Wick Pins

Totally love wick pins!! My first pillars (when this madness began 8 months ago) were melted down candles from here and there and some wick from Michaels. Everything was lovely and I was burning my first pillar candle <<patting myself on the back>> and then half way down the candle the wick had been pulled to the side and then whole thing was moot!!

I had that wick primed and pulled straight, but when the paraffin formed that cavity as it cooled it must have pulled the wick with it. From that moment on.....wick pins. I have made votives ONCE without them, the very next order for supplies had wick pins in it! Haven't looked back.

Tami :)

....I too have pulled the wick out and changed it during a test in both votives and pillars.

I use them for votives- I would end up with tons of wickless votives if I didnt! I would get distracted and forget about wicking them before the congeal.

The only problem I dont like with them is not always getting perfect centers...I have to go thru mine one day, I have a feeling they are bent a little from tapping down on the cement to loosen them from the pin

Another thing for me is I have to use the flat bottom ones- the concave ALWAYS crack my votives in half when removing the pin

I do not make pillars- I tried last year to do a heart and it was a disaster to wick...but how would you use pins for these? are not the bottom of the molds supposed to be the top of the candle- or do I have that wrong??

I'll be honest and say I still haven't figured the darn things out for pillars yet.

If your pillar mold has a hole, you can use them one of two ways.

Using the wick pin from the outside: Place a ball of wick putty over the hold and pass the wick pin through it and "seat" it against the putty. The putty should seal the hole. This is not my favorite method.

Using the wick pin on the inside: Seal the hole with a piece of silver ducting tape (not duct tape - the metallic silver kind).

Drop the wick pin into the mold and proceed as you would for votives.

If your pillar mold has no hole, congratulations - you don't have to use the silver tape! Just drop the wick pin in same as you would for a votive. HTH :-)

I have the seamless molds with the pretty concave top, and squares with beveled edges, so I use my pillar wick pins from the outside pushed through the hole. I had quite a few leaks no matter what I did to seal the hole and I ended up with putty all through my wicks (they don't burn well when they are filled with putty). Also, I bought the 3-inch by 9 inch pillar wick pins and they work for my two inch molds that are short or tall AND my molds that are three inch wide, and even the three inch square molds. I like multi-taskers.

With the wick pin I just use a little putty around the pin and press the mold onto the putty and pin. Make sure it's level with a little level (thanks to hubbie) and when I pour I just pour a few tablespoons to check for a leak, but I haven't' had any leaks (so far-----touch wood) and then pour the mold as usual. I really love the wick pins! Large and small.

Tami :)