464 or 415

I started off with 464 and used it for a long time and loved it....until I tried 415

464 is a good wax when you find the right scent/wick combination and to me it was easier to work with and get smooth tops- I still use it occasionally

Then I tested 415 because a lot of people said the scent throw was amazing and in IMO it DOES have much better HT and it has been easy to wick

I have tried both and with the FOs that I tested, I did not find a big difference between 415 and 464. 464 is easier to work with in terms of pour temp and looks a little better after a burn has cooled. Maybe others are using additives to get post-pour smooth tops.

• 3 weeks later...
Any opinions on which you like better? Thanks so much!

Michele

The GB 415 has great HT, but for looks I would choose the GB 464. Mind you, not as nice as the C-3, but a whole lot better looking than the 415 with its smallpox looks, lol

• 5 weeks later...

I too like El classic soy. I've had the best luck using EL thus far for container candles, however getting the pour temp just right can be tricky when first using it.

I've read here on this forum from another member in the past that "Beanpod" candles are made form El classic. I wonder if thats really true?

Edited by pixie

• 3 months later...

As to not start a new and very related thread, I will jump in on this one.

I am playing with 415 in combinations with my 4625, 4627 and 4630. I wondered if anyone would suggest I try 464 instead of the 415. I have been reading here and reviews on on supplier sites and I cannot see clearly that I should or should not so am asking.

I only do melts so no jar, wicking or the like should be a consideration in your answer.

Thanks so much!!

As to not start a new and very related thread, I will jump in on this one.

I am playing with 415 in combinations with my 4625, 4627 and 4630. I wondered if anyone would suggest I try 464 instead of the 415. I have been reading here and reviews on on supplier sites and I cannot see clearly that I should or should not so am asking.

I only do melts so no jar, wicking or the like should be a consideration in your answer.

Thanks so much!!

I just about the start making melts and have decided on starting with a 50/50 mix of 4625 and 415. Why? Well, it seems like a good place to start. I have 464 but that has a lot of additives and a lower melt point than 415. Depending on the temp of the melters, this may or may not be a good thing. I also have 444 as well as 415 and 464 and see no reason why any of them wouldn't work but for now I'll start with the 415.

Using 4627 or 4630, I think, will produce a too soft of a melt and may be difficult to get cleanly out of the mold.

Melt points

4630, 4627 = 125

4625 = 145

415 = 120-125

444 = 120-125

464 = 115-120

Thanks!

I just went and looked and I did make 4627 and 415 (okay, honestly I have made every combination I can with a number of waxes!) and surprisingly, those came out of my Wilton silicone molds fine. It did smudge the poly bags a bit more than my harder blends.

Today I have high hopes for the blend I am melting/testing. I have waited 10 days for this first melt. It was made with 4625/4630/415 in equal parts. I made them in Ellipso cups rather than my molds. They popped out perfectly clean.

Thanks again!

Thanks!

I just went and looked and I did make 4627 and 415 (okay, honestly I have made every combination I can with a number of waxes!) and surprisingly, those came out of my Wilton silicone molds fine. It did smudge the poly bags a bit more than my harder blends.

Today I have high hopes for the blend I am melting/testing. I have waited 10 days for this first melt. It was made with 4625/4630/415 in equal parts. I made them in Ellipso cups rather than my molds. They popped out perfectly clean.

Thanks again!

Candle Science has a melt tutorial in which they use 6006 wax, which (I believe) is a parasoy of 70/30, so your 3 wax blend would be about the same ratio. Just to make my above list more complete, 6006 has a melt point of 133. Wonder what the melt point of your blend would be?

I'd say that you are right. The 4625 is harder and has a MP of 140-150 so since I used all in equal amounts, I would say if the math is averaged, 130-ish.

Thus far I have used:

KY133 Versatile Paraffin Blend

Clarus 3022

I have blended them all in innumerable combinations!

Yes. I have gotten myself NICE and confused!! haha!

I know that everyone does well with their own blend, system and there are differences between candles and melts as well as those who make as a business and me who just makes for myself and gives to friends and family.

I had done best with 4625/4630. I tried 4625/4627 and I cannot tell a difference in these two blends. I tried soy because I wanted to know that I had tried all that I could so that I knew for myself and so that I could be on a level playing field, not in years of experience, but in what I had tried.

415 seemed to add a bit of richness/depth to my scents, which are spices and bakery primarily, in my first phase of testing. So, I am trying 415 with the other two successful blends for me, 4625/4630 and also 4625/4627.

Hoping that offers me the blend I prefer best. We will see!

My candle blend is 50/50 464 and 4630 with CD wicks. My tarts (the ones I don't make with feather palm) are a 50/50 415 and 4625. Been doing it this way for years and it works well for me, although I have been tempted to tinker with some other wicks I've got laying around from when I first started testing. So far I've been able to stave off my curiosity with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" argument, but part of me can't resist...testing...some...more. WTH?

As an aside (like I have not already taken samandkennasmom's thread off on my own tangent) I got some brand new white 5 gallon buckets and these great screw on lids at Home Depot. Makes getting into the bucket simple and since I am beyond Type A, the 5 gallon buckets sit nicely on my chrome restaurant shelves. I use them to hold my 4627 and also 415 flakes.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203205720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=gal+5+bucket+lid+screw&storeId=10051#.UNo8g6yH-So

Edited by justajesuschick

Those look great! I just replaced my dogfood one (similar) from PetSmart with one from Walmart (don't like) & that would have been perfect!

As an aside (like I have not already taken samandkennasmom's thread off on my own tangent) I got some brand new white 5 gallon buckets and these great screw on lids at Home Depot. Makes getting into the bucket simple and since I am beyond Type A, the 5 gallon buckets sit nicely on my chrome restaurant shelves. I use them to hold my 4627 and also 415 flakes.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203205720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=gal+5+bucket+lid+screw&storeId=10051#.UNo8g6yH-So