Spices/Natural Colorants in CP Soap

GailC

My daughter finds a lot of unique ingredients at the International stores she frequents, and just now gave me a few ounces of tumeric.

I also bought some kelp powder which I haven't tried yet.

Do any of you use spices like paprika, dill, etc. to color your soap?

I found a blog where someone used curry powder, chili powder and other kitchen spices.

http://thesageblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/

Here's the page with the tumeric powder soap and others.

http://thesageblog.wordpress.com/2010/09/page/3/

Hi Gail, I also use natural colorants, but some morph into a different color completely because of the alkaline..natural colorants product sometimes produce unstable results, but by all means have fun, just one hint, some botanicals will turn black in the some such as lavender and some mints, but chamomile and calendula look very pretty in cp soap as does a little green tea leaves..:)

Turmeric is amazing! In India, the brides apply a turmeric mask to their faces for the 7 days leading up to their weddings, and it fixes everything: acne, brown spots, wrinkles, dark circles, etc. It has amazing health benefits if you take it as a supplement, too, like anti-cancer, anti-inflamatory, prevents alzheimers and arthritis, etc. Here's the mask:

The oral supplement is called Curcumin, I think.

It has amazing health benefits if you take it as a supplement, too, like anti-cancer, anti-inflamatory, prevents alzheimers and arthritis, etc.
Ummmm... I doubt that. People have tried this repeatedly with desperate conditions like Alzheimer's Disease and it honestly makes no appreciable difference in the progression of their disease. There are no conclusive, replicated studies to back up this blanket claim. Researchers ARE interested in turmeric's active ingredient, curcumin...

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/turmeric

Edited by Stella1952

I've heard about turmeric's effects on cancerous conditions, Alzheimer, etc. However, there is not enough solid evidence to convince me - yet. Turmeric is approved by Commission E (Germany).

Studies suggest it has positive effects on conditions like ulcerative colitis and dyspepsia. It does show good anti-inflammatory properties. Several studies concluded that turmeric is as effective as many OTC meds, without the side effects usually associated with anti-inflammatories. However, it takes longer (an average of 4 days) before it "kicks in".

If my old brain remembers correctly, some studies results may be available from the University of Maryland Medical Center. Personally I do not like the taste; I've tried it as a tea and I just don't care for it, so I put it in capsule form; problem fixed :P

Turmeric is amazing! In India, the brides apply a turmeric mask to their faces for the 7 days leading up to their weddings, and it fixes everything: acne, brown spots, wrinkles, dark circles, etc. It has amazing health benefits if you take it as a supplement, too, like anti-cancer, anti-inflamatory, prevents alzheimers and arthritis, etc. Here's the mask:
The oral supplement is called Curcumin, I think.

I want to try some beet juice for coloring. Have beets growing in the garden and everytime I prepare them, everything in my kitchen gets turned a bright red color...counters, hands, towels, etc........a shame to waste such beautiful color.

I want to try some beet juice for coloring. Have beets growing in the garden and everytime I prepare them, everything in my kitchen gets turned a bright red color...counters, hands, towels, etc........a shame to waste such beautiful color.

Hm, now that's a thought. Let us know what happens.

I've heard about turmeric's effects on cancerous conditions, Alzheimer, etc. However, there is not enough solid evidence to convince me - yet. Turmeric is approved by Commission E (Germany).

Studies suggest it has positive effects on conditions like ulcerative colitis and dyspepsia. It does show good anti-inflammatory properties. Several studies concluded that turmeric is as effective as many OTC meds, without the side effects usually associated with anti-inflammatories. However, it takes longer (an average of 4 days) before it "kicks in".

If my old brain remembers correctly, some studies results may be available from the University of Maryland Medical Center. Personally I do not like the taste; I've tried it as a tea and I just don't care for it, so I put it in capsule form; problem fixed :P

My daughter did the turmeric mask a couple of days in a row, and WOW! It made a huge difference! I'm wondering if it can be used in soap and body butter.

I don't see why not; perhaps do a skin patch test and wait 72 hours. If you do, please let us know how it worked out for you.

Also, do you have the recipe for the face mask? Thanks!:smiley2:

My daughter did the turmeric mask a couple of days in a row, and WOW! It made a huge difference! I'm wondering if it can be used in soap and body butter.

I don't see why not; perhaps do a skin patch test and wait 72 hours. If you do, please let us know how it worked out for you.

Also, do you have the recipe for the face mask? Thanks!:smiley2:

Ravens, the recipe for the turmeric mask is in this video, but she calls it a "beady mask":

Beet juice will fade fast and morph. Beet powder is better but morphs also into any color between yellow to deep purple, depends on the recipe. There is a list of different colors that herbs and natural colorants produce. I disagree with some of the info based on testing so make sure you test thoroughly. I think a lot depends on your recipe and colors of oil you use.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapmakingbasics/a/natcolors.htm

This one is a little more accurate

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art50548.asp

Ravens, I'm wearing the turmeric mask right now, and boy does it feel good! My face had broken out, and it feels like it's just eating up all the blemishes. lol

I had to try it too...lol. It did make a nice mask but it can stain..duh!

I had to try it too...lol. It did make a nice mask but it can stain..duh!

The garbanzo/chick pea flour, called "gram" flour, will keep it from staining your skin yellow, but if you mix it just with yogurt, it may stain your skin. I researched it more, and learned that in India, they cover the entire body of the bride and groom with a paste mixture of turmeric and sandalwood powder many times leading up to the wedding in order to make their skin all perfect for the wedding night. Turmeric would make soap a pretty yellow color.