Diference between soap and shampoo bar

Greetings,

Guys what sets a shampoo bar apart from a soap bar? I know there's the difference in the oils some people like to add castor and jojoba to it. But How much superfat do you use on a shampoo bar to make extra mild for hair. I am interested as I have customers that want some of them and I also have just arrived to the conclusion that no store bought shampoo will work for me ever! Christ talk about frizzy hair, now that it's longer it's more noticeable So HELP!

So any tips guys I appreciate!

Dan

Dan

What is "syndet"? Why is it better than soap? If soap is rinsed from the hair, what is the difference? Seriously - I am trying to understand this...

A syndet typically is formulated to a much lower pH than soap. they are typically formulated to provide very gentle cleansing action using surfactants and leave the hair cuticle smooth, soft and shiny.

Soap, with a cured pH at somewhere around 9-10, will raise the cuticle causing the hair shaft to tangle, snarl and leave it vulnerable to breakage. It can also remove color deposited from chemical color treatments since the molecules of color are simply suspended between the chemically raised cells of hair cuticle. Use of soap often requires an acid rinse to return the cuticle to its prior non-raised state. Personally, I strongly disliked the acid rinse process, feeling and smell of the apple cider vinegar rinses and prefer to save the vinegar for my salads. For some people it feels just fine.

I have used both and greatly prefer syndets over and CP/HP soap I have made and used. My hair used to break and split with CP and most commercial cleansers. With syndets my hair 'seems' to grow very quickly since it's not all breaking off. I have get great wet and dry comb even without conditioner.

Let me know if you'd like to give one a try. I'll drop a sample set in the mail to you.

I did some Googling (is anyone surprised?) and found these links about syndets (synthetic detergents).

HTH

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ro-Sp/Soaps-and-Detergents.html

http://www.chemistry.co.nz/introduction.htm

TallTayl, thanks for the info about how soap & syndets affect hair... makes sense...

Edited by Stella1952

[hijack to original thread]

Keeping in mind about detergents, not all are created equal. Many people equate "detergent" with harsh things to avoid personal contact with. You wouldn't wash your hair with Tide detergent for instance, so many think detergents must be 'bad'. Some common detergents used in beauty applications include SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), SLeS (sodium laureth sulfate), SCS (sodium coco sulfate) and several other derivatives.

Those mentioned are common, inexpensive, and easily formulated into different applications from hair care to industrial cleaning.

Less frequently used 'detergents' that are more expensive and more difficult to use commercially but are wonderful for personal care include SCI (sodium cocoyl isethionate), SLSa (sodium lauryl sulfoacetate) and DLSS (disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate). Because the chemical names are so close to the 'bad' ones people think all detergents are created equal.

Just like with soap making, various combinations of additives and formulas make syndets of varying quality that may or may not work very well for your texture hair. Don't fret about the word "detergent". Look at which detergent(s) and the combination of other ingredients.

[/hijack]

All that being said, many soap formulations in hard water (even if softened) can't rinse completely from the hair shaft leaving the stickiness and raised cuticle that many people describe as haystack hair or tangly.

The advantage of syndets is that they tend to leave little to no residue so hair is left cleaner and lighter. Well made syndets don't strip the hair. They clean gently using surfactants with larger molecular structure.

IME men with shorter hair don't tend to notice or care about the residue from soap. Women with longer hair that use styling product experience buildup that requires "clarifying" periodically to remove all the chemical stuff that doesn't wash out with soaps to regain 'body' and 'volume' to their weighted hair.

To each his own. I'd not use soap in my hair again unless the world stopped providing gentle, wonderful vegetable based alternatives.

This is SO interesting! I have naturally curly and semi-coarse hair that goes the middle of my back. It is quite the ordeal to wash it as it being curly, it tangles. So I have to wash, then slather with conditioner and comb it in the shower to detangle. If I were to wait until I got out of the shower to comb it would be a disaster. My daughter is biracial - so she has the same hair as I do but a bit coarser and SO THICK! I have so much trouble getting our hair to behave, I wonder if these shampoo bars/products with syndets or what have you might make this a bit easier.

I would be interested in hearing from those that produce them so I could purchase and try them our, as I am not taking on ANY new product creation ventures LOL.

I think they would help with combing it, I have super curly long hair and what I call the dead zone in the back of my head, it mats and tangles like crazy. I don't have to comb my hair if I don't want to using the solid products, my hair is tangle free after I dry it with the towel. I am totally sold on the solid products, I have been fighting with my hair for more years than I care to count, it has never been so well behaved as it is using these products. The real bonus is I don't have to wash it as often, unless I use spray or gels in it my dh who has oily hair has found the same thing. It cleans so well without stripping the hair. just my 2 cents.

One of the biggest bonuses imho is that there is no waste with the solid products, and less packaging to dispose of. I don't mean to sound like a commercial but I sure do love the solid hair care products.

I find this fascinating because I have long, straight non-tangling hair. One size DEFINITELY does not fit all, when it comes to hair. I appreciated reading about the actual difference between soap & syndets as well as the different effects they have on hair. Thanks for all the great info - I may have to try some solid products because I really enjoy the concept of no bottles all around my tub.

If I could kinda slip in here, shampoo bars usually have a higher percentage of castor and tend to be soft. This is what I picked up when first trying recipes on different sites that were labeled as "shampoo bars". Melt and pour are syndet based but some brands claim to use natural non-drying ingredients that won't offend the "all natural" crowd. So if you are wondering what's the difference; it would be a recipe with a really high bubbly/creamy numbers combined that gives the appearance of shampoo in a soap bar that you can use all over the head and body. IMHO

Steve

I find this fascinating because I have long, straight non-tangling hair. .

You need the Tangle Teezer http://www.tangleteezer.com/ My daughter has naturally/curly/wavy hair and has major tangle issues until I found this brush. Her hair does not get frizzy after brushing as it would with a regular brush. It acutally is shiny and smooth too.

I have not used a soap poo bar but have the syndet bars and really like them. I am still working on making them great but I do like them.

Edited by TexasBrat

• 3 months later...

This is pretty serendipitous. Just last night I was searching for info about shampoo bars and stumbled on Swift's blog. I color my hair with henna and cassia and have been using baking soda for shampoo and apple cider vinegar to rinse. I went searching for something I could scent. I miss my Clairol Herbal Essence. :laugh2:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2011/01/shampoo-bars-long-hair.html

If you look on the right side of her blog she has an E-Book section with 4 books she has put together for sale. The proceeds are actually donated to a youth group. One of the books is on Shampoos and Conditioners. Jam packed book with lots of info on surfacants, humectants, and how shampoo, conditioners and the ingredients work together. There is also a lot of recipes including shampoo and conditioning bars. I bought it last week and think it is worth the cost. She has a link to browse the table of contents to get an idea of what the book covers.

Moonshadow, if you are talking about the original Clairol Herbal Essence from back in the day, I'm with you! That was my favorite. :cheesy2:

If you look on the right side of her blog she has an E-Book section with 4 books she has put together for sale. The proceeds are actually donated to a youth group. One of the books is on Shampoos and Conditioners. Jam packed book with lots of info on surfacants, humectants, and how shampoo, conditioners and the ingredients work together. There is also a lot of recipes including shampoo and conditioning bars. I bought it last week and think it is worth the cost. She has a link to browse the table of contents to get an idea of what the book covers.

Moonshadow, if you are talking about the original Clairol Herbal Essence from back in the day, I'm with you! That was my favorite. :cheesy2:

That's what I was talking about. That wasn't just shampoo, it was almost a religious experience! :wink2:

I would never, ever use natural soap of any kind in a shampoo, others (above) have already pointed out why.

For a while I have been researching dual-purpose shower creams - these are great for washing and for shampoo too. There is a lot of difference between 'premium' shampoo surfactants and the common ones used in most commercial shampoos such as sodium laurel sulfate.

If you want a shampoo that's really great for the hair try sodium lauroamphoacetate or sodium cocoamphoacetate, laurel betaine, a dash of cocamide MEA, and a dash of Glossamer L-6600 adds shine, bounce, volumising. I won't say much more because I am producing something to beat commercial products, hopefully, and I am not through formulation experiments yet.

This is pretty serendipitous. Just last night I was searching for info about shampoo bars and stumbled on Swift's blog. I color my hair with henna and cassia and have been using baking soda for shampoo and apple cider vinegar to rinse. I went searching for something I could scent. I miss my Clairol Herbal Essence. :laugh2:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2011/01/shampoo-bars-long-hair.html

Thanks for the link!