Help request for Aussies

Hi there,

As is typical here, both of our local suppliers are OOS of UV inhibitor, and have been for some weeks now. There's a surprise!

Just wondering if anyone in Aus would have some UV spare that I could grab as a tide over till our illustrious suppliers get there act together once again? It would be so much appreciated.

Failing that, if any of you lovely people in the States would be willing to ship some over to me here (can paypal immediately) as it is very hard to get shipping quotes from the US sites and then the ones that you do get can be way up there, such as 1lb from Bittercreek North at $85 shipping!

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Yeah that thought did cross my mind when I asked for a pound also. Wil be interesting to see what happens when it gets here :) We might see it on Boarder Security or some such TV show.....hahaha

So now I have to ask a question. I realize that the UV is supposed to help candles keep their color over time, but does it help make the original pour more vibrant? I have a few that I like in bright royal blue or some other color and have to add way more dye than is appropriate (starts to clog the wick if I go too strong).

Hey Eric

As far as I can tell it does not brighten the colours at all. We only use the UV in our palm wax line, as thats where the fading is most noticeable. In fact I don't think that I have had a soy candle fade on me yet, although now that I have said that I am sure I will find one :)

For us, the pillars are the biggest concern mainly due to the vibrant, deep colours that Tracy decides to pour them in. We learnt the hard way about UV, after doing an outdoor show back in our early days without any UV in the product. Wow did that short few hours in the sun make a whole lot of difference.

Don;t know if I have answered your question or not, but perhaps someone more scientific than I can assist :)

Thanks for the info. Never seen a two part powder before, not to mention the exorbitant price! I guess if I get really stuck I could try it, but right now I have 1 lb on its way from the States which should keep us out of trouble for a while anyway. Thanks again and I will keep them in mind as I could probably go and pick it up from there as well.

they have been indoors.

If they are indoors and there is fluoro (sp) lighting, then yes you are definitely going to need to lace them with a bit of UV. At little goes a very long way though. Roughly 1 - 2 grams / kg so the 1 lb I have coming is going to go the distance quite well.

Hey Susan

You haven't been around these parts for a while now. You been busy....LOL. Yeah the UV situation is not good right now. Sydney is bloody hopeless as always, seen their jar stock lately - oops sorry you wouldn't have seen it as they have not had any stock for about 8 months!

Just got to hope that our lovely people in customs here don't think I am trying to import 1 lb of some illicit white powder for some other use :)

Just a heads up that even with UVI added to palm wax some candle colors can still fade over time. I went to trade out some candles with two of my shop customers and noticed that one candle from each shop had faded. Both of them were burgundy colored candles that had faded to a slight brownish tint. So I gladly switched them out to make my customers happy.

I use gg palm with UVI and the burgundy reddiglo chips from CS. HTH

Hey Susan

You haven't been around these parts for a while now. You been busy....LOL. Yeah the UV situation is not good right now. Sydney is bloody hopeless as always, seen their jar stock lately - oops sorry you wouldn't have seen it as they have not had any stock for about 8 months!

Just got to hope that our lovely people in customs here don't think I am trying to import 1 lb of some illicit white powder for some other use :)

Hi Richard, yup, I haven't been around much and thank you for noticing :)

During the Summer I was participating randomly at our neighborhood farmer's market until we hit a scorcher of a Saturday. The heat alone about killed me, not to mention how it ravaged my candles. To add insult to injury, I made only enough money to pay for the stall rent. Yeah, I was a bit discouraged.

So I took a break and didn't pour a single candle for six weeks. I returned the weekend before Mother's Day and was surprised when the regular market shoppers were glad to see me back :) With the cooler weather I have made a commitment to myself to try to go every Saturday now. So far it is going well, knock on wood. I'm offering the Maxi Lights and those are a huge hit, and I use them to introduce fragrances before committing to the R&D process of making it into a wooden wick candle. I also need to take a hard look at my product prices and make some adjustments. But now I'm rambling, lol.

Hope all is going well for you and you are taking full advantage of the strong Aussie $. I'm considering ordering some more packaging supplies from the U.S. so let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Take care :)

Susan

• 2 months later...

[bEGIN RANT]

Wow only took 2 months and a bit...LOL. Glad I got mine 2 months ago. I have just about given up on the Aussie suppliers due to their total lack of forward planning. Just look at the glass situation. NCS have been OOS of most items for at least 12 months now! I mean how damn crazy is that?

Its just like me knowing that I can sell 10,000 candles of a particular scent, but I only make 1000. I mean why would I do that, it's just bloody stupid.

I reckon we need to get an Aussie co-op sorted to bring in jars particularly, especially with the string Aussie $ at the moment. maybe we could then all have a receptacle to actually pour our lovely scented wax into for our wonderful customers to burn :)

[/END RANT]

Yes, it boggles the mind. My theory is that ACS is limited on stocking space, but that doesn't mean they can't solve that problem with more money.

Space is definitely my problem. I'd love to order my own glassware and stock up on packaging but I simply do not have the space.

By the way, our work visa here in Oz expires in Dec 2012. My long term goals are getting shorter now, lol. So my stock needs are getting smaller as well. I like the idea of an Aussie co-op... it is definitely needed, but I'm just not sure it is something I can take part in.

Richard/Jonsie,

We sure need to do something about the glassware situation in particular, and supply in general.

You are very correct Richard - the situation in Oz for supply is terrible, and what is even worse is the arrogance of the suppliers. We ended up terribly over-capitalised because we were becoming 'warehouses' so we could ensure supplies. Is not a good situation when you are stockpiling 6 months worth of supplies because suppliers are too unreliable. My stockists expect me to supply them when they order....not 6 months later then materials become available. They simply go elsewhere....Shame we can't! (yet...)

The suppliers continually talk about not being able to keep stock because they do not know what we want.....It would not take a rocket scientist to work out what is needed with the glassware, and I would think that when in the candlemaking business, wax itself would be a no brainer!! :angry2:

Nearly every business journal and book I have read says that for a true competitive, stable and healthy trade environment to exist there must be a minimum of 3 players in the game. Our situation, with only 2, proves how true this is.

If only I had a spare $100K sitting around......It would be interesting to see how 4 containers of wax and glassware dumped into the market and sold at cost would change the current market dynamics. I have the contacts, storage and drive to do it - just need the cash :cheesy2::cheesy2:

On the glassware note - How many people are waiting on Metro's? Size & quantity? Are we better off approaching one of the large glassware importers and have them source and import a bulk quantity for us with their next order? We might end up paying a bit more in distribution freight, but we would know we have them. If we are forced to stockpile from our suppliers, why not stockpile at wholesale prices?

Just some thoughts.....the logistics at the next level start to get difficult....but if we don't investigate the possibilities we will never know.

PM me if there is any interest.

Bart

Bart,

Very interesting proposal, lots to consider there. I completely agree that Oz needs and can support a third candle supplier. I have always fantasized about becoming my own supplier, but not just for candle supplies but for American goods that simply aren't carried by the stores here. Perth is getting flooded with American Expats so the market is constantly growing, but only one small operation on the East Coast to service it. Enough of my rambling, I'll focus back on candles, hehe.

It would be interesting to see how 4 containers of wax and glassware dumped into the market and sold at cost would change the current market dynamics. I have the contacts, storage and drive to do it - just need the cash :cheesy2::cheesy2:

Wow, sold at cost? It would be fun to see that, lol. But if you could get containers of supplies like that, would that be your plan?

I'm having fun imagining a third supplier :)

Susan

Bart,

Wow, sold at cost? It would be fun to see that, lol. But if you could get containers of supplies like that, would that be your plan?

I'm having fun imagining a third supplier :)

Susan

Hi Susan,

It would depend on the motivation for importing. If the motivation was to secure your own supply when our suppliers have none then it makes sense to import a full container (12 metric tonne), keep 4-6 tonne for yourself, then sell the rest off cheap to recoup the capital outlay on the full container load.

You end up getting your own wax cheaper, secure your supply, and hopefully don't get left with a larger quantity of wax than you would want. The secret is to ensure you import the same wax as one of the local suppliers (quite easy to work out) so people know they are getting a similar product to what they are already using, and sell it cheaper than is currently available.

The power of this magnifies when you get several individuals pooling together because the 'keep' quantity becomes larger. Four people wanting 2 tonne each would only leave 4 tonne to be 'sold off' to recoup capital. The risk is only 1 tonne per person which is much better than the scenario of a sole importer where the risk could be several tonne.

The same theory would work for anything that is in demand with supply issues - Metro Jars come to mind. Very hard to get and nearly always OOS.

My theory is simple - Our current suppliers use us as a 'warehouse' because we end up stockpiling when stock is available so we do not get caught out when they dont have it. When there is limited supply from other sources they can exploit this by making shipments bigger but less regular, knowing that it will not sit long in their premises because we all 'jump' on it in large quantities to stockpile it. They recoup their costs quick, but at the expense of those who cannot afford the capital to stockpile.

If I am going to be a pseudo warehouse for the big suppliers....Why not take advantage of buying at true wholesale rates and import it myself to lower my own costs, then pass the excess product on at a reduced rate to clear invested capital?

All sounds good in theory....I have some of the supply contacts, trucking & storage available to me - Just need the $$ to make it all happen :cheesy2::cheesy2:

Bart

Ok in regards to the metro jars. I have just received a price ot of China with a MOQ of only 5000 pieces. I am currently gathering further information on shipping, customs clearance etc, but so far it looks to be a very viable option and we would not be exposed to a huge quantity. This is for the 225g metro jars, ie the mid size, so don't know if that is of any use to anyone. I don't have the funds to bring in myself, however if 3 or 4 of us got together, I reckon we could probably bring them in for < $1 / jar, which in itself is a considerable saving on what we are paying right now, as well as having a decent supply. Shipping time is stated as being approximately 20 days.

PM if interested and I will keep you up to date.

To all down under....

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST EVER AUSTRALIAN TOUR DE FRANCE WINNER - CADEL EVENS!

I bet all your pubs are running dry right about now.

To all down under....

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST EVER AUSTRALIAN TOUR DE FRANCE WINNER - CADEL EVENS!

I bet all your pubs are running dry right about now.

Yes....a great effort! He hails from a town not far from me. His family is ecstatic!

I am not sure what candles he likes tho.. :laugh2:(Sorry....Had to try to keep it on topic for the purists! :P)