Clamshell Pouring Help

Soleil

Well, I am definitely new to this forum (Hi!) and an extreme newb at candle making. I've been making clamshell tarts for myself for a while now, but my parents think I should start trying to sell them...here in lies the problem.

Mine look horrid. I cannot figure out a good way to pour the wax into the clamshells to where it doesn't drip or run over into the lid. Every single time I pour I mess them up. I've tried pouring from the pot (original idea, failed miserably), I've poured from a plastic cup (my father's idea.. semi-fail) and my most recent attempt was with a small measuring cup. It worked... okay but the wax still runs down the side and drips making the clamshell look messy and just.. bad.

How do you pour into clamshells? I really need some advice here so mine don't look so horrible.

Everything else works okay, though I think I may change my wax to the 75% votive/25% container blend that I see everyone talking about. Right now it's just votive because that's all I have. Though these are just for me until I learn some more.. lol

I use a 16oz glass measuring cup and fill it to 12 oz. Pour 5 at a time. i think if you switch to the blend you will find that if you do get some outside of the mold you can clean it very easily with a paper towel. You get better with practice.

I use a small pour pot (2 lb.) and always keep a sheet of Bounty in my left hand; after every clam wipe the lip of the pour pot. You didn't say what type of wax you use, but if it is a soy blend, you tend to pour cooler...the napkin wipe keeps the thick mess off the end. HTH. For smaller molds than a clamshell, I use a plastic measuring cup with a pointy spout, but you have to be on your game and stir constantly to pull it off successfully.

I use a small pour pot (2 lb.) and always keep a sheet of Bounty in my left hand; after every clam wipe the lip of the pour pot. You didn't say what type of wax you use, but if it is a soy blend, you tend to pour cooler...the napkin wipe keeps the thick mess off the end. HTH. For smaller molds than a clamshell, I use a plastic measuring cup with a pointy spout, but you have to be on your game and stir constantly to pull it off successfully.

I use paraffin wax, but I may start experimenting with soy later on after I learn to not spill/drip the wax on everything!

I guess I will just keep practicing.... at least with the "screw ups" they are still usable and I can give them to friends/family for gifts! LOL

Thanks for the advice, I need to check the size of my pouring pot... I'm fairly certain that it is the 2 lb one so I may start using it again.

I use a larger pour pot with only a little wax at a time to avoid spills plus I have the paper towel handy also! You can scrape the wax of the clamshell containers with your fingernail it comes right off.

I have scraped it off, but do you have any advice on how to get the.. film off of the plastic? After I scrape it off it leaves a dingy spot where it was, and I can't get it to go away!

I have scraped it off, but do you have any advice on how to get the.. film off of the plastic? After I scrape it off it leaves a dingy spot where it was, and I can't get it to go away!

I just take a paper towel or cloth and wipe it clean. I also use soy so it may be easier to wipe off than paraffin. HTH:-)

I think I did better today! I used my little measuring cup and I still dripped on a few but my success rate was much higher than last night. I only screwed up 3 of the 11 I made! =D

I will try the paper towel again on getting the film off. Do you wet the paper towel at all, or would that be counter-productive since it would be cold water on warm wax?

I use a toothpick to pop off the dried drips .. then a paper towel to clean off the smear that's left. And no I don't wet the paper towel. I've found that no matter what I do I'm gonna drip some somewhere so I just clean it up after it dries and move on to the next batch.

Jo

I struggled with the same thing at first...it is difficult to see the tops of those clamshells. Now I use a very good light and something similar to this:http://www.fonduepots.com/fondue-pots/electric-fondue-pots/chocolatiereelectricchocolatemeltingpot.cfm

You can find them a lot cheaper than this one...Mine is blue and only cost 9.99 but it is worth its weight in ...clamshells ! Set it on low, take the pot and fill it from your Presto , make sure it's cool enough to pour into the clamshells. The only time I get a spill now is if I get distracted ... HTH

I struggled with the same thing at first...it is difficult to see the tops of those clamshells. Now I use a very good light and something similar to this:http://www.fonduepots.com/fondue-pots/electric-fondue-pots/chocolatiereelectricchocolatemeltingpot.cfm

You can find them a lot cheaper than this one...Mine is blue and only cost 9.99 but it is worth its weight in ...clamshells ! Set it on low, take the pot and fill it from your Presto , make sure it's cool enough to pour into the clamshells. The only time I get a spill now is if I get distracted ... HTH

Wow that is a really neat idea!

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that has had this spilling problem. I was excited that I only messed up a few of the ones I made today, not my usual half of them messed up!

I pour them about 3/4 full on the first pass using a 9oz solo cup. Then I squat down eye level with the tops and pour to the top. It takes a while to learn the last drop that the clamshell will hold and when the next drop will overflow and I do keep a pipette handy in case I need to suck out a bit quick. To clean up any rough edges try a kleenex. It cleans the container totally clean.

• 11 years later...

I'm also a newbie, started pouring melts and I love doing it. I have learned that using a wooden screwers to stir, then leave it in as you pour, it prevents splashing. Also don't fill all the way when you get to your last one go threw and top the rest off, there's less in kettle to manage. I watch the furthest corner of the mold and when it reaches the line I go to next till I get to the topping off stage. Another idea is to use silicone molds, the the spillage doesn't matter, keep the broken pieces for yourself, or just make up bags of them. I am doing both clamshells and molds  . I really enjoy the molds and the bags are fairly cheap to fill with molds . Anyways, just wanted to share what I have learned. Good luck in all you do 

Edited by firefly69
  • Like 2

I'm also a newbie, started pouring melts and I love doing it. I have learned that using a wooden screwers to stir, then leave it in as you pour, it prevents splashing. Also don't fill all the way when you get to your last one for threw and too the rest of, less in kettle to manage. I watch the furthest corder of the mold and when it reaches the line I go to next till I get to the topping off stage. Another idea is to use silicone molds, the the spillage doesn't matter, keep the broken pieces for yourself, or just make up bags of them. I am doing both clamshells and molds  . I really enjoy the molds and the bags are fairly cheap to fill with molds . Anyways, just wanted to share what I have learned. Good luck in all you do 

• 3 weeks later...