Can I Pour Into This "Holder"?

Oh, I'm with you on the bit more work, but I see so many really beautiful containers marketed as "votive holders" that I would LOVE to pour in from time to time and not just the same containers over and over. Plus, we leave our wax natural so sometimes we like a boost of color or something. I found some really pretty red "votive holders" at a local store, probably would hold an 8oz pour, so on the bigger side, but I wondered IF I could pour into them why aren't they marketed that way, I mean they are really different.

Thanks so much for your input, always appreciated!

Ok, Im trying to learn here but ... what would be the difference in wicking that and making it a container, than if you were to make votive at home. Wouldnt you be doing essentially the same thing?

I think I understand what you are asking, but forgive me if I get it wrong. That essentially IS my question. Would there be a difference? I get concerned that IF a container was meant to have 185 degree wax poured into it and subsequently burned than it would be sold as such, but I would really like to pour into some of these containers and am trying to see what others think about the safety of that OR if they too would feel that if you can burn a votive in it....you can wick it, pour, and make a container candle out of it.

Edited to say: I too am learning....all the time :)

Edited by sisters3

I don't see any difference. Placing a votive is slightly different than pouring wax but of course you intend to test the container. A well designed votive burns down within the shell like a pillar and eventually the wall blows out and it fills the container with the hot wax. The challenge would be to wick the container without it getting too hot and cracking. Can't tell how that holder is designed from the pic. HTH

Steve

You might have to go one wick size larger depending on the diameter of the container compared to a standard votive candle. Votive holders with a candle basically turn into little container candles at some point so pouring 165 degree wax into them should not be a problem, they get hotter than that as the flame burns down into the holder.

Only two things come to mind. Make sure that the container is not pottery or earthy ceramic, those can absorb and wick. Doesn't look like it in the pic. The other is that many of these pretty containers are made in China and use lead in the glaze. You can tell if it has a metallic look. You can also tell by microwaving for a few seconds and if it heats up, it has lead. I won't use stuff that has lead in the glaze for safety reasons.

Only two things come to mind. Make sure that the container is not pottery or earthy ceramic, those can absorb and wick. Doesn't look like it in the pic. The other is that many of these pretty containers are made in China and use lead in the glaze. You can tell if it has a metallic look. You can also tell by microwaving for a few seconds and if it heats up, it has lead. I won't use stuff that has lead in the glaze for safety reasons.

Thank you SO MUCH....That is a really great tip and great information.

If the holder is designed to contain a glass votive container and candle, that's best. Many good looking votive holders are made in China from ultra cheap glass. I bought a couple of imported mosaiced ones from the Dollar store and compared them with ones I had mosaiced myself. There was no comparison. The el cheapos didn't last long with votives; however, they did okay with tea lights. I poured candles into a couple of the el cheapos I bought and those fared the worst. Remember: it isn't how pretty they appear, but the quality of the workmanship that counts in high temperature applications.