Thermometer

Well, got my order today, and have everything but something to gauge the temp on . Could somebody recommend a place that would have one worth buying ? thinking like a michaels or something like that.

Thx again, you guys are awesome......

Darrell, you can find a decent digital thermometer at Kmart, Walmart, or any other general discount store. Visit the kitchenware area; scales and thermometers are both available. HTH, B.

that's what i wanted to hear, i just didn't wanna buy something that i would have to replace in a month or two :) it's all new to me. does it need to clip on to the pour pot or anything......

I don't advise cliping it to your presto pot; it has it's own temp...use yours to verify. Just use it as the directions state; don't leave it setting in a pourpot or in a melt pot, or on a whole chicken. Be smart with your electronics.

lol .... thx

My favorite one I got at Walmart - it's flat and metal with a "guard" at the bottom so although it is sitting on the bottom, the themometor is not - works great in my Presto. However, the probe deal sounds awesome Janet - may have to check that out!

If you have an Ikea near you they have cheap electronic thermometers that work awesome @$7 each. I own 4 of them (+1 to actually use in my kitchen!!)!!! They are cheap so I was expecting to have to be replacing them but I was pleasantly surprised. My workshop ones are 4 yrs old and get used ALOT. The only one I've had to replace is the one in my kitchen...but that is because my husband used it and left it out in the rain on the side of our grill. GRRR

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406

I know it's a lot more than $7 but you might want to eventually consider something like this http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Infrared-Gun-Thermometer__A1038.aspx. It's instant read and no mess. Can be used for so many things. You can find these at lots of vendors.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually gonna go pick this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_73790-56005-IRT207_0__?productId=3136869&Ntt=thermometer&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dthermometer&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID up from lowes today. seems to have pretty good reviews.

I actually have one of those too but use the cheapy Ikea ones more often because they have the alarm when they get to temp. I put it in my melting wax & set it for 5 degrees cooler than I want and it gives me a heads up to keep a closer eye on it for the last few minutes. That way I can be wicking, labeling, etc and don't have to keep stopping to check.

I got the Ryobi version at Home Depot for $20-25.

If your worried about temperature errors, then I would stay away from infrared spot thermometers. These devices measure (actually they dont measure anything they infer temperature based on wavelength) only the surface of the wax, which if you using a Presto Pot with heat elements on the bottom, will always be the coolest level of the wax. Read up on them. They can give errors from the presence of the person using it.

As far as worrying about clipping a thermometer to the Presto Pot..... Since the pot wont be much if any hotter than the wax, it will not change the temp reading at all. In fact, the metal rod type thermometers take an average reading of the entire length of the rod. Since the clip is only attached to the rod over a minute area, it is not likely to change the temp reading.

I use a digital candy thermometer by Component Design. It is a little pricey (around $20) but it's extremely handy, it has an upper and lower alarm so it can be used for the heating up and cooling down. It has a clip on it as well that I attach to the Presto Pot.

I suggest having several to both calibrate in boiling water (or ice) and to keep each other honest.

I agree with Robert that the infrared ones are not very accurate for what we are doing.

I do love the idea of an alarm...

I don't clip mine to the Presto, but I do clip it to the pouring pot (mainly because I only came with two hands).

Edited by Stella1952

I wish I would have read this thread earlier! I just placed an order with CS for some more wax, a few FOs and decided to give their digital thermometer a try. As spark me up said, it is really good to have a back up. I smashed my first glass thermo in the sink and had to run to my local Michaels to get another so I could continue. I was never really thrilled with it. I dropped that second one on Friday, but luckily it was fine. I figured I need to have a backup and the digi version might withstand my clumsiness better than glass! I should have it early this week.

http://www.candlescience.com/equipment/5-digital-thermometer/

When I first stole my hubby's IR themometer about 4 years ago, I tested it against my tranditional, high-quality, mercury thermometer. I found the difference to be insignificant.

Since I am usually stirring something into the wax (FO, dye, additive, etc) a steep temperature gradient does not develop from the surface of the wax to the bottom of the pour pot.

Also, I do not think that candle-making is rocket science. The accuracy needed to for reproducing a constant product is not extreme.

I really like this style thermometer: http://amzn.com/B000HHJ0CK (just ignore the insane shipping and shop elsewhere).

It has a High Temperature Alarm and a Low Temperature Alarm. I also like how it will keep a record of its highest temperature and lowest temperature til you reset it (I'm currently using it to track the temp range of a new electric warmer I bought).

Last year I was able to buy four of these on eBay for about $16. Usually all four would have the same temperature but one of the units was off by 10 deg F, so be sure to check how your own readings might need to be corrected. If there is a way to recalibrate it, I haven't found it, so that is a drawback.