Admittedly, math is not my friend, but 1 oz. of FO to 1 lb. of wax? Really?

I see many use 9%-10% FO load.

To me, that would mean much more oil per pound of wax than what I read (1 oz. FO/1 lb. wax). More like 10-11 ounces of wax per 1 ounce FO. I have been using an ounce of FO to about 11-12 ounces of wax. Even then some are just right (apple pie, fruit slices-stronger oils) or not quite strong enough (graham cracker, maple syrup).

I just make wax brittle/tarts and just for myself. Of course I want them as strong as the wax will hold. I use KY 133 granulated paraffin as well as IGI 4794 paraffin.

Can you set me straight? I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

The standard starting point for a FO is 1 oz per pound, some people use more and some less. Not all FOs are of equal strength. To confuse matters more, some people subtract out the weight of the FO from the wax weight for a final weight of 1 pound while other just add 1 oz of FO to 16 oz of wax. In the later case, the %FO is not exactly 6% (1 oz in 15 oz) or 5.9% vs. 6.2%. Most say "close enough". Successfully increasing the FO load above 6% depends on the properties of the wax one is using. Some swear by using higher loads while other say it's a waste. There are too many variables to make a universal statement and testing is the only way to know. Increasing the amount of FO used may also affect wicking but since you do tarts that is not an issue.

To make life and calculations easier I convert ounces to grams and weigh out materials on a digital scale set to grams.

Graham cracker & maple syrup are strong scents typically, so I'm a bit surprised they came out lighter than you thought. When you have oils that are heavy in vanilla, you should make sure you add them at a high enough temperature to blend with the wax, and stir alot! You should have achieved good results with that percentage.

For me, I use a standard 5.9% (adding 1 oz FO to 16 oz wax) for my starting points. I have found a couple of FO that just doesn't work at that strength. For example, I have to use closer to 3% with Peak's Vanilla Passion. And I have a couple others that I have to use a full 9% on as well.

Don't forget candle nose I never burn what I just made for a last few days because honestly I have candle nose and they will not seem as strong but if I wait a few days wow the scent come back but not really it is actually my nose that came back.

Edited by Vicky_CO

Everyone here preaches 1oz per pound for a starting point. The folks who say they can make a wicked throw with that ratio either have a secret supplier or are just messin with us. I found that 12 to 18 percent gets the job done for most scent suppliers and wax. Some scents are stronger and can be reduced, most are not.

However, higher FO loads tend to change the burn rather dramatically and sometimes sweat out if too much so the next key is to get the additives right to hold the higher load and then get the wick right which is something that nobody here can help with. They will, as I will, tell you to Test, Test, Test.

(Based on 1oz pp, the advice on this website for wicking is worth listening to. When you go outside the box, you're on your own, as am I.)

Edited by EricofAZ

There is another explanation, Eric: maybe your sense of smell is impaired. Or you have a different definition of what a "wicked throw" is? I use all the usual suppliers, and have never gone onver 8%. I get some wicked throwers.

About a month ago, I tested a 6 oz tin, with 7.2% baked apple from ICS, and the scent filled my downstairs! I'm not messing with you.

I have been adding FO to my wax at 175-180 degrees, stirring 2 minutes and pouring at 150-155.

Is that appropriate for paraffin?

For 4630 I add the FO at 186 and stir down to 175 and pour. The temp for pour has more to do with final appearance of the candle rather than throw. The idea is to have the wax hot enough and stir enough to get the FO well mixed with the wax. An overly long cool in a container might lead to some settling of the FO but your pour temp should work though I prefer hotter with paraffin..

I use a para/soy wax that throws most everything pretty strong at a ratio of 1 oz fo per 15 oz of wax. If I'm using fos from Candle Cocoon and Lyschel says only use 1/2 an ounce per pound; that's what I do. Follow the advice of the distributor and the wax manufacturer. I don't know of any wax that can handle a heavier load than 10% comfortably withouth seepage. Not only is it expensive and harmful to your bottom line but it can be dangerous to overload a candle. IMHO. If it won't throw at 6-7%; I'm not interested.

Steve

Everyone here preaches 1oz per pound for a starting point. The folks who say they can make a wicked throw with that ratio either have a secret supplier or are just messin with us. I found that 12 to 18 percent gets the job done for most scent suppliers and wax. Some scents are stronger and can be reduced, most are not.

Holy moly those must be some terribly weak FO's that you have to use 12 to 18%! My candles would be weeping FO all over the place with that overload. :cool2:

The FO's I have gotten have been from companies I see recommended here and even using at a pretty high concentration, I can barely smell some of them once in wax.

I am going to test a couple of other waxes to see if that is my issue. Perhaps as a newbie I am doing something else wrong. I chose paraffin as some that I preferred/bought from makers were paraffin.

I have purchased pounds and pounds of melts from others and only mine that are apple pie, cinnamon, lemon or toasted marshmallow/buttercream smell as good as what I bought from others. Maple syrup, Graham Cracker, Hansel and Gretel's house all smelled like wax with just the faintest scent.

However, higher FO loads tend to change the burn rather dramatically and sometimes sweat out if too much so the next key is to get the additives right to hold the higher load and then get the wick right which is something that nobody here can help with. They will, as I will, tell you to Test, Test, Test.

(Based on 1oz pp, the advice on this website for wicking is worth listening to. When you go outside the box, you're on your own, as am I.)

Holy moly those must be some terribly weak FO's that you have to use 12 to 18%! My candles would be weeping FO all over the place with that overload. :cool2:

Ditto- I use soy and 1.5 ounces per pound of wax- I cannot get throw with 1 ounce per pound

But that is a seriously high FO %. Something else has to be going on there if your using suppliers others here have success with

Edited by moonshine

Perhaps some that I liked were parasoy and I did not know.

I do not care for the soft, messy feel of soy. I like wax that I can pop right out. Maybe I need to get over it and try some.

I have been using 1 ounce of FO to 11-12 ounces of wax.

I also like my wax super strong.

don't think the wax is the issue... soy is harder to get to throw good from what I understand. 1oz to 12 oz of pariffin is more than enough if they are good FO's and you are adding it at the right temperature. I have run into FO's that won't throw well for me even at 1.25oz per pound - (I normally go 1oz PP) if they won't I move on... to many good FO choices out there to get stuck on one that doesn't work for me - whatever the reason.

I think we are discussing too many variables here. 1) Not all FOs work in all waxes. 2) Some FOs are heavier and require more effort to incorporate into wax so a higher temp and more stirring might help. 3) Start at 6% FO and go up or down a percent or two as needed. Exactly which issue is at play here I don't know, this is what testing is for.

If you have had success at 175 - 180 then that works for you with that FO, others may require a different wax or any of the above changes. I can't imagine that raising your temp 5 degrees will suddenly make a big change but you never know until you try. Some never work, for me that's Monkey Farts. There are many FOs out there.

Exactly - we could all tell you what works for us - doesn't mean it will work for you. As crazy as it seems. All we can do is give you guidelines and try to help you find what works for you. If a certain FO isn't working... try another... there are so many good ones out there don't get stuck because one gave you a hard time.

Got it!

I am likely doing something wrong. Too many FO's considered the best in their category (as I have searched and searched here) that I get nearly no scent from after making for it to be a one off fluke.

I am going to just keep plugging away and learning (likely from my own mistakes!).

Thank you all so much for your comments and help. I really appreciate it!!

Got it!

I am likely doing something wrong. Too many FO's considered the best in their category (as I have searched and searched here) that I get nearly no scent from after making for it to be a one off fluke.

I am going to just keep plugging away and learning (likely from my own mistakes!).

Thank you all so much for your comments and help. I really appreciate it!!

What wax are you using and is it a paraffin or a parasoy?