you want but you may be happy with just straight PB- everyone uses different ratios and blends but that is where your "testing" and "experimenting" is going to come into play

I think I can safely say also that this won't be cheaper than buying Yankee- ask me how I know! LOL BUT it is much more fun and rewarding to burn your OWN!

I use a ratio of 60% PB and 40% container and I don't have a specific one I use yet- I am still deciding which one I like best- I have used 464 - 135- 415 and Excel

I also recommend for what little money they are and are so much easier to work with- a presto pot from Walmart or meijer- so worth the $$!

Good luck and happy pouring!