Is your business really slowing down?

I think you'll get replies that say it's always slow this time of year, etc. etc. I'm with you, it is slowing down much more than usual for the summer months. Personally, I see this everywhere. No more wait times at restaurants, parking lots of malls are a little less full, more coupons in our mailers trying to drum up business at local establishments. There is less disposable income now that extra bit of money to fill the tank and at the grocery store. I'm a consumer, too, and we have cut back on the little splurges starting in about May.

I just logged on here after not coming in here for awhile to see you guys are in the same boat I'm in. It's sad really. I cut my prices below cost a few times and nobody bought anything (this was on fb) but now its to the point where I'm trying to get rid of what I have and wait for things to pick back up.

I just ran a huge sale on my slow moving scents just to make some revenue so I can start buying for fall. All 8 scents sold out in 3 days but I went below my wholesale pricing just to move them! :-(

Besides the sale orders I've only had 3 orders in the last month.

But I do have some good news...just got a very nice wholesale order from a new customer that I am really excited about.

I'm actually pretty busy. Since helping out the local animal shelter i've picked up a groomer that is buying Af's, paw print tarts & candles to sell in her shop. The smoke shop is keeping me busy making tarts & incense for 2 stores.

Carol - you're really smart to be thinking outside the box to stay busy. What are Af's? Are your candles just regular or are they animal related some way?

I keep seeing all kinds of online articles about people saving money & cutting costs, this is good to do but small private businesses feel this lack of cash flow the most, cuz that's where people stop spending first. There really needs to be more of a movement of "shopping small" and local to help small businesses survive. JMO

Carol - you're really smart to be thinking outside the box to stay busy. What are Af's? Are your candles just regular or are they animal related some way?

I keep seeing all kinds of online articles about people saving money & cutting costs, this is good to do but small private businesses feel this lack of cash flow the most, cuz that's where people stop spending first. There really needs to be more of a movement of "shopping small" and local to help small businesses survive. JMO

AF's are air freshners. I buy the dog & cat air freshner blanks from oakcourt & they are selling great for the animal shelter. The candles are just my regular scents. I sell them to the animal shelter for x amount & they mark them up & sell them. The lady I work with at the animal shelter works at a GM plant so there is plenty of money for people to buy stuff. She also sets up at the local farmers market & takes my items & dogs & cats.

We are blessed. Our business is doing very well. We don't look at day to day sales but look at where we are compared to last year. So, far June is 12% up. May was 4% down, April was 17% up. May was the first down month we have ever had. We have an in-line store in a mall and have a lot of wholesale accounts. We pay very close attention to what sells, and what does not and devote shelf space to good sellers. We discount and remove slow sellers. We also go to Dallas Market twice a year to see where trends are going and adapt. We have found that we have to be proactive and light on our feet. One interesting note...cash sales are way up; seems cc purchases are slowing.

We are busier... but we've added several new products this year that are selling well. We promote Minnesota grown ingredients in our products and many tourists and locals are buying more local handcrafted products... Several of our wholesale customers have added sections to their stores of "minnesota products" which has also helped boost our sales.

Yeah Summer sales are slow at the farmer's market but they generally are this time of year. Fortunately I have some summer craft shows at the local mountain resorts where lots of tourists go. They love candles-- specially anything country or mountain sounding.

I am sorry to hear that most are having hard times. But I am thrilled to see Carol has some good business. They are going to smoke, so there would be traffic in a smoke shop. And the groomer should sell those little paws. Those are cute. Makes me feel better to know some one is doing something. I have been thinking of anything I can, that would really sell. Other than putting heroin in the candles, haha, or making them out of real beer, hahaha, I haven't found anything that I thought would sell better. I am cutting cost my self. But not on what goes in the jar, just the jar, label, little things that could help. People should buy a candle for their home. They have to stay there a lot more these days, and making the home smell wonderful is well worth the little bit it cost for a candle. That is my selling point. It is not working too good. But it is true. thanks all