2 oz scent shots or 2 fluted tarts?

leisa2003

The fluted tarts, shrink wrapped in baskets, $1.25 each or 5 for $5.00. They sell like hotcakes for me. People didn't like the plastic 'scent shot' containers, which was fine with me, cause I hated the look. :cool2:

The fluted tarts, shrink wrapped in baskets, $1.25 each or 5 for $5.00. They sell like hotcakes for me. People didn't like the plastic 'scent shot' containers, which was fine with me, cause I hated the look. :cool2:

How much does it cost to shrink wrap every tart? Curious because I like this idea of shrink wrapping because i think it looks more professional. I'm not sure the scent shot would fly here in So Cal.

Love this idea! I don't do the scent shots, but people in my area do, I do think the look a little less than professional, but they seem to be selling like crazy around here!

How much does it cost to shrink wrap every tart? Curious because I like this idea of shrink wrapping because i think it looks more professional. I'm not sure the scent shot would fly here in So Cal.

When I was shrink wrapping mine several years back, I got the bags from AH/RE, I think. It might of been Cierra. They were inexpensive, small bags that I'd put the tart in, fold the sides in, then the bottom and hit with the heat gun. The hardest part was getting them taut along the top and sides but it got easier as time went on.

Now, I have a heat sealer that I'm going to seal them up with. Have not used it yet so am hoping I can get the very small seams needed for fluted tarts.

This is my experience also. I do soy and get $1.50+ per 1 oz without breaking a sweat.

Please forgive me for saying this, as a customer, the scent shots look cheap and IME are inconvenient to use. My melter holds only 1 oz, so I have to take a knife and cut the 2 oz piece of wax risking a cut of my hands and then have to clean the knife. I avoid them.

The tarts, though, let me get more scents as a consumer, and each fits my melter perfectly with no extra effort. I don't like them pre-packaged in 2's personally.

The cello lip and seal bags are a cheap $.03 per bag alternative to a shrink system and look shiny on a table. Add a little hang tag for another couple of pennies and hang them on a sheet of peg board for a clean look that takes little space. I hang them above a table to take advantage of the vertical marketing space. Recycle a frame with the peg board backing for an intentional chic look. The colors always draw attention and lookie loos from the crowd.

Better than either is the breakaway clamshells since i can mix and match the scents in my melter with no mess. You can claim a pretty premium price for them since people are accustomed to seeing them at $4-5.

TallTayl,....

I have thought about selling single tarts,..I agree I think they will buy more knowing they can get more of a variety for their money. I do have 3x3 ziplock bags I could use. I will be putting them in little rainbow colored oval buckets (bowl size).

Edited by leisa2003

Since we're on the subject of scent shots, I'm curious.

What does everyone sell these for? ( and how much wax is in the shot.. 1, 2, 3, oz?)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm really interested in doing this and although I looked for the answer in the Search, I wasn't able to come up with anything.

That's about what I was thinking they went for Faithful, but that kinda brings up another question... if you do about 2 oz in each cup, my melt packs are just over 3oz (full) and I sell them for 3.00 here because thanks to WalMart, they wont go any higher and I'm gonna have a fit getting them to do 3.00. So, that would be 2 2oz cups = 4 oz for $3.00.. that's a full oz more, for the same money. I see the benefit of the cups in being able to try more scents that way, but I'm wondering if they will "get it". People are kinda weird down here.

I did manage to save all of my wax melts when I lost everything, so I have a ton of those sitting behind me. Since I don't know which is going to sell the most here, the cups or the clams, I guess I could lower the price on the clams I have now, to 2.50. ( which I REALLY DON'T wanna do ).

I guess now I get to figure out how the heck to label those boogers.

I have thought about doing the clamshells, I like those, and it seems it would be super easy. Right now I do mostly "crumbles" and they sell like crazy! Occasionally I make the fluted tarts, and they still sell, but around here they can't get enough of the crumbles!

I can see the appeal of those. They're different and not often seen elsewhere. If packaged creatively I can see them as a premium priced item. IME people will respond to things that are different rather than commonly produced high mass appeal commodity items.

Fluted tarts can be different - add some different colored wax... Marble colors... Add chunks or embeds in shapes to represent the fragrance... I buy those from other vendors when a patron at a fair, and I MAKE them. I love seeing different packaging - packaging makes the product. When at fairs and holiday shows people are looking for something special to give as a gift to friends and loved ones. Why buy something commonly available when you can get something SPECIAL?

Clamshells can be special too. People that say they can't get more because of Walmart are copping out. Add some charms or something creative that people want. A very good friend of mine gets $5 for clamshell breakaways all day long because she 'tarts' them up; she has created a following in the target market she chose. That is what has elevated her business head and shoulders above her hobby-minded competition.

Who wouldn't want collectible charms or teensy figurines? Works for McDonald's and their happy meals, no?

I can see the appeal of those. They're different and not often seen elsewhere. If packaged creatively I can see them as a premium priced item. IME people will respond to things that are different rather than commonly produced high mass appeal commodity items.

Fluted tarts can be different - add some different colored wax... Marble colors... Add chunks or embeds in shapes to represent the fragrance... I buy those from other vendors when a patron at a fair, and I MAKE them. I love seeing different packaging - packaging makes the product. When at fairs and holiday shows people are looking for something special to give as a gift to friends and loved ones. Why buy something commonly available when you can get something SPECIAL?

Clamshells can be special too. People that say they can't get more because of Walmart are copping out. Add some charms or something creative that people want. A very good friend of mine gets $5 for clamshell breakaways all day long because she 'tarts' them up; she has created a following in the target market she chose. That is what has elevated her business head and shoulders above her hobby-minded competition.

Who wouldn't want collectible charms or teensy figurines? Works for McDonald's and their happy meals, no?

So you are saying she "tarts" them up,..meaning, she puts like little charms (etc..) on the wax? I seen a Etsy seller do that,..her shop name is The Bathing Garden. Wonder where she gets the tiny charms(?) they are adorable.

So you are saying she "tarts" them up,..meaning, she puts like little charms (etc..) on the wax? I seen a Etsy seller do that,..her shop name is The Bathing Garden. Wonder where she gets the tiny charms(?) they are adorable.

Exactly.

My guess would be Fire Mountain Gems. And clearance aisles of stores to get them a a very good price. And from Etsy - many importers offer cheap as chips charms from Hong Kong. I like to add the charms to some special candles, soaps and even lotion bottles to hit target markets.

Some of the charms I see sell for pennies each, then get stuck on a length of gros grain ribbon (costing pennies a yard from wholesalers) and marked up to $10 at local shows and ren faires. People scoop up the 'good deals' on charm necklaces.

It doesn't take much to stand out in a sea of all the same. Check out the tiny embed molds too. Little tiny cinnamon buns in a cinnamon bun tart melt are too irresistible to pass up.

People pay for the extra effort. Practically anyone can melt some hobby lobby wax into a cup with a bit of scent. If people can do it themselves using stuff they can find at the local store, or it is perceived as super easy, then they won't be willing to pay much for it - if they buy it from you at all. If it looks too complex, or if the cost to start is too high (relatively high barriers to entry like with some silicone molds that retail for big $), then they will buy it from YOU at a price YOU set.

ETA - Just did a quick check on the Bathing Garden - who has sold 46 of her clamshells since Sunday alone. That's retail of $161 using her measly $3.50 top line on just clamshells. You can get away with lower retail numbers if you have enough sales volume and inventory turnover. Her sales number overall is pretty darned impressive for an Etsy shop too!

Edited by TallTayl

correction on the above post. it was actually 106 clamshell sales since Sunday in addition to higher margin items. Hokey smokes her turnover is grand. Well done!

It looks like she has temporarily closed her shop. I love what she does with embeds and glitter.

This is my experience also. I do soy and get $1.50+ per 1 oz without breaking a sweat.

Please forgive me for saying this, as a customer, the scent shots look cheap and IME are inconvenient to use. My melter holds only 1 oz, so I have to take a knife and cut the 2 oz piece of wax risking a cut of my hands and then have to clean the knife. I avoid them.

The tarts, though, let me get more scents as a consumer, and each fits my melter perfectly with no extra effort. I don't like them pre-packaged in 2's personally.

The cello lip and seal bags are a cheap $.03 per bag alternative to a shrink system and look shiny on a table. Add a little hang tag for another couple of pennies and hang them on a sheet of peg board for a clean look that takes little space. I hang them above a table to take advantage of the vertical marketing space. Recycle a frame with the peg board backing for an intentional chic look. The colors always draw attention and lookie loos from the crowd.

Better than either is the breakaway clamshells since i can mix and match the scents in my melter with no mess. You can claim a pretty premium price for them since people are accustomed to seeing them at $4-5.

Where do you get the cello lip and seal bags? And what size do you use?

Edited by kforbs126

I get quite a few things here: http://www.giftsintl-us.com/

My fluted tart melts are shrink wrapped (National Shrink Wrap system). I use various size lip and tape (1.2 and 1.6 mil) for packaging other things - like shampoos, conditioners, travel sets, samples, swap items, bundling lip balms for shipment, free gifts with purchase, etc. The shiny package can make a sample with a pretty card inside look really special.

I've tested out the 3x5 lip and tape for the average tart melt. You can fold the cello bag over itself to make the wrap as snug as you like. At less than a penny per bag you can try all the sizes and still not spend more than a few bucks. A pretty sticker or even a little card inside the package behind the tart would look well thought out and display worthy.

Hang tabs like these to display your colorful fluted tarts from a pretty painted and framed peg board should get you some attention from potential customers. I always found that when people look UP at a product they psychologically think more of the item than if looking DOWN on it resting in a bin on a flat table. I hang many of my high margin items at eye level at the entrance to the space. I've seen people use upcycled DVD racks on tables achieve the same final effect.

I get quite a few things here: http://www.giftsintl-us.com/

My fluted tart melts are shrink wrapped (National Shrink Wrap system). I use various size lip and tape (1.2 and 1.6 mil) for packaging other things - like shampoos, conditioners, travel sets, samples, swap items, bundling lip balms for shipment, free gifts with purchase, etc. The shiny package can make a sample with a pretty card inside look really special.

I've tested out the 3x5 lip and tape for the average tart melt. You can fold the cello bag over itself to make the wrap as snug as you like. At less than a penny per bag you can try all the sizes and still not spend more than a few bucks. A pretty sticker or even a little card inside the package behind the tart would look well thought out and display worthy.

Hang tabs like these to display your colorful fluted tarts from a pretty painted and framed peg board should get you some attention from potential customers. I always found that when people look UP at a product they psychologically think more of the item than if looking DOWN on it resting in a bin on a flat table. I hang many of my high margin items at eye level at the entrance to the space. I've seen people use upcycled DVD racks on tables achieve the same final effect.

I really like your shrink wrap idea but what size of shrink wrap do you use? Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to narrow down the correct sizes before I order a bunch of the wrong things.

PS Thanks for all your information!

Edited by kforbs126