Pour pot question

I currently make about 14 fragrances in my candles and 15 in my melts. I have four pour pots and am constantly having to clean them out to get ready for the next fragrance. My question is does anyone have multiple pour pots each designated for one fragrance only? If I had 15 pour pots, each designated for one fragrance, then it would cut down considerably on my having to clean each pour pot out. Is this feasible or, if you have a set up like this, is it more trouble than it's worth?

Thank you!

I currently make about 14 fragrances in my candles and 15 in my melts. I have four pour pots and am constantly having to clean them out to get ready for the next fragrance. My question is does anyone have multiple pour pots each designated for one fragrance only? If I had 15 pour pots, each designated for one fragrance, then it would cut down considerably on my having to clean each pour pot out. Is this feasible or, if you have a set up like this, is it more trouble than it's worth?

Thank you!

What a brilliant idea! If I could afford it, I would do that.

I use glass pyrex pour pots. I keep a little broiler oven on the counter and just stick them in there for a few minutes. That gets everything melted off the side. I poor the remants in a 5 gallon bucket and then wipe clean with those blue shop towels. Pretty quick and easy.

Nope, I just wipe out well with papertowels after pouring and move on to the next one. Never had any issues with FO transferring to the next one.

I haven't had an issue with fragrance transfer either but I do find that, since I use soy and have to pour cool to get smoother tops, that I end up wasting a lot of wax that could be used for another batch. It isn't a lot at one time but over time, having to clean the pour pots out after every pour to pour another fragrance, a lot of wax gets thrown away. I'm going to try having one for each fragrance and if it doesn't work out then you'll see some pour pots for sale in the classies! LOL.

Oh heck ya. That would be great. As many paper towels as I use up I'd pay for one pour pot in one month...almost...on sale.

That's another issue I have; wasting paper towels. Like you I go through what I consider too many paper towels cleaning each pot and stirring spoon. Another savings I could have along with the time and hassle of not cleaning every time.

I use 4786 for my paraffin candles. It's a 2-pour wax and I have to reserve some wax after the initial pour to do the top-off. Yep - I keep a pot on hand for each fragrance. Sometimes I have a good deal remaining after the second pour and would rather keep it for the next batch.

As far as paper towels I've tried several. The absolute best ones for me are VIVA select-a-size. They absorb so well and I can decide if I need just 1 for a small clean up or 3 (equals 1 1/2 regular sheet) for larger jobs. Yes, they are a little more expensive - but I use less of them and it takes less time to do a job.

HTH

I have a different pour pot for each scent, I carry over 100. Each pitcher holds 4 lbs of wax, I use plastic and reheat in the Microwave. Been doing this for 12 years and some are that old. I have found the ones from Walmart are perfect they cost about $1.00 each have a 5 inside a triangle, on the bottom, so it can be heated and is micro safe. Noticed this year the are smaller only about 31/2 lbs.

Unscented baby wipes may be your new bestie~when pot is still hot/warm, use this to wipe out residue, then wipe with paper towel. Ready to pour again in most cases. I always bleach down my pots/stirrers when doing crazy scents like patch or strong florals such as lilac or lavender. HTH

I have a different pour pot for each scent, I carry over 100. Each pitcher holds 4 lbs of wax, I use plastic and reheat in the Microwave. Been doing this for 12 years and some are that old. I have found the ones from Walmart are perfect they cost about $1.00 each have a 5 inside a triangle, on the bottom, so it can be heated and is micro safe. Noticed this year the are smaller only about 31/2 lbs.

Are these the beverage pitchers that have the brightly colored lids?

I've always used toilet paper to wipe out my pots. It's more absorbant and does a better job than any brand paper towel I've tried.

With a few exceptions, I haven't carried the same scents year after year. More often than not, I'll go through a 16 oz bottle of FO, maybe go through another bottle or two, and then never use that scent again. And with all the suppliers who have gone out of business in the last couple of years, I can't imagine having a separate pot (and storing it) for each scent. Nothing wrong with it if it works, though.

Can you explain more of your method? How are you keeping temperatures at the level they should be? I use aluminum pour pots set over in a Fry Daddy full of water, but I'm open to other ideas. (Should I start another thread for this since it's not exactly in keeping wit the original question in this one?)

Are these the beverage pitchers that have the brightly colored lids?

Yes, I also have one for iced tea. This year the lids are orange, green and I think dark Pink. They have up to $1.29 in my area.

Also forgot to say I use soy wax, Paraffin doesn't work well in the micro, although I have melted small amounts. I put a label on the outside with scent name and what FO I use along with color and how many drops I use per pitcher.

Can you explain more of your method? How are you keeping temperatures at the level they should be? I use aluminum pour pots set over in a Fry Daddy full of water, but I'm open to other ideas. (Should I start another thread for this since it's not exactly in keeping wit the original question in this one?)
I'm not that concerned about keeping the wax at a certain temp. If it gets too cool I put back in micro for a few seconds or minutes more. Guess I should not have answered since this is technically the paraffin section.

post-215-139458496885_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharon in KY

I use toilet paper too. Got that idea from Sliver a long time ago.

I have about 12 pour pots but...I have probably 100 different scents too. I pour what is left of my parasoy into the metal tart molds. I melt them myself or give to my daughter and a couple of close friends.

I would love to have a pot for each fragrance because I hate the wiping down part, but I don't have the room for all the pots. It looks like Sharon's are nestable (if that's a word) so that would definitely save space. As for my preference, I've been using old glass coffee decanters that I picked up from 2nd hand stores and usually only cost about $1. The glass seems to retain the heat longer than the aluminum pour pots, but I can't nest them.