Hi! I'm Shellie

Hello everyone. I've been reading and reading all the great topics here. I have thought of making my own candles for years but never actually followed through. I am currently waiting to receive a soy candle making kit I ordered. I'm excited to get started. I hope one day to turn it in to a side business but after all my reading I realize I have a lot to learn first. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I'm sure I will have lots of questions once I get started. :)

Hi Shellie! (That's my sister's name too) Welcome to the board. I have yet to start too as I am reading, reading and reading some more. My supplies will be here in the next few weeks and I can't wait to start either.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of your stuff!

Thank you all for the welcome. I received my kit today. I'm excited and a little nervous. Tomorrow will be the day I jump in and get started. I've read that to clean your pouring pot after you have poured your candles you can put it in a warm oven and wipe clean with a paper towel. Is that how you all do it? I think I should also re-read some of the posts on cooling/curing. I think I read something about putting a box over them so they cool slowly. Wish me luck and thanks again for the warm welcome!

I try to avoid the oven or burners. I wipe the pot down with a paper towel immediately after pouring. Sometimes I hit the pot with a heat gun and then wipe it. Rarely, but sometimes, I use mold cleaner or wash with soap.

Oven burners and wax are not a good combination so despite what a lot of folks here do, be careful. A wax spill in the oven will make you really wish you found other ways of doing things.