Clamshells vs Portion cups

jeniryan

There's a very popular chandler not far from me here in Texas that, I think, only sells portion cups calling them scent shots. She is a divine chandler anyway, but she sells a ton of them! So, I've just wondered how well they do for others in comparison to the clamshells.

Do you use 2oz cups? Do you price them differently?

Yes, I use the 2 oz. cups but they really only hold 1.5 oz. net wet. I see that many will advertise their single melts as 2 oz. but as far as I can tell from weighing them after poured it is 1.5 oz. I sell the clamshells for $4.50 and the single melts for $1.95. For now my single melts have an informal label. I mainly sell them so people can try fragrances out. I have not been reopened long enough to know how well the single melts will do. I figure I should sell the clamshells as much as Scentsy does but there is so much competition with the small vendors that have such cheap prices. Not sure how they even make anything with such low prices. I guess a slightly lower price than Scentsy will help compete with them as well.

There's a very popular chandler not far from me here in Texas that, I think, only sells portion cups calling them scent shots. She is a divine chandler anyway, but she sells a ton of them! So, I've just wondered how well they do for others in comparison to the clamshells.

I think I know who you are talking about. She does seem like a lot of fun and great at marketing. I think the key is not only having a quality product but also great marketing skills. It all talkes a lot of work and time that is for sure. It is hard to make the time for excellent marketing on top of devoping and production, etc.

I think I know who you are talking about. She does seem like a lot of fun and great at marketing. I think the key is not only having a quality product but also great marketing skills. It all talkes a lot of work and time that is for sure. It is hard to make the time for excellent marketing on top of devoping and production, etc.

If its who I'm thinking of, she and her whole family are helping with the business. It's easier when you can delegate out responsibilities to others and focus on making the product. JMO.

If its who I'm thinking of, she and her whole family are helping with the business. It's easier when you can delegate out responsibilities to others and focus on making the product. JMO.

Exactly! I agree. That is why it is hard for many candles makers, including myself.....not enough help...and usually no help. I am most likely talking about the same person, and I agree with you. I have two girls but I am not a very good delegator (unless I had paid help) and they really have no interest at all. I am very particular as well with my products when made. When I worked the biz for 5 years they were pretty young during that time.

post-11507-139458503104_thumb.jpg

I didn't exactly intend to have both but I hate wasting scented wax so I pour what's left in the pot in a portion cup and sell them as Scent Singles in this little shopping cart with a sign that says "shopping for a new scent". I was using oval 2 ounce now I use rounds. They became popular so now I actually mix up a little extra so I have them in stock. The cart helps attract customers to my booth. I bought the cart off the classifieds on this board and haven't been able to find another that's as nice as this one is.

I sold both clamshells and portion cups when I first started. I think they sell equally well for me. I just sell the portion cups right now and they sell just fine and nobody has really asked about the clamshells.

I have seen a cart like sold at Target. :)