How do you actually make money doing this?

comfortscents

eBay used to be so great, I was just trolling around to get some price points and saw this clamshell for 99 cents, and I'm thinking (yes, I think) 99 cents she must be making her $$ on inflated shipping, the add in listing, selling and paypal fees...what's the point?

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Soy-Wax-Tart-Melts-VANILLA-MINT-Tart-Warmers-/330554855362?pt=Candles&hash=item4cf69acfc2

I think that she is sparking interest in her listing by starting it low. She also is putting herself at the top of the search this way when sorted by price. I used to sell on Ebay and I started many items ridiculously low. Most of the time they never sold that low. People like to see active bidding and sometimes the price actually zooms to past what it is worth. I am just guessing that there is a method to her madness.

I have to agree with with Noodle, she's most likely thinking a bit of money lost might be gained later on. Get her name and product out and maybe people will come back to buy more? If it works it's not a bad idea... If it doesn't... Which with ebay I'd say it won't. I have a good feeling most people would just go to the next cheapest person once her prices go up. At least that's my thoughts on it :)

I have saw many many auctions with clamshells way cheap and tarts the same way and no inflated shipping.

I do my calculations to the penny on a spreadsheet and no way I could do anything as cheap as they do..

UNLESS

I used the cheapest oils and low percentage of oils??

I was wondering about that foaming thing, too!!! Rather strange. I'm thinking I would never try those. But at least with no dye it releases less carcinogens and doesn't dilute the FO. WTF? Lies and/or ignorance. Bring it on...

Cheers,

Steve

The foaming thing caught my eye as well guys....And the no dye thing, hell just say your going "all natural" then right?? =)

Anyways, the others I think are right as well here, they only have 362 feedback and for Ebay....that's a newbie still... so start them low, get your name out there and hope some sucker will fall for the lies and buy more later =) It could also be that Ebay was running a deal before where you got I think 50 or 100 FREE listings per month but the starting price had to be .99, they changed that now to any starting price and you can have a "buy it now" price as well....you only pay the closing cost (somewhere around 12% + PayPal fees) Oh and did I forget to mention that now they charge closing cost on the bid amount AND shipping???

Ahhh, just another reason we left Ebay a while ago and made the handmade movement with Etsy and Artfire =)

Ahhh, just another reason we left Ebay a while ago and made the handmade movement with Etsy and Artfire =)

I could not agree more. I also noticed the crowd is so much different on Etsy. They respect handmade products and it is a better clientele overall. On Etsy, I feel like I am selling in a boutique. On Ebay, I felt like I was selling at a garage sale.

I recognized the label and yup, they sell on Etsy too. Selling for only $2.75.

Well I would assume they "hope" it goes above that on Ebay, but if the gripe here is the cost of $2.75....I better go hide in the corner with our retail on clamshells at $2.50 =) *runs to the corner and surrounds himself with foaming wax melts* MUAHHAAAHHAAHAHA :tiptoe:

I was wondering about that foaming thing, too!!! Rather strange. I'm thinking I would never try those. But at least with no dye it releases less carcinogens and doesn't dilute the FO. WTF? Lies and/or ignorance. Bring it on...

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!! (my quote)

My soy melts have never foamed up. I wonder what he has mixed in to do that?

I don't know about soy but when I first started testing gelmelts, if you "overloaded" them with fragrance(this was on a tealight melter) they would fizz and pop, kinda like the sound of bacon in a fry pan. :laugh2:If you kept up melting them, eventually the fragrance would burn off. And before anyone says anything, those were first attempts, and I was testing to see if the actual fragrance load was what I was told it was. I was as skeptical 13 years ago as I am today.:laugh2:

All I can think is that they're using too much fragrance.:tiptoe: