I have a scent that is not popular- any suggestions?

jackbenimble

Hey guys! I have a scent that I make called wintery woods from Candle Wic. Im not sure if any of you guys have smelled this one. It's a very cool, sharp outdoor scent with a pine undertone in it. If not its similar to RE/AH Alasken Wilderness or MoonWorks winter Festival.

I have a couple of ladies that love this scent but overall it's not very popular. I happen to like it but if it's not a seller then I need to discontinue it. I need to keep the name and find another scent to replace it because my theme is a candle to represent each month and I love that concept.

Have any of you guys that make this scent or the Alasken Wilderness or WinterFestival had any problems selling it? If so what did you do to help it move? Thanks for any help as always.:-)

Each candlemaker has a different set of customers, so what sells for one chandler does not always sell for another. You just have to guess what will sell and move on from it if it doesn't. My biggest consignment shop I can't get rid of bakery scents. They opened a second location 20 minutes away and all I have sold so far is bakery...lol!

Each candlemaker has a different set of customers, so what sells for one chandler does not always sell for another. You just have to guess what will sell and move on from it if it doesn't. My biggest consignment shop I can't get rid of bakery scents. They opened a second location 20 minutes away and all I have sold so far is bakery...lol!

Yes I guess so. Oh well I have 12 of these candles and I'll just sell them until there gone. Until then I'll be looking for a replacement FO.

If you have a lot of the oil, why not try mixing in a little cranberry or twigs & berries (very small amount) just to change it enough to peak some interest? We have 2 stores about 1.5 blocks from each other and what sells in one doesn't sell in the other so I can't figure it out as far as what customers want! I just make what sells and add a new one as the suppliers disappear on us.

Sadly I run into this problem every year too. There is always one or two scents that just don't move. Seems like you can't give them away. First I try to mix it with something that compliments it or changes it completely. Berries, cinnamon spice, vanilla, pomegranate, peppermint, bayberry, apple, etc. will go with pine. So I do a Q-tip test to try something new out.

However, if I get too many of these non movers then I create the bargain bin. Every candle in the bargain bin is half off. You'd be surprised what you can sell in that bargain bin! LOL

Thank you Green! I do have a sample of that and was going to do some testing on that one soon. I have looked into cracklin birch and winter garden from NG as replacements also.

FYI: Cracklin' Birch smells great, but it smells like a men's cologne to me --- Winter Garden is very perfumey to me...something in it smells off! Just thought I'd give some input on those two for ya ;-)

Thank you Green! I do have a sample of that and was going to do some testing on that one soon. I have looked into cracklin birch and winter garden from NG as replacements also.

Ditto IwantItgreen- Peaks Winter Wonderland- Cracklin Birch is amazing also BUT for me....I cannot get it to throw strong in a candle for nothing! I still keep trying but only have it in wax melts right now. I use soy (464) so maybe you will have better luck than me if you try that one

Sadly I run into this problem every year too. There is always one or two scents that just don't move. Seems like you can't give them away. First I try to mix it with something that compliments it or changes it completely. Berries, cinnamon spice, vanilla, pomegranate, peppermint, bayberry, apple, etc. will go with pine. So I do a Q-tip test to try something new out.

However, if I get too many of these non movers then I create the bargain bin. Every candle in the bargain bin is half off. You'd be surprised what you can sell in that bargain bin! LOL

That's exactly what I do and it works like a charm! As a matter of fact I'm doing a candle party this Thursday and I have a few summer leftovers and a few "non movers" and already have them in a box marked clearance which they will all be displayed on a seperate table marked for clearance and every time I do a party most of that stuff goes pretty quick. It's kinda funny how they all of a sudden like that scent better than before because it's 50% off LOL

It might just be because it's still a little early in the season for winter fragrances to become popular. But then again, maybe not. I would suggest a name change first, then perhaps making a new blend. Do you have another similar-themed scent that sells really well? What makes it popular? a specific note. Sometimes scents need a rather odd-ball FO to ground them and make them truly unique. How would it smell with a little "hazelnut" thrown in? or "lime"?

Edited by rctfavr3

From what I have made I'll do a half off on those but for future candles in this scent I'm going to try and blend it with something. I thing a nice tart berry scent would go well with this.

Oh and if you guys buy from CW you should get a sample of the wintery woods to try sometime.

Well I found a sample of the winter festival from moon works and it has alot of complementary FO notes including some a tart berry notes as well. I did a q-tip test and the winter festival really mellows it out and I actually like it better than I did before. So I just ordered some from MoonWorks and also their sugar cookie royal and absinthe.

I only sell that kind of scent at Christmas. I add a little bit of the pine to cranberry. I also do a Orange Pine that is awesome. They seem to buy these in these in the colder season. Hope this helps. I personally like KYs Christmas Past. It smells just like a Christmas tree with a little fruit and other smells. It throws all over one of customers stores. Incredible scent and asked for over and over. Rustic Essentials is carrying it now.