problem keeping wick centered

There are wick centering tools you can use to keep the wick in place. Most candle suppliers carry them and they are cheap.

Until you get some you can use the poor mans wick centering tool-- chopsticks, pencils, popsicle sticks, etc. Wrap the wick around the stick to tighten and hold the wick in place.

Poor man wick centering tools . . . :laugh2:

Actually I have wick holders from various suppliers but still like & use clothespins with the spring. They work great in jars less than 3" in diameter.

Dez25 - don't forget wick stickums, or something to adhere the wick to the bottom of the jar. You didn't mention if you are using them or not.

Edited by Brenda (OH)

no i am not using the stick ums i was reading somewhere that you really don't need them???

Oh no, I think sticking the tabbed wick to the bottom of the container is very important to keeping the wick straight. Yes there are other techniques, like pushing down through the semi-hardened wax but that's not for me. I use Yaley Tacky Wax that I get from Michaels.

I use a hot glue gun and adhere wick tabs to the bottom of the container. You don't want a candle burning down low and then the wick begins to float. :shocked2: To keep it tight & centered when you pour, you can use popscicle sticks and wooden clothes pins.

Agree with EVERYONE above- wick centering tools are a lifesaver, and not sure how we ever lived without the stick ums! My zinc wicks I only use stick ums, because they are rigid enough on their own, just tug lightly after pouring and I have no issues.

Kind of like the feeling you have when you start using wick pins for votives! :shocked2:

I use the glue pot too...bought it in Michael's in the floral supply section. I couldn't find it in the Michael's stores around here. There was a Michael's not too far from our vacation home in DE and I was able to buy one there. I loaded up on the glue while I was there. I must have 8 BIG bags of the specific glue sticks you are supposed to use in it. I have never had a problem with a wick coming loose and shifting. Even when I melt the wax out of the bottom of test jars...I still have to use a butter knife to pry the glue off of the bottom of the glass jars.

I vote for glue gun glue (gun or glue pot) and I vote for stickums. Both hold well.

Glue dots, on the other hand, are terrible. I don't know why candle suppliers sell them. Maybe for decorations or packaging, but I've had 100 percent failure when I pour the wax in the jar. I'm sorry I bought them and even more concerned that the supplier advertised them for holding wicks in glass containers. They don't.

Sticking the wick down securely has more purpose than just holding it in place while the candle is poured. In fact, it's most important function is one of safety.

I use Permatex High Temp Silicon Gasket Sealer (Red). It's rated for temps of 600°F. At the end of a container when the wax is liquid, if the temp gets high enough to soften or melt the adhesive, it will break the seal allowing the wick to continue sucking liquid wax from the bottom and not self-extinguishing at the top of the wicktab as designed. Not only can this occur, but if the adhesive lets go, the wick can "wander" (via heat currents in the wax & container) to the side of the container, sooting the glass, superheating and possibly shattering it.

This is what happens when high-temp hot glue softens at the end of a candle:

(black stuff on the lower left of the test candle is writing; the black stuff on the right is soot. The candle glass became hot as a chili pepper before the wick finally sucked all the fuel it could from underneath and went out).

053107037.jpg

Stickums, glue dots, hot glue are all fine for testers but for candles to be sold to the public (or given away, etc.), wicktabs should be secured by an adhesive that will not soften or melt. It only takes one failure to cause a safety hazard. The idea here is for the candle to self-extinguish even if the customer doesn't follow the rules of saffe candle burning and fails to extinguish it when there's only 1/2" remaining in the bottom of the container.

Edited by Stella1952

Here's what I do. I bought one of those meat thermometers (straight metal stick with meter on top) and it has a plastic sleeve. I place my wick in the sleeve (you can use a pen barrell too) and then place a piece of 3m mounting foam (walmart green plaid in squares or on a roll) and holding onto the end of the wick, center it on the bottom of the jar. I place a large craft stick with a hole drilled in the center on top of the jar and secure the wick with a clip. Some folks twist their wick several times (especially cd wicks) so that they turn as they burn and give an even burn through the life of the candle. Easy peasy. HTH

Steve

Some folks twist their wick several times (especially cd wicks) so that they turn as they burn and give an even burn through the life of the candle.
I use CDs & CDNs and am a twister. Only a few turns does the trick. Despite concerns about differences in how the wick may perform, I have not found that a few twists alters the performance at all, except to make a more concentric burn. I use bowtie wick holders to hold the wicks securely at the top. Can use them for a variety of sizes in the position shown in the link below, or upside down. They work great. :)

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlemakingequipment_bow-tie-wick-bar.html

Edited by Stella1952

Stella,

Do you put a dot of this adhesive on the wick tab and secure to glass? How long to dry before pouring? About how many wicks can you secure with a tube of sealant? thanks in advance,

Eve

There are wick centering tools you can use to keep the wick in place. Most candle suppliers carry them and they are cheap.

Until you get some you can use the poor mans wick centering tool-- chopsticks, pencils, popsicle sticks, etc. Wrap the wick around the stick to tighten and hold the wick in place.

i haven't read all the replies, but even with the centering tools, my wicks shift as the candle hardens. why is that?