Will the REAL Salsa jar please stand up?

I know the mayo looking jar you are referring to and its definitely not a salsa jar. Neither is a jelly jar.

The pic chuck posted is a salsa jar. But it comes in more than one size and is also called a straight sided jar. It can have a CT or Lug lid fitting. Whichever you prefer to use. I prefer the lug jars. I get mine at Fillmore Containers.

Edited by Candybee

Lots of the brands of salsa I have bought were jarred in the pint-sized mayo-style jars - real pita to get a chip in... but I prefer to pour it out of the jar into a dish anyway. The squat style salsa jars are used so that one can heat the salsa in a microwave and just dip the chip right on in there - Frito-Lay's queso dip and salsa come to mind... I think that is what's causing the confusion... To me, the true salsa jar is the squat one that will accept a Dorito or tortilla chip, but if someone offers me homemade salsa in a mayo jar, I'm not turnin' it down ROTFLMAO

I really like those jars. Do you heat the plastisol lids to form an airtight seal or not? How many do you have to order to get free shipping?

You want an air tight seal for food products. Not necessary for candles. For foods and canning they have a special heat seal "button" lid that can be sealed with heat. Also, when you break the seal by opening the jar the 'button' pops up showing that the seal is broken.

Also, I'm wondering how customers feel about looking at the glass threads at the top of the jar? Would they rather have a jar with no threads at the top?

Been using this jar for the past 3 years and never had any comments about the glass threads. It is a screw on lid after all so why would a customer comment on the threads? I don't think the threads take away from the jars looks. Its a pretty jar and so far since I switched to them my candle sales have picked up.

Been using this jar for the past 3 years and never had any comments about the glass threads. It is a screw on lid after all so why would a customer comment on the threads? I don't think the threads take away from the jars looks. Its a pretty jar and so far since I switched to them my candle sales have picked up.

I think the jar looks cute with the lid on, but screw threads look tacky to me in the light; however, when the lights are dim or dark and the candle is burning, the threads are very pretty when they reflect the candlelight. A local chandler recently switched to those jars when her wholesale accounts requested a more contemporary look, and she uses the black lids, and I think they look sharp!

Hi Jluper,

I switched from the keepsake jar to the salsa jar a few years ago and it is my primary candle jar that I sell to shops. I use the 16oz. It's extremely easy to wick and just about every candle company out there offers them and with the black lids too. I do them in the black lids and a rust lid that I spray to give it a different look.

The labeling is very easy to do also.

I order primarily from Fillmore

You can also order from Candle Science, Lone Star, Alabaster (they have them in the black lids too) and so many other companies too. I don't like the gold lids myself as I think they are too cheap and cheezy looking. The black lids are very smart looking and you don't heat the lids for an airtight seal...just screw the lids on. As Horsescents said and others, I don't believe that the customer cares that the candle has threads on the neck of the jar. All they want is a nice burning candle. And like she said also when you have the candle burning in the subdued light the rim of the jar is pretty looking with the glistening neck showing the threads. Geesh, I never thought about it till I looked at my picture. She's right!

Here are a few pictures of my salsa jars and the way I do them up. These particular ones are in 2 different stores that are prim so the label I designed reflects that theme with the torn edges. I don't think they look tacky with the threads showing.

Here is the jar with the lid I sprayed in a textured rust.

Salsajar-2.jpg

Done for another store:

CIMG0501.jpg

Done for another store with a black lid and round label and twine around the

neck.

CIMG6807.jpg

And here is the jar lit with the threads showing:

salsa2.jpg

Trappeur

Trappeur, I am so in awe of the beauty of your jars! Very very impressive! Thanks for sharing those pics. I love the torn labels! Do you have to tear the edges of each one? I don't see how a printer could make them look like that. And your textured rust looks awesome! Lots of depth. I was thinking of spraying a silvery pewter look myself. I was wanting to ask if anyone here spray-paints their lids, but kept forgetting to post that question.

Hi Horsescents,

Why thankyou so much for the compliment! And thanks for letting me share them. Those torn labels? lol, lol....

Paper grocery bags that I cut with a sizzor the size of a sheet of paper and put in my printer and print out on.....I just can't afford beautiful labels like everyone else has done or creates themselves. After I print out about 6 things on them, I tear them out, then dip in my coffee or tea left in the coffeepot and put cinnamon in the pot, put in my little cooktop toaster and bake for a few minutes till they dry and then I modge podge to the jar...That's the cheap way out....Actually the only way I could figure out how to make them. But the more simpler way would be to buy Kraft paper sheets and print out on them....I need to do that myself! lol

A silvery pewter would be beautiful Horsescents. I believe the salsa jars come generally in the gold and I think they come in silver too. You could order the silver and use that for the base color if you are going to spray a pewter look.

That would be beautiful!

Thanks again!

Trapp:smiley2:

I changed my mind, they do look good!

lol, lol......You know when I first got that jar, I didn't like the looks of the jars especially with the gold lids that came with them...but just changing the color of the lid does make a big difference with a nice label on it....I have always gone for presentation myself. I believe that can make or break a sale.

If you order from Fillmore, they don't have a jar called "salsa" like most of the companies out there. But it is their straight wall jar that they have listed on their site. But be careful when you order them as there are 2 straight wall jars in the 16oz. You want to order the one that uses the #82 lug lid.

Trappeur

Hi Horsescents,

Why thankyou so much for the compliment! And thanks for letting me share them. Those torn labels? lol, lol....

Paper grocery bags that I cut with a sizzor the size of a sheet of paper and put in my printer and print out on.....I just can't afford beautiful labels like everyone else has done or creates themselves. After I print out about 6 things on them, I tear them out, then dip in my coffee or tea left in the coffeepot and put cinnamon in the pot, put in my little cooktop toaster and bake for a few minutes till they dry and then I modge podge to the jar...That's the cheap way out....Actually the only way I could figure out how to make them. But the more simpler way would be to buy Kraft paper sheets and print out on them....I need to do that myself! lol

A silvery pewter would be beautiful Horsescents. I believe the salsa jars come generally in the gold and I think they come in silver too. You could order the silver and use that for the base color if you are going to spray a pewter look.

That would be beautiful!

Thanks again!

Trapp:smiley2:

Wow! I loooooove your label technique! It's bloody brilliant! Thanks for sharing that.

I'm going to try spray painting some lids, and I was even thinking of trying some groovy metallic colors from the auto supply store.

The problem with the 12 oz salsa began last year when the main mfg discontinued that size. SKS will ship for free on about 25 cases of jars. You choose bulk and then hit the add on button to bring up the lids. The lids are sold in lots of 72 (6 cases) the lids are $19.44 and the jars are $36.00 for a total of $55.44 or .77 cents per jar. Free shipping would be applied at about 30 cases or so. That's a nice deal and you can always co-op with someone for half the jars if you don't need that many. My small business can float on one order for most of the year and they deliver them to your doorstep. HTH

Steve

The problem with the 12 oz salsa began last year when the main mfg discontinued that size. SKS will ship for free on about 25 cases of jars. You choose bulk and then hit the add on button to bring up the lids. The lids are sold in lots of 72 (6 cases) the lids are $19.44 and the jars are $36.00 for a total of $55.44 or .77 cents per jar. Free shipping would be applied at about 30 cases or so. That's a nice deal and you can always co-op with someone for half the jars if you don't need that many. My small business can float on one order for most of the year and they deliver them to your doorstep. HTH

Steve

That sounds great! Thanks for all the info.