464 Testing

BCS sells all their CD wicks in 6" length. And they have CD 5's. Wish I could get my melt pools to even come close to looking like that!! I have never had a melt pool show the depth down the side of the container. They get close to the edge but that's about it:sad2: It does catch up though after a couple burns. Of course I use a para-soy, so maybe it burns differently :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

For these 4" containers I have found the either two HTP 83s or two CD5s work well. I have also tried to single wick this with a single CD wick. I have tried 18, 20 and 22. The CD18 didn't produce a FMP and the CD22 was too not. The CD20 seems to be a good match but both the 20 and the 22 mushroom badly with 8% FO. Not sure where to go at this point with the single wick idea but at least double wicking works.

The CD20 seems to be a good match but both the 20 and the 22 mushroom badly with 8% FO. Not sure where to go at this point with the single wick idea

Reducing the FO percentage seems logical. How bad is "badly"?

The link below shows a wick that is mushrooming badly...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?98059-Why-are-these-lx-series-wicks-mushrooming-so-hard!!!!

Photos would be helpful.

Reducing the FO percentage seems logical. How bad is "badly"?

The link below shows a wick that is mushrooming badly...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?98059-Why-are-these-lx-series-wicks-mushrooming-so-hard!!!!

Photos would be helpful.

Yes dropping to 6% was my first thought but why if I can double wick at 8%? How bad, three large wings off of the top of the wick, I've made fun of wicks at BBW with less mushroom :( Should teach me to keep my mouth shut :lipsrseal

I've tried a HTP 1212 before which didn't produce a FMP so I might revisit HTP wicks and try 1312 and maybe 126.

dropping to 6% was my first thought but why if I can double wick at 8%

Candles burn cleaner with lower FO percentages. It also costs more to make. Does the extra 2% really matter enough with the HT to justify the extra expense and trouble with the wick?

I got in this thread late, sorry.

There seems to be some surprise when downwicking the HTP that the pool actually got deeper.

This was predicted in the ROC tables produced by wicks unlimited.

The HTP 104 has a ROC of .26 and a flame height of 2 inches with a pool diameter of 2.1 inches. Dunno the wax they used. I suspect a medium melt point paraffin.

Compare to the HTP 73 (several sizes down) that has a ROC of .23 (nearly the same) and a FH of 2.1 (hotter!) and a MP of 2, nearly the same.

I'd start looking at HTP 62 or less. That MP in the photos is way high and you can downwick a lot, especially with soy.

http://www1.stimpson.com/~stimpson/WicksUnlimited.pdf

That MP in the photos is way high and you can downwick a lot, especially with soy.

I would have to disagree. I think the MP with the candle on the right is perfect. Soy will produce this crisp line between the solid and melted wax. I would power burn though to make sure it didn't get to much deeper.

Edited by Dana

So on a per wick basis, lower than the published ROCs

This is not a surprise. Wick tests by manufacturers are conducted with paraffin, not soy wax, which is more viscous and harder to burn.

ROC tables produced by wicks unlimited.

Those tables were not produced by Wicks Unlimited - they are produced by the different wick manufacturers and published by Wicks Unlimited. This is why they are considered only to be guidelines by veggie wax candlemakers. The different formulas of soy waxes produced by different manufacturers are yet another factor that cause the tables to be inaccurate for vegetable wax chandlers.

I think the MP with the candle on the right is perfect.

I think both candles are overwicked, but the one on the right less so.

Soy will produce this crisp line between the solid and melted wax.

The line may visually appear crisp, but soy wax has a wide area of soft, viscous wax between solid and liquid, unlike palm wax. With 100% soy blends, the MP may appear to have a "crisp" line, but the bottom of the MP is quite soft and semi-liquid. With soy blends that have palm wax and other additives in the formula to raise the MP and "tame" the texture, the period between liquid and solid narrows somewhat, but the bottom of the MP is still semi-liquid. Because soy wax is so opaque when solid and semi-liquid, it fools the eye into thinking that the wax is more solid than it really is, when, in fact, it may be a very thick liquid. Probing the bottom of the MP tells the story better than does relying on the visual observation.

I think that this container may become quite hot during the last half of the burn. Because a 4" soy container candle can be effectively single-wicked, it's hard to double-wick without producing a hot container in the later hours of the candle's life. I think many folks worry too much about small 'shrooms, especially with higher FO loads and the basic viscosity of the wax. At some point, one has to make compromises with wicking, especially in light of the basic properties of the wax, the additives to the hydrogenated soybean oil (lecithin, distilled mono glycerides, other veggie oils, etc.) and the choices made by the chandler concerning FO load and dye. As one member here observed, small 'shrooms toward the end of the burn period are an indication that the wick needs trimming. ;)

Yes the doubled wicked CD-5 did get a little hot at the end of the burn but until I can find a single wick that doesn't look like it is growing 3 heads I will have to stick with this combination. I am going to send out a tester to a friend and I will ask for feedback and pics, container heat will be one of them.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am still testing this container single wicked with the 464 and am so far pleased with ECO-16, a little mushroomy but not bad actually. I will try the next size down (ECO-14) too. :)

Day two with this wick and it looks terrible, a small and feeble flame which is barely making a 2" melt pool. Very disappointing.

• 1 year later...
That is correct....I place mine with the metal tabs just touching and so they curl to the outside. I have only tested a few FO's in the 16 oz. apothecary with 464 and double wicked with CD 5's and they did well. Also singled wicked with a CD 20 which also did well. No color and 1 1/4 oz. FO pp wax. CD wicks do well for me with this wax.

I tested a few with comparable sized HTP wicks and the CD just did better.

When comparing Double CD 5 vs Single CD 20 using 464, which had a better hot throw and also how much faster did the double wicked candle burn compared to the single wicked?

Glad i found his thread. I tried eco 14 & 16 to single wick a 4 " apothecary. No luck. I am double wicking with two eco 10s. I feel it is a little overwicked. Two eco 8 s look good til about half way and they start to drown out...i have only tried it with 2 frag though. The eco 8 double that is...

• 2 weeks later...