second batch of soap-a few yellow spots?

jackie

On my second batch, I'm seeing a few yellow spots here and there, not on all of it but I'd like to figure out what it is. The recipe was Kat's creamy bubbles but I subbed shea for the cocoa butter:

27% coconut oil

36% palm oil

25% olive oil

7% castor oil

5% shea butter

This is the first time I've tried coloring and I did use F/O--cotton blossom.

I didn't have the temps very close--the last time it took so long for the lie water to cool, I used an ice water bath and it cooled so fast I wasn't ready so the lie water was only 65 degrees while the oils were 80 degrees. Could that be it? I had the loaf covered with towels in a warm room but I forgot to peak to see if it was gelling.

Any ideas? I'm going to try the same recipe again and was wondering where I need to concentrate my changes.

post-11236-139458491656_thumb.jpg

post-11236-139458491661_thumb.jpg

post-11236-139458491665_thumb.jpg

Hi , Jackie , by what you commented about the temps of the oils I think maybe bits of shea or palm resolidified in your batch ..you are mixing at really cool temps..this is what i have been doing for the longest time is take advantage of the heat produced by the lye mix and pour over the hard oils/oils to melt and process it that way, works really well for me..but if you would like to follow traditional instructions make sure both oils and lye are at similar temps..just not that cool, although I have made room temp cp soap but you really have to blend,blend,blend until the texture of whipped cream, it makes fab soap too, hope that helps................

yes it does help. thanks. Now that I know how quickly the lye water can cool, I'll get stuff ready beforehand. Last time the temps weren't close but the lye water was close to 110 and the oils about 80--both much warmer than this time. No yellow spots before but with the recipe being completely different, it's hard to make a comparison. Haven't gotten my timing down just yet.

Those yellow/orange spots look like one of two things to me:

1. DOS (how fresh were the oils you used?). If so, you will see more as the soap ages...

2. Rust spots (did you use distilled water? If not, is there iron in your water supply?)

3. Some yellow colorant that was not dissolved fully. (What kind of colorant did you use?)

Your soap looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

Edited by Stella1952

I believe the spots are the shea butter bits that got chilled, it doesn't look like DOS to me it looks like yellow dots. Just my humble opinion. If the spots are not zappy I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I', inclined to believe it's the shea due to my cool temps and I poured at a med trace. The oils were just purchased, I used distilled water and the colorant was green oxide (dissolved in glycerin). I had read where some people soaped at room temp so I was starting to think temp didn't matter that much. Just shows how little I really know at this stage. Thanks for the replies.

Your soaps look beautiful, very nice swirls and maybe your oxide discolored a little bit on you. Let them cure a couple of weeks and see if the tops or outside corners discolor some and you may have a little overheating (sugar/salt). Just plane the soaps and that ought to clean the bars up just fine. You ought to give Quiet Girl's recipe a try and see how you like that recipe. I've used both recipes and still find Quiet's to be one of the best. HTH

Steve

Just plane the soaps and that ought to clean the bars up just fine. You ought to give Quiet Girl's recipe a try and see how you like that recipe. I've used both recipes and still find Quiet's to be one of the best. HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was concerned about my swirl attempt because I could see it didn't get to the bottom when I poured it. But I wasn't unhappy with the final outcome for a first attempt. I need to get something to plane my soaps with that will do it evenly despite me (I can't cut anything straight) and doesn't cost alot.

I've searched for QuietGirl's recipe a few times, even searching by the username and i can't find it. I can find posts complementing on it but I can't find the recipe in either the recipe section or this section. I even tried sending a message to her. If anyone has that and would like to share, I'd appreciate it. I've started playing with soapcalc and the effect of diff oils but I'm more comfortable with a "tried and true" recipe for right now.

Edited by jackie

thanks. That first link looks like the recipe was copied into it so I bet it's that one. I've wondered if anyone sees any real diff between brands of veg shortening. I have a small unopened crisco if it hasn't gone bad in the can (it's a couple years old; it's soybean and cottonseed oil). I never use it so I rarely ever buy it. I guess it's time to check the ingredients on those. I do have pure lard so I could try that now and then try again when I have veg shortening (I live 45 mins from walmart so I don't just run to the grocery to pick something up).

DOS does not appear in freshly made soap, it takes time for DOS to show it's ugly head!!

I did have some show up 2 1/2 weeks into the cure, but it was a horribly humid summer and the ac died and one of the oils I was trying out at the time was not a good cosmetic grade either, but I agree with you 100%.

DOS does not appear in freshly made soap, it takes time for DOS to show it's ugly head!!

I've had DOS appear just a week after making a batch. It seemed to be related to the colours because the parts that were natural and not coloured, had no DOS. I hypothesized that possibly the colour caused an oxidation reaction. It was the first and last time I used grapeseed oil, that may have been a factor. Grapeseed oil is not stable for long.

I've had DOS appear just a week after making a batch. It seemed to be related to the colours because the parts that were natural and not coloured, had no DOS. I hypothesized that possibly the colour caused an oxidation reaction. It was the first and last time I used grapeseed oil, that may have been a factor. Grapeseed oil is not stable for long.

I disagree. I have GS in my soaps and it does not promote DOS. I have some three-year-old bars with not a speck.