Controversial UPS shipping question

How do you charge for UPS shipping?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you charge for UPS shipping?

• Offer customers my discounted UPS rate
    • Charge full UPS rate & pocket the difference between it and my discounted rate

So as to not disclose the identities of those who choose to answer this controversial question I thought I'd post it as a poll. When you ship via UPS do you offer your customers your discounted rate or do you charge the full amount and pocket the difference between your cost and the full rate?

Thanks for participating!

For the record, I offer my UPS discounted rate and that's all I charge. The reason for the question, and the question itself is probably not one many will answer honestly if at all, is because I started wondering how many people we order things from everyday, that use UPS as their shipper, who actually charge us the full UPS rate and then use their discounted rate to ship and pocket the difference? Sadly, there are those types of people out there and we as consumers will probably never know they're doing it.

When I've shipped things on ebay I've always charged the amount quoted, and 'pocketed' the difference. It just goes towards packaging (envelopes, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc.) so buyers aren't really getting ripped off or gouged. Although, I've only used USPS to ship, maybe there's more of a difference in quoted v. actual cost with UPS...

I don't use UPS. However, I always add $1 - $2 per order into the shipping charge depending on the size of the order. I call it SHIPPING. I do not add use the word handling. I do not charge my customers separately for paypal or credit card fees or for the price of their packing materials. I do explain what REASONABLE SHIPPING means on my website and disclose everything when asked. I think I have been asked about shipping once in 15 years of business.

I usually ship the cheapest way, regardless of who the carrier is. I have a couple wholesale customers that order so much that UPS is really the only option for us, but otherwise, the smaller orders go post office. I give refunds through my etsy shop for extra shipping that they have paid. I try to be fair whenever possible.

We charge exactly what it costs us to ship. We eat the packaging and time. The way we look at it, we make enough profit to offset what a shipment actually costs us. We prefer sales from the store but never (rarely) turn down business. We carefully check shipping costs on our raw materials and drop companies that charge more than they should in a heart beat. Always do what is right.

I don't get a UPS shipping discount because I don't get enough business yet. I charge $6 flat rate for shipping and am usually losing money. The closest USPS location is about 30 mins away and with my busy schedule and their limited hours, its much easier to ship UPS...just a lot more expensive -_-

Just wanted to comment that USPS will pick up priority packages at your home for free! Just print your shipping labels online (you get a discounted price), and request pickup!

I charge exact shipping and if the cart estimates more than the actual cost, I refund the difference to the customer.

I do the same. If my website overcharges I only charge the actual cost and notify my customers of the savings. If it undercharges I eat it and review my shipping rates on my website to fix it.

I was thinking about this the other day when I was going to order from Just Scent. 47.00 UPS shipping on a 50lb box from OH to NY. More than double my rate and I know I'm not getting her volume discount, but 47 was double the advertised rate on UPS without an account so:undecided.

Maybe the cart is not configured right.

I charge a flat rate and even if it's a 5.00 difference I still will NOT refund the difference. Flat rate is flat rate. When a large order costs me 60.00 to ship to CA I'm not standing there with my hand out expecting the customer to pay the additional shipping so vice versa.