Where to get a Presto Pot with Spigot

Hi Everyone,

I am tired of the double boiler method and am ready to graduate to a Presto Pot. Alot of posts lists merchants that no longer carry it. Does anyone have a place that they trust? I am looking for one with a spigot.

Should it (spigot) be solid brass? I think I read something about that somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

I am tired of the double boiler method and am ready to graduate to a Presto Pot. Alot of posts lists merchants that no longer carry it. Does anyone have a place that they trust? I am looking for one with a spigot.

Should it (spigot) be solid brass? I think I read something about that somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the spigot should be solid brass. I wrote down the instructions but did not note solid brass. We put the spigot in and found the wax would not come out. Re-read and found brass conducts heat and is essential. Re-did it and it worked perfect.

If you can operate a drill, know which size bit to put in, that is the hardest part. I did not make mine but watched it be done. Some vids show using plumber's tape around the threads and don't show using JB Weld. I'd highly suggest using JB Weld. After years, mine did begin to leak a bit. It was taken apart, more JB put on and was good as new for another year or so. Fixed it again and is still being used with no leaking.

Also, I'd suggest smearing some JB around the outside where the spigot meets the pot just for a little extra help if you don't care how it looks.

GL

I built mine about 8 years ago before I had seen anyone (or thought myself) to use JB Weld. I made 2, and one of them has a small leak because it looks like I didn't drill it out smoothly.

It is very easy to do, WHEN you're able to get the right sized everything. My issues were finding the drill bit of the right size (19/32 I think?) and a thread tap (since, from my understanding, these are hard to find due to the use of PVC and glue these days). I haven't checked to see if anything's changed since I made mine, but if you have the right sized tools, you can save yourself some money, especially when you want to add pots in the future (trust me, you will ;-) )

I made my own, there are plenty of instructions on the web. The big cost factor is the tap if do not have one. I also used longer pipe and high temp silicone from a auto parts store, plumers tape will not work and JB Weld looks like dog crap! Beware of bad materials used if you shop for one. By the way mine has never leaked a drop with the high temp silicone and it looks so nice too, unlike JB. Good luck!

I made my own, there are plenty of instructions on the web. The big cost factor is the tap if do not have one. I also used longer pipe and high temp silicone from a auto parts store, plumers tape will not work and JB Weld looks like dog crap! Beware of bad materials used if you shop for one. By the way mine has never leaked a drop with the high temp silicone and it looks so nice too, unlike JB. Good luck!

WTF is with this? Each to their own. It freaking melts wax, not an end table decoration.

Mine does not look like dog crap unless you consider a smooth coating of a different color around the spigot dog crap. Maybe b/c someone who knew what they were doing applied it.

You like silicone...go for it. Condemning another person's technique or product isn't cool.

Let me take a wild guess here....you use high temp silicone on your wick tabs?

Edited by jeanie353
additional

I made 4 on my own. The first one is the most expensive if you dont have the right tools. After that its worth making your own. I have tried plumbers tape and it leaks after time so now they all have JB WELD. Dont skimp on the spigot or it will not flow properly and the lever wont be smooth.

Jeanie your a nut and I laughed my A$$ off at your response.!! LOL I could always put flowers in the empty ones for my wife and use it as a centerpiece if I turn the spigot to the rear so no one sees it!! Whats wrong with that?? After all I am broke because of all of this....

Mike

Edited by Mountain Soy Candle

I made 4 on my own. The first one is the most expensive if you dont have the right tools. After that its worth making your own. I have tried plumbers tape and it leaks after time so now they all have JB WELD. Dont skimp on the spigot or it will not flow properly and the lever wont be smooth.

Jeanie your a nut and I laughed my A$$ off at your response.!! LOL I could always put flowers in the empty ones for my wife and use it as a centerpiece if I turn the spigot to the rear so no one sees it!! Whats wrong with that?? After all I am broke because of all of this....

Mike

There's an idea for us! I'm thinking outside on a table with fresh flowers would be very purdy too. :)

Hi everyone today i want to say that I turned the water off to the outside spigot and left it open in preparation for winter and the water consistently drips. How do I fix this problem to get the drip to stop? Please be detailed as I have minimal experience in spigot repair.

:tiptoe:

Um, okay. Back to topic! I have two presto pots without the spigot. I just use a ladle, and it's worked fine. However, I've been working with a local animal rescue and someone local that used to make candles donated all their leftover supplies, which just so happened to include two older style presto pots with spigots! Once I'm done using up the wax and FO that was donated, I get to keep the pots for myself as payment for my time. :-) My husband thinks I'm nuts, but it is so much nicer than spooning out the wax. It took a few tries to get used to it so I wasn't adding too much wax (letting it come out too quickly), but I got it now, lol.

It took a few tries to get used to it so I wasn't adding too much wax (letting it come out too quickly), but I got it now, lol.

Reminds me of the first time I used mine. I had it almost filled to the top with melted soy, opened the spigot and didn't realize it streams the wax out fast and farther than I expected. Missed my pour pot totally and landed on the floor. So glad it was soy at that time for cleanup!