Price Of Ink

lsbennis

I know ink is expensive for the printers but seriously I just had to pay a small fortune today to replace my Yellow, Cyan and Magenta for my laser printer, thank goodness the black is ok. :shocked2:

Why does it all run out at once and why is it so expensive? I have an HP Color Laser and I know the ink will last a while but I still see no reason for it to be so expensive! *shudder*

Silly isn't it?

The inks for my printer are $15-$17 each from a retail shop, which is a real slug when you have to replace 4 at once.

I get mine from Ebay though. I get 12 (3 of each colour) in a generic brand for around $30 with post.

They are cheaper again from Hong Kong, but I pay extra for ones here in Australia so I don't have to wait so long for them to be delivered.

Silly isn't it?

The inks for my printer are $15-$17 each from a retail shop, which is a real slug when you have to replace 4 at once.

I get mine from Ebay though. I get 12 (3 of each colour) in a generic brand for around $30 with post.

They are cheaper again from Hong Kong, but I pay extra for ones here in Australia so I don't have to wait so long for them to be delivered.

Jamie, is that for a laser or ink jet, because if it is a laser then I want to know which one and I'm going right out to get it, because my replacement ink cartridges are $71 .88 each from Office Depot and my printer takes 4 cartridges!

I was told it would have cost our first child for inks for our Brother printer. They can't have our first child because we don't have one lol, but the cost is quite ... well ... up there. Fortunately there's a slight break if you can buy the three packs.

Edited by Scented

have you tried refilling your cartridges yourself ? It can be a pain but it is a whole lot cheaper. Also I have noticed and read the the cheaper the printer the more expensive the cartridges are and visa versa . Guess that makes sense, you sell the printer cheap and make it up on the ink ....

Hey Palm Beach, My fellow Floridian!! I hear you on the ink but I tell you what I found...I have a Brother Laser Printer and went to Amazon.com and literally bought the ink at half price (41 dollars) from what I usually pay at Staples which is the same amount as your Office Depot price. I got 2 colors and they worked great and lasted forever just like the ones from the supply store! Hope that helps for the future.

Printers are cheap, ink and toner are the money makers. sad, but true

I would be cautious about refilling the cartridges. You can only do that so many times and then they leak all over the printer and you have to buy a new printer. And newer printers have more expensive cartridges. Ask me how I know. :whistle:

@CandyinVa...thanks I guess I never thought of that, that is a big difference.

@darrel...No I never tried to refill. I guess I thought you couldn't do that with laser cartridges, isn't it more of a powder?

@luinousglow...always glad to meet a fellow Floridian, what part of the state are you in? More great advice, half price works for me, next time and I hope it will be a long time before I need to get more ink I'm definitley going to search around. I needed the ink right away today, have a show on Sunday and needed labels, no time to ship.

I hear ya. I get the high yield ones and it is $110 a pop for mine....BUT I only change them about once a year and I do ALOT of printing (for 2 businesses). I've learned to pick one cartridge up each quarter so I am not getting hit all at once with them.

My dad tried refilling his cartridges at one point; but discovered he didn't get as many uses out of them.

I get pretty good usuage out of my canon pixma. I am estimating .07 per label (the ink alone) right now. I run that sucker a long time after it tells me to change the cartridge!

My dad tried refilling his cartridges at one point; but discovered he didn't get as many uses out of them.

I get pretty good usuage out of my canon pixma. I am estimating .07 per label (the ink alone) right now. I run that sucker a long time after it tells me to change the cartridge!

Agree that the Pixma is a great ink stretcher. I have one that I now use as my back up; Jeff has a fancier HP that has an amazing fast draft capacity for my college stuff. I do a ton of printing for school, because it is so much easier/old school for me to edit on paper. So I use the HP now and just upgrade the quality of print; good results at a comparable cost with the Canon. I really want a top of the line laser printer, but Jeff said he's paying off the G6 and buying me a used late model SUV, so I'm going to stay off the naughty list and not have Santa deliver a fancy laser printer as planned.

I have a Samsung laser too and the cartridges are very expensive ($130) now it has a problem with the roller I think cause it crinkles up the paper when it goes through. I can't find anyone to fix it around here so there it sits! $650 down the drain!

Edited by Dana

My dad has a b/w laser printer he bought at a garage sale for $100. It worked great for a while. Now it thinks there is paper stuck inside. Dad has taken it apart and found nothing. So it sits there also! He mentioned the other day he needs to see if it can be fixed.

Me...I want a color laser printer. :)

Guess I should really pay attention and read the detail of the post :) I didn't even realize you were talking about a "laser" printer.

@CandyinVa...thanks I guess I never thought of that, that is a big difference.

@darrel...No I never tried to refill. I guess I thought you couldn't do that with laser cartridges, isn't it more of a powder?

@luinousglow...always glad to meet a fellow Floridian, what part of the state are you in? More great advice, half price works for me, next time and I hope it will be a long time before I need to get more ink I'm definitley going to search around. I needed the ink right away today, have a show on Sunday and needed labels, no time to ship.

Toner for a laser will be more expensive. It will also last a lot longer than ink. I would never use any refills for either inkjet or laser printers. I have seen too many printers trashed by leaking refills or poor quality ink and toner. And yes, Amazon offers great prices for ink. One way to save money if you have space is to have two printers- a Black and White laser and the color. Only print color when you really need it. I also agree on the Canon Pixma printers-very miserly with ink and less expensive than some other inkjets.

• 2 weeks later...