Wick question

Maybe this is stupid or a newbie question. Does it matter where you purchase wicks from? I am asking because I needed some material from another supplier and also was low on wicks so why not just order them and save on shipping. If I have been using CD10'S from one supplier all along but now purchase CD10's from another supplier will they be the same or did I just cause myself problems?

Mike

Actually no......you should always buy your wicks from the same supplier, as there could be a big difference. An example: I always buy all my wicks from Candlewic, as I can purchase them in any length I want. In a pinch I bought a bag of LX10 wicks from Bitter Creek and they didn't burn the way my Candlewic's did, they drowned out. Very valuable lesson learned!!

Hmmm.. That is weird. I wonder if it depends on the wick?? I use cd's and I havent had issues with the ones from Candlewic, TN Candles or NG.. Maybe I have just gotten severly lucky with just using the same suppliers for these?? Normally then come from Candlewic as this is where I get my wax..

If you buy raw wicks, off a spool or roll, they all come from one manufacturer. For example, only Wedo makes ECO wicks. Only Heinz makes the CD's. So it doesn't matter who you buy the raw wicks from. The seller is only the distributor (unless you buy in bulk from the mfgr.)

As for the pre-tabbed and primed wicks, that's a whole different story. Not every re-seller primes the wicks the same. Some prime with low MP wax, some with high MP wax, some with microcrystaline wax, some just coat the outer fibers with the primer and some soak the wick until the core is fully primed.

I prime my own, so I don't have to add primer as a variable in candle testing.

So the two above answers are correct. Both no and yes to your question. No if you are buying raw wicks, yes if you are buying pre-tabbed/primed wicks.

On rare occasion you may find some rolls that were not stored well (rain or smoke or dust damage, etc) and all bets are off when that happens (be careful about ebay, etc). Candlewic is a good place to buy rolls. Peaks and Lonestar also sell raw wicks.

Edited by EricofAZ

Here is a suggestion for the future, search for an alternative supplier of wicks that perform as well as your main supplier, then in the situation where you need a backup supplier you have now already identified one that has wicks that meet your needs.

The wick itself is the same but the wick wax applied to it can make a big difference. It's not only the wick wax but how well it penetrates into the raw wicking, how thick of a coating it gets, etc., so it is really best to stick with the same supplier whenever possible. It is wise to test CDs from several sources and pick one as a backup whose CDs are the most similar to the ones you buy from your favorite supplier.

I've noticed a big difference between the ECO wicks at BCN and CS as well. I agree with the above poster about trying them from a few different suppliers when you have time to do the testing to identify what works for your application so you know where to go in a pinch.

I've noticed a big difference between the ECO wicks at BCN and CS as well. I agree with the above poster about trying them from a few different suppliers when you have time to do the testing to identify what works for your application so you know where to go in a pinch.

What difference did you notice, if I may ask? Did one burn hotter, or drown out quicker?