Dispelling the soy soot myth

We've all read and heard the claims that soy doesn't soot and that paraffin does. I hope the pics I've attached will help end this claim.

I use only GB415 (all soy) wax and add only fragrance oil to my candles (no dye, no paraffin). The pics are of a candle I gave to my step daughter to test (she does a lot of testing for me). It was made with GB415 and 8% FO. I've told her numerous times to make sure she keeps the wick (ECO-6) trimmed and you would think that since I make candles and that she's family she would listen. Au contraire! We would like to think that our customers listen to what we tell them but in reality they don't and neither does my family apparently.

Aaaaaanyway, this is for those who say that soy doesn't soot.

Edited note: I didn't ask her but I'm sure this is the result of a power burn with no wick trimming.

post-12823-139458493193_thumb.jpg

post-12823-139458493198_thumb.jpg

Edited by classiccandle

Hmmmm, thanks. Do you think maybe an ECO-6 was too big for that container, maybe? I normally use CD wicks but have wicked that diameter of container and ECO-4 was plenty. I use GB464, so not sure how that compares to the GB415. Could it being over wicked have maybe contributed to the soot?

Are you sure the container is not just a black frosted tumbler, lol! I have had a few palm wax testers do the sooty thing on powerburns, but never like that! Yeah, any kind of wax will do this if not wicked properly, thankfully that was only a tester! But I still love seeing the "no soot or carcinogins" claim from soy candle sites.

From what I've read and been told...it was never said that soy do not soot. If it is not properly burned, you will get soot. I agree with you Mike, it is not fair to blame any wax if the wick is not trimmed each burn.

There are many, many, many, many candle websites that say just that. Unfortunately..

sisters3 - I don't think the wick is too big. I've burned a lot of these same candles with those wicks and not had any soot issues like this as long as the wick was properly trimmed.

Mike - I'm not blaming the wax. I'm simply pointing out that those who claim soy wax doesn't soot are incorrect. I agree that it isn't the wax but more the improperly trimmed wick that's to blame. All I use is soy wax but I won't tell my customers that soy doesn't soot.

IS - here are just a few of the claims I spoke of that I've found on the internet:

"Soy wax doesn’t produce black soot when burned."

"What is all natural to breathe in and doesn't leave that black soot as residue? The answer is soy candles."

"It's so pure you can eat unscented soy wax, and it doesn't produce soot"

"Soy doesn't produce soot."

"...as soy wax doesn't leave behind soot like paraffin wax does"

"...it doesn't leave behind black soot, smoke, and residue."

"Candles made from soy wax do not emit the soot and fumes that come from regular paraffin wax candles."

and the list goes on and on.

Any wax will soot if the candle/wick is not properly maintained during burning.....period. That said, most consumers know didly-squat about trimming the wicks and those that have been told and choose to ignore the instructions will get soot so why worry about it. Just make your candles so they burn properly and leave the rest to the consumer.

Edited by Pam W

Short true story.

I was set up in a house that was converted to a Craft Shop. They only burned soy candles. The air conditioner contract guy came to change the filter one day. He pulled it out and the originally white filter was black. He knew right away there were candles being lit. It's typical - whether you can see the soot on the side of a jar or not - all candles do it.

There are many, many, many, many candle websites that say just that. Unfortunately..

I agree it is unfortunate that companies do this. Just like the companies that make stuff that is "all natural" when really 5% of it is and the rest is chemicals. Though I've never read anywhere that actually researched it that soy never produces soot, just less if burned properly. The only places I've seen it said that soy doesn't produce soot is from the companies that are manipulating the truth or someone who really hasn't done their research. I am grateful for this forum because it did help inform me a lot about the myths of "natural" candle making.

Wow. I've never seen a soy candle soot like that even though I'm a self-confessed powerburner. I've overwicked some, underwicked some, trimmed, not trimmed, but have never ever seen that amount of soot on one of my candles. Wow.

As for the myth - I don't know why anyone pays any attention to that at all. Anything that burns will produce soot and smoke under the right conditions.