Another Credit Card hacked

Just got a call from Chase Fraud department. Someone tried to charge $1700+ to Saudia Arabia Airlines on my new debit/Visa card. It was declined since I didn't have that much in my account. This is the new card I received since the old one was hacked in March.

I have used the card many places locally and online to the following:

BloomingBulb.com

Paypal

OnlineLabels

Trudi

debit cards are truly seriously scary. get rid of them and use credit cards only.

with the debit card you have to get the money back (and deal with bounced check fees, etc. if you don't notice in time), whereas with a credit card you simply don't pay...

They just did a piece on the news last night about debit card fraud. They cited the Michaels fiasco that happened a couple of weeks ago, and said that thousands of bank acounts in our area have been cleaned out!:shocked2:

Our son was in Walmart yesterday and tried to purchase groceries with his debit card, and it kept getting refused, so he got on the phone right at the counter and Bank of America told him that any debit card ending in the last four digits of debit cards they know were compromised have been frozen for the time being. He can only use his debit card at a Bank of America machine now.

Debit card theft is becoming a major issue. Credit cards are highly recommended if you can't use cash. Will this ever get better...scary....:tiptoe:

Im so sorry this happened to you, its really scary that these thing are happening more and more everyday to places that we think are safe. I was just telling my husband that before we know it they are going to figure out how to hack the bank and drain those dry. scares the crap out of me!

Does it make any difference if you call in the orders instead of through the internet?

I usually don't have funds to purchase supplies until the last minute, so money order is not really an option for me at this time.

Edited by NaturallyTru

Maybe even look into one of those "prepaid" credit cards and just load the $$$ onto it and use it when needed? I think Green Dot or something like that is one of them out there, but there are many to choose from.... Just a thought +)

exactly...plus many credit card companies monitor activities on cards and call you when something seems wrong.

debit cards are truly seriously scary. get rid of them and use credit cards only.

with the debit card you have to get the money back (and deal with bounced check fees, etc. if you don't notice in time), whereas with a credit card you simply don't pay...

I'm in the process of investigating one of these. My business card was closed a couple of weeks ago for suspected fraud at a Target store in Brooklyn. The bank gave me the charge amount, date, time, and location. I called the store security to report it and the gal, within seconds, said she found the video of the transaction and a video of the guy's face leaving the store. The guy bought gift cards. She told me that the latest trend was to build a magnetic strip with the bank info and a different perforation on the card that matches a fake driver's license. The card usually only gets one transaction before fraud catches it, so the goal is to buy gift cards and then use the gift cards later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trud,

You were lucky that you didn't have money in your bank account or you will lost $1700.

Credit card hacking is so common these days. Have you blocked your lost card and have reported your bank regarding this transection?

Well, I don't feel left out now :( Mine was hacked this morning w/ charges to some gaming sites. Would like to strangle these people. Both my business & personal accounts. Only purchase I made was yesterday to Candlescience & today I had "fishing" $1.00 charges from paypal & then charges from match.com & some gaming sites.

Edited by marcuset

The first time my card was hacked, my bank worked with me and refunded my money. The second time (new card) they caught it because it I didn't have enough money in my account and it was an unusual charge (Saudia Arabian airline) and called me to check if it was legit. They automatically stopped my card immediately and sent out a new one.

Debit and credit cards not created equal in case of fraud

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2011/06/debit_and_credit_cards_not_cre.html

The last paragraph in that article

O’Meara recommends if you use a debit card, make sure it has a Visa or MasterCard logo because those are treated by card issuers the same as a credit card for fraudulent purchases – except that the money has still left your checking account and may take some time to get back.

I asked and was told years ago that a debit card used as a credit carries the same protection. I use mine everywhere. I don't even know my pin number, never used it, nor would I ever for this exact reason.

Spoke with my bank this morning & they were extremely helpful. Granted, I'm liable for the first $50 (I look at it as I got mugged). Thankfully the Match.com site (charged to my business card) caught it & reversed it. Good grief, don't feel comfortable ordering more supplies now... (Even had another gaming charge this morning before the bank cancelled that card for me).

Edited by marcuset

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I seriously never thought I would get involved in this since I wasn't hit in any of the previous waves BUT logged into my bank account like I do every morning and evening and found 8 bogus charges to Amazon EU and Amazon EU SARL that are pending on the account today. I have NEVER used this card at Amazon nor is it on my account with Amazon. I HAVE used it just one time in the last 3 months - at Fillmore. The only other things that come out are monthly drafts for credit card machine and website and they both run off of my business checking account, not my business debit card. I am very hesitant to order online again unless I use a prepaid visa card or pay through paypal since I have the verification code sent to my phone whenever I use paypal. Thank God my bank has 24/7 tellers online so they cancelled my debit and are issuing a new one and the $900 check I just sent out for the 2nd half of a booth fee will run through with no issues. Thieves suck!