Glass Glow Dilemma

Went to order some GG wax from Aztec and they want $56 to ship a 55 lb case to me. Yowzer!!!:shocked2:

So I went to C&S to see if I can pick up and save on shipping. They don't even have it listed on their site! I wonder if they stopped carrying it?!

So I tried Peaks and they are OOS!!

So I googled and discovered that the Candlemakers Store carries it but I would only save about $5 ordering from them vs Aztec.

I really love this wax but wonder if I made a big mistake sticking with it. Seems this wax has more problems than any other wax I have used. I am seriously thinking of mixing regular crystal container palm with feather palm for my containers. At least I used to know a candlemaker that used feather palm and her container candles are absolutely gorgeous. All I remember is she said she got her palm at Candelwic. Candelwic is as close to me as C&S.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this combo? I really hate to retest new wax. At least I have already used and tested crystal palm-- just not feather and not both of them together. But I am seriously considering it.

CS discontinued all their palm waxes several months back, maybe last year. Doubt you could pick up the discussions since the last 3 years are missing in search. There is a company in Missouri that carries it...DP Morris I think. They distribute IGI waxes.

By CS, I mean Candle Science - looks like you were asking for C&S so I don't think we're talking about the same company.

Edited by ah-soy

C&S is for Candles and Supplies. They are in PA and have been carrying this wax up until about 2 weeks ago when I last looked. I already know about Candle Science. They used to be my main supplier for GG until they quit carrying it. I will check out DP Morris but don't require minimums?

I just did a mock order and my shipping was $25 (a little more than last time). Since you are just up the road from me, maybe try again. Possibly a glitch?

Cheers,

Steve

Well what do you know?! This time it read $28 for shipping. Wonder what all that was about. Thx Steve!

Candelwic carries it. They are in PA in Doylestown not far from Philly. I suppose they are the closest to both of us for Feather palm.

Question: Have you blended feather palm with gg? I was sure someone here did. Or maybe that was a blend of crystal pillar and feather palm. I want to get a feathered palm container look with the characteristics of gg. That's why I am thinking of trying a blend with feather. And Candelwic has both the crystal container and feather pillar palm.

Edited by Candybee

Call C&S and make sure they are not just out of stock. I have noticed things "disappear" when they are out of stock until they are available again in the past. Hopefully it is just a short term issue.

This is what I was thinking too. It may be OOS and they have a habit of taking down a product page rather than listing it as "OOS". Drives me nuts when they do that!

Edited by Candybee

I think I remember ordering from Candelwic many moons ago before I started using CandleScience. Think it is their Palm 3 or some such. I have never mixed Feather with GG. I do mix Feather with Starburst alot for my Pillars. I live the way they look and with the Feather in it, the Starburst is much easier to deal with.

Cheers,

Steve

I've been using Candlewics container palm(1) and also the feather(palm 3) and I love both. I always get beautiful votives using their feather palm.

The container palm(1) is also a very pretty crystal pattern in the jars but looks nothing like GG.

I have also mixed the 2 together(it's been months since I have) and the outcome was quite nice but once I used too much feather and I could hear the wax rattling around in the jar(small hex). I wish I could remember how much since I was just playing around I didn't take notes. I'm guessing it was probably around 30 to 35% which was too much feather.

I'm pretty sure it was about 15 or 20% feather mixed with with container palm for a very pretty container candle. They were in hex jars which I don't use anymore. But I am pretty sure it had somewhat of a feather palm look to it.

I actually prefer Candlewics container (1) palm over GG mainly because I like the appearance more and the C and HT I get from both palms are great.

It also helps that they are only about 2 hours away from me so I usually get my orders next day.

I just realised I'm babbling away here and hope I have made sense in what I'm trying to explain Candybee lol

DNJ thats great information. I was hoping that the combo would be a good one. I know I didn't like the crystal palm alone as a container wax and much preferred GG for that. But I always wondered if the feather and crystal blended together might be a good combo. Now I will have to give them a try (soon I hope!)

• 4 weeks later...
Peaks has it.

Thanks. I know. I REALLY hate to have to pay so much more for it AND THEN have to pay additional shipping costs, but oh well, I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I thought about doing some in glass glow and some using candlewic's. I know Candlewic's is not glass glow, but does it throw as well as the glass glow?

IMO Candlewics container palm throws just as well as GG. I haven't used GG in quite a while when the "bad" batchs were going around and CS stopped selling it.

The feather palm throws great and I get beautiful votives every time and they slide out of the molds with ease.

Thanks, dnj! I think I am going to give it a try. I've used the feather palm before. It's nice, but I don't think I'm very good at making the pillars. They smell good, but they burn down the center leaving a shell around the outside...are they supposed to do that, or is the candle supposed to totally be consumed?

but they burn down the center leaving a shell around the outside...are they supposed to do that, or is the candle supposed to totally be consumed?

Do some research here on palm wax. When/if you do, you will find that this is a characteristic of palm wax and that there are several ways for it to be wicked for maximum enjoyment.