I Need A Mold!

chuck_35550

When they came out everyone loved them!! (Silver Moon that is)

Don't ask for a suggestion from me as I like to spend money and will always send people to soaphutch ... which last I knew did not have silver linings (ok silicone lol) but God I love the molds!

Edited by Scented

Steve I have both Upland and Silvermoon I love my Silvermoons the dimensions are 10 1/2 X 7 1/2 by 2 inches deep it is a 9 bar mold and hold 40 ounces of oils.

I also have a 2 lb log mold from Silvermoon that is 9 X 3 1/2 inches by 2 3/5 deep. I love my Silvermoons

When they came out everyone loved them!! (Silver Moon that is)

Don't ask for a suggestion from me as I like to spend money and will always send people to soaphutch ... which last I knew did not have silver linings (ok silicone lol) but God I love the molds!

I've not made any soap yet but I'm getting ready. Just went to check out Silver Moon and all I found was silicone inserts. Is that right? So then, I would buy the wood mold elsewhere and get the silicone liner to fit the wood mold?

At Soaphutch do you recommend the clear ones or the white HDTP (or whatever it is) type?

I might be putting the cart before the horse but if I don't like the mold I purchased that was inexpensive, still in the box and not any particular brand name, I was looking for options.

I just know once I start this it is going to be another immediate addiction and if I have low level quality mold I'm going to want to order a good one right away.

At Soaphutch do you recommend the clear ones or the white HDTP (or whatever it is) type?

What do you want to make? Logs or slabs? With Soaphutch you can make both. A few people have had success with the clear molds (that was years ago when I knew people who had them) but all I have is the HDPE and I love them. He has a mondo one that you can do slabs and/or logs. That's what I love about the versatility with his molds.

What do you want to make? Logs or slabs? With Soaphutch you can make both. A few people have had success with the clear molds (that was years ago when I knew people who had them) but all I have is the HDPE and I love them. He has a mondo one that you can do slabs and/or logs. That's what I love about the versatility with his molds.

I want to make loafs. I'm all confused with only being able to find silicone liners at the one place. I took a liking to the HDPE ones at Soaphutch. They look to be a little more involved than the silicone ones but they did catch my eye probably b/c they look very durable.

Does the HDPE have to be lined? Isn't that the site where they showed three different M&P soaps in the same mold with dividers? I don't remember seeing any parchment paper being used but I could have very well missed it.

I picked up several butters so far that seem to be common to most recipes I've saved. I need colors, lye and a few oils. I found me a lye mixer person. Didn't have to look too far but I was waiting for the offer :wink2:

Like with all HDPE you have to season it several times before you don't have to do so any more. The 25 lb mold came with a liner. When I didn't put mineral oil on it, I had trouble getting the liner off. When I did, it was much easier. Then I just started using the MO on the sides and wrapping the liner in freezer paper. I am a real impatient sort of person when it comes to soap molds so when I want to use the mold again and couldn't, I went to the freezer paper liner.

I am wanting to go to the clear ones next though. I simply have to have one so I'm saving up for it.

If you go with Rich, ask him what he suggests. He's really an honest person and does some soapmaking himself.

Edited by Scented

Irena uses the acryllic molds from Soaphutch and Rich gave me an estimate some time back on a slab/log mold. They are really incredible molds and well worth the investment. I may look up my estimate and bite the bullet; although the Silvermoons looks like great molds. 8Granones, did you say the service was really good with Silvermoon?

Steve

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/ Just hit the youtube icon on the site and several videos come up. There is a demonstration video on site. HTH

Steve

I didn't find the youtube video yet but is that ever a nice site. Now that I see how a slab mold works, I might want to go with one of those. I was going with a loaf b/c I thought I wanted to be able to cut straight, with the wavy cutter and rustic type looks. This slab mold shows so many things one can do with the flat side of the bar upward tho'.

These are expensive or maybe all quality soap molds are as well? The one I bought (still in box) was no where near that much. I'll have to save up for any of these nice ones with buying candle stuff so often but in the meantime it might be good I'm starting out with a cheapie until I gain more experience.

According to the web site, they are being flooded with orders for the molds and are taking several weeks to fill orders. I think silicone lined or acrylic molds are more expensive but the costs on most all of them seem about average. I was intrigued by the wooden pushers that are used against the bottom insert to get the soap out. I like the fact that you can observe some of your swirl through the clear acrylic. Haven't made up my mind yet, may buy one of each and put myself out of business. LOL

Steve

LOL! I'll wait for you to get one :D Hate me now! I'm thinking I'll be asking for one for Christmas and maybe the next 10 Christmases since I want a Soap Hutch multi log vertical acrylic and that has to cost some cash right?

I want to see a nonvendor's photo of the soap working and I want to be sure that the fragrances or essentials used in it won't ruin the surface. It's a lot of cash to drop (regardless if they are $20 to $1,000) only to be able to use like twice KWIM?

Edited by Scented

There are a couple of non-vendor vids on youtube and the molds look like they hold up well. I'm still sitting on the fence but there ain't no way I can afford a Soaphutch acrylic. I don't want no more molds that hold onto sticky soap and screw up the sides. Its down to Soap Makers Resource and Silvermoon. I've learned to listen to Babs but somewhere deep down the devil is saying, "go for it". lol

Wish Irena would come on and talk about that clear acrylic though. I can't stop wanting one lol. And I do like SH molds. I keep thinking I might want a silicone one, but then I'll be the one who tears it after its third or fourth use.

Edited by Scented

The clear acrylic molds work well for me. I have a separate soaping fridge and the molds go in the freezer there; up to overnight. The next day I run very warm water over the outside and use the pusher provided to get the soap out. When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics of the mold with the pusher.