basic CP question

jackie

I'm just at the gathering info stage; haven't made any soap yet. If you want to mix the lye outside, do you need to consider the ambient temperature? Was wondering if I can do this in winter (I'm in TN so we don't have super cold winters). Seems like it would help with the cooldown but I was wondering if it would affect how well the lye mixes with the water.

I'm just trying to figure out what might go wrong ahead of time and address it now.

I've printed the tutorial and have a small soapmaking book (I thought the book would cover CP and HP but it's CP only). My main workspace would be in my walkout basement--not great ventilation there.

From a newbie standpoint, is there any benefit to starting with MP first rather than jumping right into CP?

I'm just at the gathering info stage; haven't made any soap yet. If you want to mix the lye outside, do you need to consider the ambient temperature? Was wondering if I can do this in winter (I'm in TN so we don't have super cold winters). Seems like it would help with the cooldown but I was wondering if it would affect how well the lye mixes with the water.

I'm just trying to figure out what might go wrong ahead of time and address it now.

I've printed the tutorial and have a small soapmaking book (I thought the book would cover CP and HP but it's CP only). My main workspace would be in my walkout basement--not great ventilation there.

From a newbie standpoint, is there any benefit to starting with MP first rather than jumping right into CP?

I haven't done anything with lye yet but I do remember reading a post on here where someone mixed their lye water...I believe in the snow. It may come up on a search or others may chime in that know about this.

Yes, you can mix it outside. As soon as you add your lye to your water, it will heat up. I don't cool down my lye. I add it to my oils immediately, and let the hot lye mixture melt the oils. No need to waste the heat of the lye mixture. In my early days of soapmaking, I waited for everything to cool down, and it took too long for me.

But, to answer your question, yes you can mix it outside.

I have a window above my kitchen sink which I open when mixing lye. I mix right in the sink where I am going to mix my soap. I don't walk around with liquid lye or raw soap. If you have a vented oven hood, mix it under there if you like. I turn my head and the fumes dissipate very quickly. If I am using coffee or something other than water for the liquid, sometimes that can be slightly malodorous, but not terrible. I keep a gallon of white vinegar by the sink in case I spill some lye water or raw soap on my arms. I wear gloves and eye protection. If I do get some on my arm, I rinse with white vinegar to neutralize the lye and flush with cold water. While allowing the lye liquid to cool, I leave the pitcher in which I mix it (I mix lye with liquid in a 2 quart plastic pitcher) in the sink where a spill would not be damaging.

I have a window above my kitchen sink which I open when mixing lye. I mix right in the sink where I am going to mix my soap. I don't walk around with liquid lye or raw soap. If you have a vented oven hood, mix it under there if you like. I turn my head and the fumes dissipate very quickly. If I am using coffee or something other than water for the liquid, sometimes that can be slightly malodorous, but not terrible. I keep a gallon of white vinegar by the sink in case I spill some lye water or raw soap on my arms. I wear gloves and eye protection. If I do get some on my arm, I rinse with white vinegar to neutralize the lye and flush with cold water. While allowing the lye liquid to cool, I leave the pitcher in which I mix it (I mix lye with liquid in a 2 quart plastic pitcher) in the sink where a spill would not be damaging.

Do you find you can use any plastic pitcher or do you make sure you get a good brand name? I'm wondering due to the heat if a cheap plastic one would be alright or no. I'm still having a blast with M&P plus additives...just getting the ducks lined up for when I do try CP.

I am a brand-spanking-newbie too. I decided to try MP a few weeks ago, and did two batches. Then, I did a lot of research on this forum about CP which helped me with my first 4 batches. Thanks to all the helpful veteran members of this forum, they all went smoothly without any newbie disasters. For my first and second batch, I have mixed it outside when the temp was around 40 degrees F. There was no problem with the lye dissolving outside. I just mixed until all the lye melted which took about 2-3 minutes. I have an infrared thermometer and I monitored the temperature of both the oil and the lye mixture. I combined the two when the temp fell to about 95 F. As a newbie, I thought I should follow my soap making book's instruction and wait for the temp to cool down a bit.

Prior to doing CP, I tried MP a few times. Personally, I don't feel there's much benefit to doing MP first since the two process are very different, but that's just me.

I was wondering about the plastic too. My soapmaking book says as long as it's microwave-safe, it should be fine. Since this will be my first batch, I'll follow instructions exactly. I have a laundry sink in my basement, just no windows around it and I was concerned about how much fumes would be hanging around. I make my candles down there too. First I have to find a place around here that sells lye. This is a rural area--if walmart or our small lowe's doesn't have it, I'm out of luck.

Hi! I take mine outside to mix. I mix mine in a plastic container. I also surround it with ice in a bigger bowl to cut down on the wait time for cooling. I don't mix the lye hot as someone stated above. I really think it would gel too fast for me, but I am no expert.

I did CP first and loved it. Just give it a try. :)

I mix my lye in a stainless steel bowl with a long handled plastic spoon. It gives me enough distance from the bowl to prevent breathing fumes and I wear a mask as well. It's important to pour and stir your lye in small increments. If you pour too much at one time the lye will clump up and not dissolve. I add my tussah silk to the hot lye water and then set it aside while I get my oils ready. I use a microwave to melt my hard oils and by the time everything is in place, the lye water is just the right temp (I keep a pan of water that holds the bowl and helps to cool). HTH

When I first started making soap, I was very exact with the temp of the oils and lye water. Now, not so much. I just throw it all together. Works for me, but I've been making soap for many years. Personally, I would not want to be carrying the lye water around. The less I have to handle it, the less chance of me accidentally dropping it. I mix mine in a container sitting in the kitchen sink, so if god forbid it spills, its going to spill in the sink.

DO WEAR EYE PROTECTION

DO WEAR A MASK

and wear gloves.

I remember once, I got lax on the protective equipment and breathed in the fumes a bit. I felt like I was in danger of going into a asthma attack ....and I dont even have asthma. It was scary.

I live in So Cal and we have pretty mild winters. I mix everything outside under a big covered patio. My oils are weighed and melted in the kitchen, then I take them outside to add my lye mix and "soap" out there. When I'm done I (very carefully) bring the molds back in the kitchen and let them gel on the counter.

I've never had a problem with the temp, the lye does cool down much quicker in the winter than the summer though which is nice.

I mix mine outside in case any little beads bounce out while pouring so my pets don't eat it. I always wear eye protection when mixing and pouring to be safe then after I add to my oils I take them off. I wear cute protective glasses not goggles.

I use the cheap plastic pitchers from the dollar section to mix my lye in and they have survived so far.

in case any little beads bounce out while pouring

I had some trouble with that at first. A member at this or another forum wrote that this happens largely because of static electricity and to wipe the container with a dryer sheet to diminish this. I tried this and I am now a true believer. I rub the sheet over the outside, open the container carefully and wipe the inside of the top, carefully peel off the seal, and gently wipe the inside of the neck of the container. It has behaved for me ever since. I owe a debt of gratitude to whomever wrote that tip!! I haven't lost a granule since!!

I always open & pour lye over the sink, just in case, and move my scale to the counter right beside it so I don't have any chance of losing little grains if I mess up. HTH

I would be very hesitant to mix and move lye solution from outside to in, and equally hesitant to move freshly made soap that had not yet solidified. The tripping danger is very real. As is the danger of winds and other environmental challenges knocking over pitchers, etc.

Plastic is fine to mix in - just avoid that brittle plastic like found in dollar store measuring cups. That type of plastic will shatter over a very short amount of time. Rubbermaid, Sterilite, Tupperware, etc all seem to withstand the temperature fluctuations safely in stride.

Don't fear the lye, respect it. When cooking, do you take your chef's knife outside to cut? Probably not... You use the knife in a controlled area to minimize the risk of accidental injury.

Like many others have said, measure and mix in the sink. Keep your face away from the steam (just turning your face away as you pour the lye beads stirring as the beads hit the water can successfully prevent accidental inhalation). Fumes in the room are minimal and temporary (less than a minute) focused on the area directly above the mixing container (nobody can smell anything in my workshop even after a 200+ lb soaping day).

About the static, as Stella said, the dryer sheet trick helps. I had a particularly staticy stock of lye beads once where this trick didn't tame the jumpers.

Since then I keep my scale in the sink on top of a folded terry towel to measure out the caustic. The terry catches any little jumpers. I used to also use a damp paper towel on top of the towel, but got out of the habit when the terry towel seemed to do the trick. The towel gets tossed right into the wash with other soaping laundry at the end of the day.