First attempt at Cut and Curl

jackie

I think it's a pretty good job for a first and I commend you on that. What makes the wax look not so smooth? I haven't tried these. Would love to some day, but that's when I own space the size of the Grand Canyon lol. Am curious those about what causes the wax not to look as smooth.

I think it's a pretty good job for a first and I commend you on that. What makes the wax look not so smooth? I haven't tried these. Would love to some day, but that's when I own space the size of the Grand Canyon lol. Am curious those about what causes the wax not to look as smooth.

If you put lots of coats of wax on the candles they will be lumpy like that or it could be water drops that didn't drip off before the next coat was put on. You wouldn't have even noticed the lumps if the carving was all the way up to the top. Probably got a bit too hard to finish but that's normal starting out. After about 100 candles there's nothing to it. 34 years ago this month I started making them for a living.

Always keep your first candle of any new thing you make. Looks like you have a good start.

Bruce

Not bad Jackie, I've been meaning to try this, and I know when I get around to it my firsts will probably not look as good as these.

If you put lots of coats of wax on the candles they will be lumpy like that or it could be water drops that didn't drip off before the next coat was put on. You wouldn't have even noticed the lumps if the carving was all the way up to the top. Probably got a bit too hard to finish but that's normal starting out. After about 100 candles there's nothing to it. 34 years ago this month I started making them for a living.

Always keep your first candle of any new thing you make. Looks like you have a good start.

Bruce

Hey, I've seen you on YouTube. 100 candles huh? Do you think you could learn with 100 lbs of wax? Could you re-melt them if they aren't highly colored? I want to try these and I think I can do it, and I think it would be fun but the $ is stopping me right now but I think 100 lbs would be ok.

Bruce

MIssed seeing you around!! OK that makes sense to me. And happy 34th!

Hey, I've seen you on YouTube. 100 candles huh? Do you think you could learn with 100 lbs of wax? Could you re-melt them if they aren't highly colored? I want to try these and I think I can do it, and I think it would be fun but the $ is stopping me right now but I think 100 lbs would be ok.

Sure you can. You can find some small core molds at Peaks I think. My finished small candle is less than a half pound. If you just dip in clear wax to get use to the way the wax will cut you dont need any color, or just use one color and white. Melt that down and use it for cores and it will be a pastel of that color. Cores can be poured from your scrap wax. If you have lots of scrap the colors will blend together to make brown. The white pigment in the wax makes the brown look like a wood grain in the cores poured from scrap wax. Bruce