Looking for guidance regaurding tarts

~*Samantha*~

I am brand new to candle making, and very interested in making tarts. I have been reading and researching all over the internet and am still pretty confused on what works best for tarts. A friend of mine used to do them and used soy wax, but I have seen a few on here who prefer parraffin wax. Can anyone tell me what would be the best wax to use for tarts that will be made with clamshells? I thought about buying a starter kit, but I dont plan to use wicks or any of that that comes with the kit, and none of the scents that come with them interest me either. So I think I would be happier to just buy the wax and scents I prefer rather than a kit of items I dont. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The rule of thumb is a pillar/votive wax mixed with a container wax at 50/50 ratio. Whether you want to go soy or paraffin is personal preference. I do a para soy blend for my tarts. You'll just have to test and see what works best for you.

If you are going to make tarts you will need a harder wax that you can unmold. If your doing clamshells then you could use a container wax. Which kind of wax you use depends on you.

You can't use container wax in clamshells. Someone (if not you, the customer) has to unmold them when they put them on their warmer.

You can't use container wax in clamshells. Someone (if not you, the customer) has to unmold them when they put them on their warmer.

Can you explain this? I have SUCCESSFULLY used premium soy container wax for clamshells for several years, as do many others, and don't understand your post. TIA

Can you explain this? I have SUCCESSFULLY used premium soy container wax for clamshells for several years, as do many others, and don't understand your post. TIA

Of course you CAN use anything you want, but container wax is soft. It doesn't pop out of clamshells like tart wax (or votive wax). Container wax is made to ADHERE to the container (or in this case, clamshell). I certainly wouldn't use straight container wax for tarts, but if that's what you want, go for it. There are recommendations, but as crafters, we're all free to do as we please.

Of course you CAN use anything you want, but container wax is soft. It doesn't pop out of clamshells like tart wax (or votive wax). Container wax is made to ADHERE to the container (or in this case, clamshell). I certainly wouldn't use straight container wax for tarts, but if that's what you want, go for it. There are recommendations, but as crafters, we're all free to do as we please.

Just for the proverbial record, I have tested both the votive/pillar wax and the container wax from the company I utilize. I chose the wax that performed the best after lengthy and pricey testing. Obviously, all waxes have different characteristics, so perhaps it is best to only offer commentation/opinions on a product one is familiar with. Just sayin'.

Just for the proverbial record, I have tested both the votive/pillar wax and the container wax from the company I utilize. I chose the wax that performed the best after lengthy and pricey testing. Obviously, all waxes have different characteristics, so perhaps it is best to only offer commentation/opinions on a product one is familiar with. Just sayin'.

lol. I see you failed to note I was responding to candlestick. He mentioned no supplier or specific wax.

I personally would prefer to use a wax that my customers can easily pop out of the clamshell and when finished can remove easily. My experience with a parasoy container wax, you had to scoop out the wax. I prefer it being hard enough to pop out with pressure from a knife, or simply put in the freezer for 2 minutes and it pops out.

I am not sure why you would use container wax for tarts, when the throw in a firmer wax can easilly be acheived. It must be a pain to demold/pop out of clamshells, to each his own.

As a starting point in paraffin I would suggest IGI 4794, heavenly throw cold and hot.

I am not sure why you would use container wax for tarts, when the throw in a firmer wax can easilly be acheived. It must be a pain to demold/pop out of clamshells, to each his own.

I'm sure other people have different reasons, but the reason I use container wax is because I sell very few "tarts" in relation to the number of containers I sell, so I usually pour a batch of containers and a couple of clamshells from the same batch.

I'm sure other people have different reasons, but the reason I use container wax is because I sell very few "tarts" in relation to the number of containers I sell, so I usually pour a batch of containers and a couple of clamshells from the same batch.

I do the same thing and its never been a problem for me or others that use them but I also get other people's points as well.

I started out playing with C3 for melts, which is a container blend, because I wanted to use a supplier in town and I heard that the wax would perform the way I wanted it to.

I've had several issues figuring them out, but unmolding was never one of them. Every clam shell or portion cup I've tried I've been able to pop out easily by just pressing the bottom. I think it has something to do with the flexability and lack of stick of the plastic.

The only clamshells I've had any problem with unmolding are the shallow (2-part) ones from WSP. When I compared them with my regular clamshells I didn't like them anyway--don't hold enough. The problem seems to be because there's not enough wax in each compartment--I don't know why, but I have that same problem with unmolding shallow soaps, so it makes sense that's the reason. Since these hold less than the other clamshells I have, I'm just using them for myself--glad I only got 100 of them!

• 4 months later...

I have used Ecosoya CB 135 container wax for years for my mini muffin size wax melts and they did perfect!! Excellent CT and HT. The molds were free standing in little polypro zipper bags and they were a little on the soft side but nothing that any customer ever complained or wouldn't return for more!

I have used Ecoysoya PB and now using ParaSoy. I really like ParaSoy from Ky. I have only had 1 fragrance that did not have a strong CT or HT. Easy to use.

Are you making clamshells? I just made some using my 416 and it seemed kind of soft, now for my mini muffins it was fine. m going to try the PB for my clamshells