Small Batch Recipe for Tarts

tbowers8403

I can not find a recipe for a small batch of tarts. I have been searching this forum and only found the 1lb, 1 ounce of EO/FO recipe's.

I am waiting for my order that I got on Amazon of Soy 444. I understand NOW that this is for jar candles, but this is just to learn how to make tarts (melting process, etc) so I don't mind if it is a softer wax.

I would like to make maybe 2-3 small tarts. Any recipe's for that? Thanks for the help.

How many ounces, total, are your tarts? Use water to fill them up and weigh how much water is used. Say it's 8 ounces. So you'll want 8 ounces of total wax with FO. What percent of FO are you planning to use? Say you want to stay at 6%, so take 8 - 6% (or x .06 if your calculator doesn't have a percent key) and you'll get .48, so that's how many ounces of FO you'll want to use. Now subtract the .48 ounces of FO from your 8 total ounces, and you get 7.52, which is how much wax you'll want to use to make a total of 8 ounces to fill up your tarts, container or whatever else you're doing. HTH. :-)

Maybe it's Yo Gabba Gabba in the background and me trying to read LOL but I am slightly confused.

In the first part of your post you said if your using 8 ounces worth of tart cups, then you need 8 ounces of wax.

But the last part is something about subtraction (math unfriendly here) and it came up to 7.52. So do I need 8 ounces of wax like originally stated or 7.52 ounces of wax (or can I round it out.

Also one other question, do I use the same amount of EO as I would FO? I plan to use EO's instead.

Also, I'm learning I need more EO lol Gonna buy some :)

Thanks again for the help, honestly, this board has taught me so much. I thought this would be ultra easy, but looks like I need more stuff. I don't have a scale or anything. I was gonna jimmy rig up a melting pot. Ghetto Tarts :)

Edited by tbowers8403

I can not find a recipe for a small batch of tarts. I have been searching this forum and only found the 1lb, 1 ounce of EO/FO recipe's.

I am waiting for my order that I got on Amazon of Soy 444. I understand NOW that this is for jar candles, but this is just to learn how to make tarts (melting process, etc) so I don't mind if it is a softer wax.

I would like to make maybe 2-3 small tarts. Any recipe's for that? Thanks for the help.

I make tiny batches when I'm testing scents for melts. So I can use 4oz wax + .4 oz FO = 3 portion cups. hth

You would need 8 ounces of wax WITH FO, or including the FO, so a total of 8 ounces of scented wax. Does that make more sense? When figuring out what percentage of FO you are using (I have no idea about EO's) you will need to know how to calculate it like I've explained. So your total scented wax is your wax PLUS your FO. If you just used 8 ounces of wax and then added .48 ounce of FO, then you'll end up with 8.48 ounces of scented wax, which is fine if you have a use for the extra wax. Otherwise, you are wasting that .48 ounces of scented wax.

I would definitely go get a scale if you want to do small batches- the one I got is $20 at walmart, and it does .1 oz. increments. So what I do is melt my wax in my pot, and then weigh out 2 oz. of wax, and .2 oz. of fragrance oil, and then I pour into those little itty bitty muffin pans. I usually get 4 small tarts out of that, and enough to test the wax, or scent I'm trying to see if I like it. :) Or, if you want to use only 6% EO, you would need .12 oz. of fragrance oil to 2 oz. of wax. Does that make sense...?

Everyone's done a great job of explaining. My question is why are you using essential oils instead of fragrance oils? Much harder to get decent throw from essential oils and it is very expensive. It's not as simple as "adding more" oil because the wax won't hold more oil. For example, a sponge can hold only so much water. The wax will weep out the oil and you'll have oils spots all over your tart and in your molds.

Everyone's done a great job of explaining. My question is why are you using essential oils instead of fragrance oils? Much harder to get decent throw from essential oils and it is very expensive. It's not as simple as "adding more" oil because the wax won't hold more oil. For example, a sponge can hold only so much water. The wax will weep out the oil and you'll have oils spots all over your tart and in your molds.

I have discovered it's more expensive, so I'm gonna get some FO instead. I eventually aim to use EO/Soy tarts because when I asked people if j were to eventually sell them what would they like to see and all that responded stated EO. I think it's the "all-natural" appeal.

I have discovered it's more expensive, so I'm gonna get some FO instead. I eventually aim to use EO/Soy tarts because when I asked people if j were to eventually sell them what would they like to see and all that responded stated EO. I think it's the "all-natural" appeal.

So you are considering SELLING and you haven't even mastered a tart yet? Putting the cart before the horse????????

So you are considering SELLING and you haven't even mastered a tart yet? Putting the cart before the horse????????

You seem very encouraging. Honestly, I'm just trying to learn and I am aspiring to find a hobby I like to turn into a business. I understand it will take quite some time, so I am trying to learn all I can and get all my facts so I can write them down and reference.

Something I learned as a child: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

when I asked people if j were to eventually sell them what would they like to see and all that responded stated EO. I think it's the "all-natural" appeal.

What people do not understand about EOs is they are not as stable for melting in wax for prolonged periods of time as are FOs which are engineered for this purpose. This is true of using EOs in soap as well. The "all natural" appeal may be important to a certain portion of the market, but an EO that fades or doesn't last long will not garner repeat sales. It's good that you are thinking ahead if you intend to sell someday because it's a long road from here to there. There's a lot to learn and it takes time and experience to make consistently high quality products.

What people do not understand about EOs is they are not as stable for melting in wax for prolonged periods of time as are FOs which are engineered for this purpose. This is true of using EOs in soap as well. The "all natural" appeal may be important to a certain portion of the market, but an EO that fades or doesn't last long will not garner repeat sales. It's good that you are thinking ahead if you intend to sell someday because it's a long road from here to there. There's a lot to learn and it takes time and experience to make consistently high quality products.

Thanks for the input!! I like the variety of the FO's - I will dabble maybe down the road with EO's or here and there.

Long road is right, I'm pregnant with my second and due in May. Got my hands full! At least it will be a fun hobby for now. I ordered all the equipment I need today, so I'm very excited.

Let's not even get started on the "how natural is soy, really?" subject. That being said, you need to focus on what will make a good, consistent and ultimately, cost effective product. And one that will spark repeat business. Thanks to unscrupulous and unknowledgable (is that a word?) chandlers/soapers on Etsy and the rest of the interwebs perpetuating misinformation, a lot of folks think there are such things as green apple, apple pie, cinnamon roll or, my personal favorite, Love Spell EOs

Edited by Faerywren
Comma splice that was driving me crazy

You seem very encouraging. Honestly, I'm just trying to learn and I am aspiring to find a hobby I like to turn into a business. I understand it will take quite some time, so I am trying to learn all I can and get all my facts so I can write them down and reference.

Something I learned as a child: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I agree! But keep your vision Im new too and would also like to turn this into a business some day. I understand like you that it is very hard work and will take time to get it right.But what I dont understand is why is it that alot of times on this forum when new people express interest in BUSINESS OR SELLING, some of the more experience chandlers are so NEGATIVE? Why cant it be just a "thats great you have a plan or goal of were you want this to go, just continue to work hard and you will get there". I'm so glad my destiny does not lye in anyone's hand but mine and GOD!!! SO IM GOING TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO KEEP PUSHING AND TRING WE NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN, BUT MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND LEARN:) I KNOW I AM

The issue that many have with this, is the fact that you asked people what they would like, yet do not seem to know the difference, or how it affects a finished product. Also, did you advise these people that a EO candle would be much more expensive/not available in all the scents they want? I bet this would change some of their answers.

Again, you worry about what people would like to see if you sell, but how credible are these answers if you do not know how it would affect your bottom line? How can you even ask that question of people when you have no idea what goes into making a candle>?

Thanks for the input!! I like the variety of the FO's - I will dabble maybe down the road with EO's or here and there. Long road is right, I'm pregnant with my second and due in May. Got my hands full! At least it will be a fun hobby for now. I ordered all the equipment I need today, so I'm very excited.

You should speak with your dr/ob gyn about if it is safe for you to be around undiluted FO/EO... Some scents have definetly given me headaches (hello Citronella, I am talking to you!!), and it may be harmful for you and the baby.

Lastly, you had mentioned, "I plan to use EO's instead." ...

without learning about the qualities/ pros/cons of FO vs EO, how can you make that plan? They each perform very differently! As expensive as candle making is, EO candles are muchhhhh more expensive. Realistically I have invested thousands of dollars before I was ready to sell, but I have never considered using EO for selling primarily just due to the cost. Not cost effective.

With that being said, good luck, it is a frustrating but fun hobby.

You might want to consider getting your FOs to work in your wax melts and and starting a sales line for those. Then later branch out with a special essential oil scented wax melt line. This will give you more time to get to know the ins and outs of your wax while you are learning to make tarts. Essential oils can be expensive to work with and get a good throw with so knowing how you wax handles certain scents will help. Also, some suppliers carry EO blends you may want to try.